Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: lemosax with mbho-capsules possible?  (Read 3384 times)

Offline omni

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
lemosax with mbho-capsules possible?
« on: April 04, 2007, 06:48:32 AM »
I'm looking for a fairly small rig with low noise and high gain as I record quiet sources quite often. Does anybody know if I can connect the mbho capsules with the sonosax sx/m2-ls? What cables would I have to use for that. Sure, the Schoeps version is nice, but out of my budget.
Any thoughts?

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: lemosax with mbho-capsules possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:24:09 PM »
I'm looking for a fairly small rig with low noise and high gain as I record quiet sources quite often. Does anybody know if I can connect the mbho capsules with the sonosax sx/m2-ls? What cables would I have to use for that. Sure, the Schoeps version is nice, but out of my budget.
Any thoughts?

the lemo sax only works with schoeps. the schoeps makes a special kcy cable for it.  you have always get a regular sax with the xlr ins and outs.  I love the setup.  have been running it for a few months now.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:26:26 PM by jmerin »
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »
omni, i'm the only person i know who has run the mbho > sxm2 combo.  i didn't like it nearly as much as i love the mbho > mp2 sound.

at least one example is on archive.org for your perusal.  all told, i think i ran the combo a couple of dozen times before selling the sxm2.

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »

the lemo sax only works with schoeps. the schoeps makes a special kcy cable for it.

Not necessarily true (fyi the LS is just the older version of LS2)

Designed for use by sound engineers, working frequently with the same pair of condenser or electret microphones, this version provides the same high quality amplification and features as the SX-M2.

The difference between the two versions is that the SX-M2/LS allows the user to directly connect the capsules without the microphone body thus creating a significant diminution of power consumption.

Technical changes

To be able to place the electronics of the microphone body inside the SX-M2/LS, LEMO connectors are used instead of the NEUTRIK XLR for the microphone inputs.

LEMO in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

LEMO in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

The SX-M2/LS can be used for all condenser or electret microphones having the possibility of changing the capsules on the microphone body, such as: Colette series of Schoeps, Blue Line of Sanken, or the similar line of Neumann.

It is important for these kind of microphones to use a good quality active cable. When buying the cable from a microphone manufacturer, do inform them that the amplification electronics often used in the cables is not required.

I'm thinking someone could make a miniXLR > Lemo connector with the above pin assignments.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:06:38 PM by Rick »
Retired Taper

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 05:05:54 PM »
hmmm... I wonder if anyone has ever hacked a set of mk46 (AKG actives) and changed the connectors to lemos. wonder how that would sound?

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »
hmmm... I wonder if anyone has ever hacked a set of mk46 (AKG actives) and changed the connectors to lemos. wonder how that would sound?

more... citrusy?

/sorry, had to

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 05:40:44 PM »
I posed this question about a month ago to sonasax.  They basiclly said they weren't sure because they never heard of MBHO, and currently Schoeps was the only mic company they build the lemo sax for.

"Never heard of MBHO" I nearly fell off my chair when I read that in their reply.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »
You wouldnt really have to hack it would you?  Isnt the connector at the capsule a 3 pin lemo? So you could just make a lemo > lemo cable and be all set.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 05:52:30 AM »
You wouldnt really have to hack it would you?  Isnt the connector at the capsule a 3 pin lemo? So you could just make a lemo > lemo cable and be all set.
yeah the caps have the lemo connector, but for some reason I was thinking you needed to use the mk46 cable, but I guess any lemo > lemo cable would work.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 09:44:30 AM »
AFAIK All the electronics are in the capsule.  I had this same thought a few months ago and posted about it in the Team AKG thread, thinking I might try to borrow a lemosax. The problem was that I could not figure out the voltage specs on the capsule and didnt want to fry one of mine since they are so hard to replace.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline omni

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 03:54:21 AM »
thank you all for the quick answers!

it seams like it is not yet commonly known that the sx-m2ls can be used with any ACTIVE capsule around (that is not all capsules can have an active cable between themselves and the micbody). I don't think you can take ANY lemo-lemo cable for the job with the akg, since there seams to be quite a difference between standard audio-cables and ACTIVE cables (sorry for all the shouting).

the reason I am concerned about the mbho-lemosax combo is that the mbho require a four-pin connection, the sonosax has a 3pin in though. since i don't know anything about the wiring i wonder if somebody knows if there is a possibility to connect these.

regards

omni

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com