Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114264 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2007, 06:01:59 PM »
I think lucent material over the terminals is glue.

I'm not specialize in electrics. If it's not glue, sorry for wrong informations.

It definitely is some kind of adhesive and not solder flux to my eyes.  And while this does spread the stress over a larger than just the solder pad area of the board to give some improvement in hold power, it seems WAY TOO LITTLE a measure as most the stress is still being absorbed by the solder pad itself, and not much holding surface is being added by the surround glue around the pad.

In other words I agree with those who feel this is not a good enough fix.  Time will tell is this holds up better than Roland's 'grey flex' adhesive we've seen on other 'reworked' boards that still  lets go after short time use as I've personally had happen to one of my decks.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
I think lucent material over the terminals is glue.

I'm not specialize in electrics. If it's not glue, sorry for wrong informations.

Well even though that looks like Glue I would still use epoxy :) Better safe then to come "unglued" I always say.. :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #182 on: July 02, 2007, 04:21:10 AM »
Hey all.... I have a friend that was out of taping for quite some time.  During Vegoose last year he borrowed my R-9 for stages that I was not going to.  In the process he scratched the heck out of the body and display (but did not break the inputs :-).  I figured lesson learned be more careful loaning out gear.  Well, he decided to get back into taping and ordered a new R-9 a couple of weeks ago and gave it in trade to me for the one that he scratched up.  To put it mildly it was a very pleasant, out of the blue, surprise.

Anyway... I don't know if you can tell manufacture date from the serial but my new one is EV342xx.

I checked back in on this thread and saw all the new pictures.  I took the new unit apart.  I also have the new adhesive on the solder points.  If I look at the back of the board the holes still do not have plastic pins.  However, the one thing I noticed is that in gently wiggling the jacks it seems as if they are *alot* more secure than they should be for just the adhesive over the solder points.  I tried looking in the empty holes on the back of the board with a magnifying glass and led light and there was no noticeable glue/epoxy/etc.    However, those jacks seem pretty solid and I can't imagine it being from just the adhesive over the solder.  It's just a guess but I would say there is some kind of glue between the jacks and the board now.

I'd take pictures.... But I don't think visually I can really add anything to what has already been posted.

Stay Kind,
Dana

EDIT: As a general note... I was in Walgreen's this weekend and up with the blank cds, sd cards, etc they had a fake leather camera case for $9 that fits the R-9 perfectly.  I don't use the internal mics, but if you do the way the flap on the top closes it even leaves the top corners open for the mics.  I'm going to drill a few holes out for inputs/outputs and cut some areas of the case out with my dremil so I have access to all displays and buttons.  With a bit of elbow grease it could turn into the perfect case for the R-9.  I'm going to try to do it over the 4th.  I'll post pictures when done.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:42:50 AM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #183 on: July 03, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
Glue just over solder pads and nothing else would still allow the jack's plastic body to 'float' a bit with plug inserted, or so I'm thinking. 

If body of jack now seems 'rock solid' and not moving with plug stresses, then more likely some dabs of same clear adhesive (as seen on pads IS UNDERNEATH and holding the plastic down to the board.  As before, time will tell if anything Roland is now doing proves to solve the mechanical shortcomings of not having jacks with through-hole rivet posts.

A fully functioning (sans mics) with deck inside a protective case solution is of interest to many, so please do photos with make/model if selected case works as expected.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline cangurutopia

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2007, 09:41:30 PM »

Thank you for many valuable posts on this topic about the fixation of the jacks.

I couldn't confirm the existence of the glue between the jack and the board. I'm not sure whether there is glue underneath the plastic or not ???. Here are other photos of R-09 which I bought in Dec. 2006. Empty holes show no glue or no protorusions of the plastic(Fig. 1). There is no glue around the edge of the jack(Fig. 2).

I thougnt the jacks might have enough strength but more glue would make them firmer and more reliable. I dicided to glue the parts. I used Epoxy Elastic Adhesive.

I put the glue into the empty holes with tooth pick(Fig. 3). After that, I saw the glue at the edge of the jack(Fig. 4)  :o. The edges were clean before I put on the glue as shown in Fig 2. I think the glue came through the gap between the jacks and the board.

I put the glue around the jack(Fig. 5 & 6). I didn't put the glue over the terminals. I hope I did no harm to R-09 and this glue will add rigidness of the jacks :).

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2007, 05:31:33 AM »
Seems I just joined the club of broken MIC-IN jack  >:(!
I always used right-angle cable on mic-in and today when i tested my mics on MIC-IN and pressed REC the screen looked like this:

right channel always on FULL GAIN peaking....when LOW-CUT was set to OFF.
Switching LOW-CUT to ON => there is NO signal at all on the right-channel.
Amen...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:07:09 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2007, 05:50:51 AM »
Recently purchased new?  Or maybe manufactured over 4-6 months ago before newer transparent glued versions started arriving?

Losing left channel signal is good indication of the jack's left channel pad leaving contact with board traces as it's usually the first to go leaving the right channel operating normally, at least for awhile.  As of last posts remembered, Roland repair service seems to offer a reasonably prompt solution.

As always good practice, double check your input devices/connectors ARE WORKING OK in other inputs before settling on the R-09 needing service.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 05:53:07 AM by guysonic »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2007, 06:04:15 AM »
Recently purchased new?  Or maybe manufactured over 4-6 months ago before newer transparent glued versions started arriving?

Losing left channel signal is good indication of the jack's left channel pad leaving contact with board traces as it's usually the first to go leaving the right channel operating normally, at least for awhile.  As of last posts remembered, Roland repair service seems to offer a reasonably prompt solution.

As always good practice, double check your input devices/connectors ARE WORKING OK in other inputs before settling on the R-09 needing service.
Purchased this R09 2 month ago on June 16th 2007 in Vienna....it´s the red one as you can see.
Tested with my hlsc-1 and my dpa-4061 mics....both the same result. both mics and bbox work fine on my iHP-120/RH1 though.
Will return this unit tomorrow.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:50:00 AM by Arni99 »

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: August 25, 2007, 09:27:48 AM »
My R09 is on its way to the Edirol service center....either the problem will be fixed by Edirol or I´ll get a new one......my vendor doesn´t know what will happen but believes I´ll get a new one....

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #189 on: August 25, 2007, 02:00:22 PM »
For this very reason, I'm being extremely careful with my R-09. I love this little machine, but this type of thing worries me. :-\

Shoot, last night when I got a patch from another taper to my line in we were only getting on channel! I instantly thought of this, but I'd never even USED the line in until last night. Luckily, the problem was the jacks weren't plugged in all the way! ::) :-[
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2007, 02:05:39 PM »
For this very reason, I'm being extremely careful with my R-09. I love this little machine, but this type of thing worries me. :-\

Shoot, last night when I got a patch from another taper to my line in we were only getting on channel! I instantly thought of this, but I'd never even USED the line in until last night. Luckily, the problem was the jacks weren't plugged in all the way! ::) :-[
i always handled my r09 like my balls  ;D, it just happens....no chance....always used a right angle plug.....

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #191 on: August 28, 2007, 08:50:34 AM »

i always handled my r09 like my balls  ;D, it just happens....no chance....always used a right angle plug.....

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline dorigatti

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #192 on: August 29, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »
What's your experience with the MM HLSC-1? Can you get them here in Europe?

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #193 on: August 29, 2007, 01:31:26 PM »
What's your experience with the MM HLSC-1? Can you get them here in Europe?
no, you need to order them from microphonemadness.com ...ordered several items from mm...always great service ;).
I like them, others don´t or like at853s more or church cardioids.
It´s just a matter of personal taste.
try them all as i did and decide when testing is over ;).

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2007, 08:13:02 PM »
well, I made it:  a year with a straight cable. And, just this weekend, built a right angle input cable.

:clapping: I'm have about 1 year and a month use into my R-09 with a right angle plug.

*knocks on wood*
we are the people the rescuers will never find

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com