Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

DPA MMC4015

(1/3) > >>

WiFiJeff:
Has anyone here used the DPA 4015 wide cardioids?  Any take on their sound and best uses?  Limitations?

Jeff

rigpimp:
Your post and aaronji's were posted around the same time.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=183430.0

Gutbucket:
Aaron bought Page's 4015's AFAIK.
Moke used to run a pair as well.

I once patched into a guy running them in my "home base" amphitheater back in 2006 and that recording served as a primary reference against which I judged my recording techniques developed there over the years.

I've not run them myself, but really like what I've heard from them.  Out of my price range, but perhaps my favorite microphone (that I've not used) in the appropriate situation.   Very natural and open sounding with pretty much the same response all around, just reduced sensitivity far off-axis. Like a top class DPA omni but with some welcome directionality.  Use them where you'd use omnis but gain some directional presence.  They'll shine in good acoustics, and may overly expose poor acoustics.

DPA sent me their surround recording sampler a number of years back and of their three featured Decca-tree surround arrays (5 x 4006; 3 x 4006 + 2 x 4011; 5 x 4015) and I preferred the array using five 4015 over those using all omnis or omnis + cardioids to a significant margin.

mfrench:
I ran 4028 compact sub-cards.  I loved the fact that they had omni bass response, and directionality. If I were to go to DPA directional mics again, it would be with the sub-cards.
But, no 4015 for me.

Gutbucket:
4016 for nobody, there is no DPA mic of that # that I'm aware of.

4028 and 4015 use the same subcardioid pattern capsule.  The 4028 is of the older now-discontinued hard-wired compact series.

The other DPA capsule which interests me that I've not seem much of around here is the 4018 supercardioid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version