Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording stopped with R09HR  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Andrea82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
Recording stopped with R09HR
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:36:15 AM »
Yesterday i was at a concert, i was recording with my edirol r09hr plus stc-9000 and cardioids. Recording at 24/96 on a 8gb card. This was my 5th recording.
When the concert was finished i sadly noticed that the recorder was off.

Today at home i notice that in the memory card there is a file of 1,34 gb.
But it's not a valid wav file, because i can't play it.

Only VLC Media Player can play it. I can listen 41 minutes.

Now, I wonder what could have happened...i press the HOLD button after i press REC...
Is it some crash of the software that recording?

Thank you to all for the reply

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Recording stopped with R09HR
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:55 AM »
Sounds like the recorder lost power.

I've had the exact same results from a different recorder and it was because the recorders batteries died.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
Sounds like the recorder lost power.

I've had the exact same results from a different recorder and it was because the recorders batteries died.

The batteries are new, and they are full charge. Very strange.  ::)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
Did you reformat the flash card yet?

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »
Yes i have formatted, but before i copy all the files.

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:13:28 PM »
I don't know about the HR variant, but the basic RO-9 has a very poor battery compartment door.  I find if you bump the device the door will "give" and momentarily make the batteries disconnect, shutting down the device.   

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 02:55:51 PM »

After you copy off your files, you should format the card before your next recording session.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
If it ever happens again, check the manual for the repair function. You could have easily fixed the 41 minute file that it was saved in the HR so it would be a valid wave file. The repair function is much easier than trying to repair the file by other means.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »

I would have made an extensive effort to recover any audio from the card before writing to it, formatting, etc.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 04:26:57 PM »
I would have made an extensive effort to recover any audio from the card before writing to it, formatting, etc.

Good advice, but with all the recent Edirol recorders there is a built in repair function that will, in a couple of clicks, turn the unplayable file into a playable wave file. I assume it does this by repairing the header. I've used it with my R-09 and it works like a charm. No extensive effort is necessary with the Edirols.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:23:36 PM »
Good advice, but with all the recent Edirol recorders there is a built in repair function that will, in a couple of clicks, turn the unplayable file into a playable wave file.

Feel free to roll those dice, but the golden rule of data recovery is not to modify the original unless you have a complete backup image.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »
Feel free to roll those dice, but the golden rule of data recovery is not to modify the original unless you have a complete backup image.

Well we all have our own opinions and the risk we are willing to take to make things less of a hassle. Mine is that the Edirol repair function is not really rolling the dice, although of course you could save the file to another disc first if you're afraid of it screwing up the file.  There have been no reports that I know of the Edirol repair function not working & it is really easy to use. And now that I think of it, I doubt if it's possible for it to ruin the file. All it does is to change the header to what it thinks is correct. If it wrote the header wrong, you'd be no worse off than you were before and you could still try other methods to correct the header.

My posts are generally meant to attempt to make things easy for relatively inexperienced members or ones who are not into the technical stuff. For those people, trying to repair the header in other ways can seem really overwhelming.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:53:57 PM by fmaderjr »

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 05:22:15 AM »

Well we all have our own opinions and the risk we are willing to take to make things less of a hassle. Mine is that the Edirol repair function is not really rolling the dice, although of course you could save the file to another disc first if you're afraid of it screwing up the file.  There have been no reports that I know of the Edirol repair function not working & it is really easy to use. And now that I think of it, I doubt if it's possible for it to ruin the file. All it does is to change the header to what it thinks is correct. If it wrote the header wrong, you'd be no worse off than you were before and you could still try other methods to correct the header.

My posts are generally meant to attempt to make things easy for relatively inexperienced members or ones who are not into the technical stuff. For those people, trying to repair the header in other ways can seem really overwhelming.

So i had to leave the file into the memory card?
And where is the Edirol repair function?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 06:59:44 AM »

The repair function is described on p. 80 of the manual.

If you copy the file you saved back to card in the HR, the repair function may work. I tested it and it did work for me, but the file I copied back to the HR had not been changed in any way and the HR was set to the same recording parameters that it had been recorded in. I don't know if it would work in all cases.

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »

The repair function is described on p. 80 of the manual.

If you copy the file you saved back to card in the HR, the repair function may work. I tested it and it did work for me, but the file I copied back to the HR had not been changed in any way and the HR was set to the same recording parameters that it had been recorded in. I don't know if it would work in all cases.

Thank you very much, it works, the file is now playable, great!!!

It's a pity that my unit lost power from battery, i don't understand again.. :(
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 08:19:01 AM by Andrea82 »

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »
Glad it worked for you.

Don't know why you lost power with good batteries unless you had the problem that anr described, which shouldn't really be the case with the HR. My batteries seem to fit securely even with the battery door off.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 05:26:37 AM »
Yesterday i was at a concert, i was recording with my edirol r09hr plus stc-9000 and cardioids. Recording at 24/96 on a 8gb card. This was my 5th recording.
When the concert was finished i sadly noticed that the recorder was off.

Today at home i notice that in the memory card there is a file of 1,34 gb.
But it's not a valid wav file, because i can't play it.

Only VLC Media Player can play it. I can listen 41 minutes.

Now, I wonder what could have happened...i press the HOLD button after i press REC...
Is it some crash of the software that recording?

Thank you to all for the reply

No problem if you recorded on an R-09HR.

The recorder has a built-in file recovery application that was intended for exactly this sort of thing.

It should recover your file easily.

Just read the manual for how to do it - it's HERE if you have lost the original.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »

Agree. I had the exact same thing happen as the OP - power failure (luckily only 2min before end of show) on the deck.  Used repair, got an almost-complete show.  Since all that is wrong is an incomplete header in that case, I don't know what more extensive data recovery efforts are necessary.

Interesting note, it seems that the more advanced Edirol units like the R-44 do not require this to be done; I had my 44 lose power once when the DVD battery became disconnected, and it still wrote readable files.  I wonder if the newer Edirol portables all do that, like the R-5.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline skelly14120

• Taperssection Regular
  • My little buddy
    • Shows Recorded -incomplete
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
Ive had it happen its the battery problem . So I get tend to be extra paranoid when im running  >:D and look down to see if its still going if i get bumped in a crowded venue
Open
At2021>Edirol R-44

Stealth

CA14>St9100 Ver 4.3>Edirol R-09HR

SBD
SBD >Tascam Dr07
SBD

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 12:42:24 AM »
I tape the snot out of the unit.  I tape the 3.5mm mike plug; I tape all the buttons (except lock), I tape the indicator light, I tape the battery door shut.  Its basically a big ball of gaffers tape with a small window for the VU meters............
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:41 AM »
Its basically a big ball of gaffers tape with a small window for the VU meters............

Yo dude!  We couldn't find our hack, so we been usin yer little tape ball.  It's all cool bro!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.166 seconds with 49 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com