Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ultra-portable rig?  (Read 8711 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Ultra-portable rig?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 01:58:10 PM »
OK, I've just got a pair of Chris Church's CAFS (tiny omnis).  I haven't recorded music, yet, but ambient recordings sound great!  Now this is a great rig: CAFS > SonyPCM-D50 (plug in power).  Stay tuned...

Richard

Now that's what I'm waitin' for Richard.  My CAFS are en route from Chris.  I just taped Foreigner tonight with a set of CA-14 cards > CA Ugly > Sony PCM-D50.  It sounds very nice.  I will be upping to DIME in the morning for anyone interested. 
Link added:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=231140

David
Plug the mics directly into the recorder (plug in power).  No need for a preamp in front of the Sony!

Richard

I am also running CA-14's into a D50, but I need the 9100 for gain.  I am finding that I am running +20 on the 9100 and then using the gain on the D50 (to about "5") to get decent levels running 24/48.  This would be for rock shows.  I'd be a little timid to just run with plug-in power.
You're reading that +20 switch wrong, maybe?  I think it means *attenuate* by 20.

For ambient or quiet shows put it at zero.
For rock shows put it at 20.
Both mics directly in, with plug in power on.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ae35unit

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 12:22:42 AM »
Just get yourself a Microtrack 2 and DVD batts for the V3 and you can fit your current rig in a small bag.  Other than getting a new chip for the V3 and Microtrack to work it's a quick easy fix for less than 300.  If it aint broke don't fix it.  Just my 0.02.
Barrett

Hm, interesting suggestion.  I suppose the 4021's > V3 > recorder would work okay if I could figure out how to mount the 4021's to a hat or something.  I have the ORTF / XY mount for the 4021's, but I've always used it on a mic stand.

My main aim is to do away with the big batteries, bags and mic stands so that I can just wander in, hit record and wander off when the mood strikes me.

So ...

• anyone have suggestions on how to mount the DPA's in a nice portable way?  On a hat or something?
  • I'm not familiar with the DVD battery thing, have a link or something explaining it further?
  • ugh ... new chip for the V3?  What's the deal there?

I guess this is what I get for not paying attention for 5 years  :P

Thanks for the help guys!

Offline ae35unit

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 02:55:14 AM »
Okay, perhaps I can partially answer some of my own question here ...

It sounds like I might want a couple of those little 4060 or 4061 mics rather than my 4021's if I'm looking for a nice portable setup.

Right?

Anyone have any clever tips about mounting these mics on a hat or such?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 09:03:39 AM »

It sounds like I might want a couple of those little 4060 or 4061 mics rather than my 4021's if I'm looking for a nice portable setup.

Right?

Anyone have any clever tips about mounting these mics on a hat or such.

As suggested by at least one moderator the discussions of stealth concealment techniques is best conducted out of public view.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »
OK, I've just got a pair of Chris Church's CAFS (tiny omnis).  I haven't recorded music, yet, but ambient recordings sound great!  Now this is a great rig: CAFS > SonyPCM-D50 (plug in power).  Stay tuned...

Richard

Now that's what I'm waitin' for Richard.  My CAFS are en route from Chris.  I just taped Foreigner tonight with a set of CA-14 cards > CA Ugly > Sony PCM-D50.  It sounds very nice.  I will be upping to DIME in the morning for anyone interested. 
Link added:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=231140

David
Plug the mics directly into the recorder (plug in power).  No need for a preamp in front of the Sony!

Richard

I am also running CA-14's into a D50, but I need the 9100 for gain.  I am finding that I am running +20 on the 9100 and then using the gain on the D50 (to about "5") to get decent levels running 24/48.  This would be for rock shows.  I'd be a little timid to just run with plug-in power.
You're reading that +20 switch wrong, maybe?  I think it means *attenuate* by 20.

For ambient or quiet shows put it at zero.
For rock shows put it at 20.
Both mics directly in, with plug in power on.

Richard

I am so use to using LINE IN going back to my Sony DAT days because running MIC IN I ran the risk and on several occasions brickwalled.

I have a local band/club rock show to attend in a couple weeks and will try MIC IN with the plug in power on, -20 on the switch and see what happens. (CA-14 > D50).

Thanks Richard.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 02:44:54 PM »

Right?

Anyone have any clever tips about mounting these mics on a hat or such?

I have sent you a PM regarding your 4021's / my 4061s & R09 setup.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline ae35unit

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »
As suggested by at least one moderator the discussions of stealth concealment techniques is best conducted out of public view.

Sorry about that - I'm not really interested in stealth, just convenience.

Stealthing is one of the more inconvenient taping activities out there, so I've got zero interest in it.  In keeping with this philosophy, I'd like to find a nice setup to avoid the need for a mic stand.

Offline barrettphisher

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
Just get yourself a Microtrack 2 and DVD batts for the V3 and you can fit your current rig in a small bag.  Other than getting a new chip for the V3 and Microtrack to work it's a quick easy fix for less than 300.  If it aint broke don't fix it.  Just my 0.02.
Barrett

Hm, interesting suggestion.  I suppose the 4021's > V3 > recorder would work okay if I could figure out how to mount the 4021's to a hat or something.  I have the ORTF / XY mount for the 4021's, but I've always used it on a mic stand.

My main aim is to do away with the big batteries, bags and mic stands so that I can just wander in, hit record and wander off when the mood strikes me.

So ...

• anyone have suggestions on how to mount the DPA's in a nice portable way?  On a hat or something?
  • I'm not familiar with the DVD battery thing, have a link or something explaining it further?
  • ugh ... new chip for the V3?  What's the deal there?

I guess this is what I get for not paying attention for 5 years  :P

Thanks for the help guys!

Just use the search function, you will find that you can power the V3 off of a very small DVD Lithium Battery, you can pick these up anywhere from 25-50 a piece.  You can get a custom cable from Ed at www.kindkables.com for $20.  The Mictrotrack can be had for 200-250 you can get a CF card for 40.  The chip swap out on the V3 is VERY easy and Grace will send you instructions and the chip for free.  There was some sort of issue with older V3's and the MT2 for some reason.  You could  >:D with that rig I'm fairly certain, people do with more.  Plus for open situations you are in a tiny all in one bag with a clamp if you want.  Plus I always liked the 4021>v3 combo!
Barrett
Mics: ADK A51 TL's C12s, at853's (card, hyper, sub, and omni caps), Michael Joly Premium Electronics Modded Oktava mk012s (Card, Hyper and Omni caps), Busman BSC1 Stereo Kit, and Oktava 319.
Pres: V3 opti/M-S Modded, BM2p+ UA5, church audio 9100, 3 wire BB
Recorders:  Busman Mod Tascam DR-680, ACM HD-P2, HD-P2, MT2 x2, D50, M10, JB3 x2, M1, D8

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
Stealthing is one of the more inconvenient taping activities out there, so I've got zero interest in it.  In keeping with this philosophy, I'd like to find a nice setup to avoid the need for a mic stand.

Not having a stand is very inconvenient IMO.   Not being able to move, go to the restroom, get drinks, sit down, talk to people or generally enjoy yourself is not convenient....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:22 PM »

Maybe the OP meant that it's "inconvenient" from a moral point of view?!

Not having a stand is very inconvenient IMO.   Not being able to move, go to the restroom, get drinks, sit down, talk to people or generally enjoy yourself is not convenient....

Depends where you live really. At the venues where I tape, a stand would immediately attract drunken wooks, or just obnoxious concert goers claiming that it's in the way.

For me it's worth the sacrifice of not chatting and moving, if I can bring home a perfect tape undisturbed. And when I carry valuable gear, I don't drink anyway... I rather pamper myself with a separate night out at the pub with friends, when I can enjoy the music in the bar without worries.

But I digress.

My question to the OP: If you really love a band, and the management/venue don't allow taping, would you leave your rig at home? Or stealth?

Your answer will decide what type of gear you should get.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:30:43 PM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2009, 04:30:54 PM »
4021 > sonosax > Korg MR-1
or
4021 > Beyer MV-100 > Korg MR1

very small setup.  The MR-1 is on sale for about $300-$400  now, and you can find a MV100 for around $200-$400
Occasionally....music mics record

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com