Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 114557 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2008, 12:15:49 AM »
Usually it's the left channel that lets go first.  Make sure it's NOT your input gear that's to blame for the right channel problems.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline dreams

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #241 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:46 AM »
i've tried with two different batteryboxes and two different mics, all the same problem with the mic-input...
line-in works fine and internal mics are also fine, that should eliminate my mics and/or batt.boxes as the problem...
SP-CMC-4U --> SP-SPSB-11 --> R-09
or SP-CMC-22 --> SP-SPSB-8 --> R-09

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #242 on: February 26, 2008, 08:13:11 AM »
fwiw folks, i've got some very small low profile plastic right angle stereo 3.5mm plugs.  they provide strain relief ...much more so than any of my neutrik / switchcraft ends.

they are inexpensive, so the cables will be cheap to construct / sell.
ping me if anyone would like to try one.

Offline dlantelme

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2008, 08:22:33 PM »
sent my out of warranty R09 back a few days ago with one channel out. I'm interested in discovering whether they fix it for free (if not, my credit card extends the warranty to 2 years, so if I get my paperwork in order...) or disqualify me for opening it up and laying small electrical tape on the record LEDs before they released firmware to solve that problem. I'll let you know.

CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2008, 11:18:30 PM »
<delete>
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 11:25:14 PM by rhinowing »
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #245 on: July 15, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
so um, why didn't you open this back up and remove that piece of tape before sending it in ??
(coming from someone with same piece of tape over said led, but has't had to get my r-09 repaired yet)

or disqualify me for opening it up and laying small electrical tape on the record LEDs before they released firmware to solve that problem.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2008, 11:22:11 AM »
or disqualify me for opening it up and laying small electrical tape on the record LEDs before they released firmware to solve that problem.

I have never understood why the record LED is seen as something so problematic that it requires opening the unit up.  As previously mentioned, I have always used a 1" square piece of permacel gaffer tape over the cluster of buttons.  It covers the LED and I can easily operate the buttons.  I have used the same piece of tape for over a year.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:34 AM »

I have never understood why the record LED is seen as something so problematic that it requires opening the unit up.  As previously mentioned, I have always used a 1" square piece of permacel gaffer tape over the cluster of buttons.  It covers the LED and I can easily operate the buttons.  I have used the same piece of tape for over a year.

Same.  Except my 1" square of permacel is on the clear plastic cover of the bodyglove case instead of the switch itself.  A second square of tape keeps the buttons on the back from being moved.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2011, 02:10:09 AM »
Just bumping this old chestnut, as my R09 now has the dreaded input jack issue. Got back last night from the Earth / Sabbath Assembly gig to find much trouble in the LH channel. I guess I felt it was always going to happen, but you hope it never will. Wonder if it's worth repairing it.

Now that much time has passed, has anyone recently been successful in getting their R09 repaired free (or low cost) by the manufacturer - despite being well outside the warranty period? It's not as if they can say that they are not aware of this problem. I have read lots of $150-200 repair stories on here and I won't bother if that's the case.

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
After finding out if Edirol will repair de R-09 fo a reasonable fee, what are you planning to do?

Why don't you try repairing it yourself?

I do not own an Edirol, just a Tascam, but it's not too difficult to solve the problem. The problem is to find the right part and/or a better one, preferably a 1/8" screw-type socket. But I don't know if it will fit. 

Another option, which are tougher, more durable and more reliable connectors are 1/4" jacks and mini-XLRs, but they would require some external adaptors, cabled or fixed externally to the Edirol.

Just some thoughts.

Carlos

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2011, 10:49:04 AM »
as far as who can fix this outside of Edirol, sure there are DIY'ers out here, but wanted to also mention that both Chris Church and Sound Professionals (another Chris) have mentioned they can do this work, for cheap that is (less than $50). No offense to Mr Church, but you may get a better turnaround time with the SP folks

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »
It's a difficult repair.  The damage tears/lifts tiny traces on the printed circuit board.  Edirol simply replaces the entire board.  Open it up and take a look, maybe you will get lucky and the damage is not bad and you have excellent microscopic SMD soldering skills.   If not then just epoxy reinforce the remaining good input jack to the board and switch to using that one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jamroom

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the keyhole surgery soldering. I had read that once it starts lifting, you are probably stuffed. I am buying a new recorder anyway, but was kind of hoping Edirol might have seen the error of their ways and would repair it for free / cheap. Being in the UK precludes some of the other suggestions. Been to busy at work to even think straight today, so will contact them when I have time.

Offline whiskybob

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #253 on: April 12, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
Hahaha....we bump into each other again Jamroom!!!

Just had a major fall out with Roland.....

Bought R-09hr two years ago
A year ago it was returned because of a connection issue with line in
It was returned with a note saying "No fault found but have re soldered line in/mic in and headphone socket as precaution"
Now a year on from being "repaired" it has started again, it had shown one or two signs over the past year of not being right.

Contacted Roland who now have no interest in helping me other than to suggest a freelance engineer....Like I was going to send it back to the guy
that couldn't find the fault in the first place!!!

Apart from the screws on the side of the unit do I need to unscrew any others to open her up?

Thanks
David.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:52:52 AM by whiskybob »
Edirol R09HR   Sony M10 
CA14 Omni's  CA14 Cards  
CA11 Omni's CA 1's  CS Binaurials
CA9100 Pre-amp CA Batt Box

Cambridge Audio Azur640Amp  Cambridge Audio Azur 640 Cd Player
Cambridge Audio 640Pre amp  Marantz Turntable TT-44  Denon t1800 Tuner
Aiwa AD-S950 tape deck  Yamaha K-939 Tape Deck

Severely outdated trade list
http://db.etree.org/oddball

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #254 on: April 12, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Bought R-09hr two years ago
A year ago it was returned because of a connection issue with line in
It was returned with a note saying "No fault found but have re soldered line in/mic in and headphone socket as precaution"
Now a year on from being "repaired" it has started again, it had shown one or two signs over the past year of not being right.

The R-09 (and a certain production batch mostly) is the one known to have input jack issues because the jack is soldered onto the board, whereas in the R-09HR it is mechanically mounted to the board.  I can't recall hearing about anyone having input jack issues with the R-09HR, although certainly any jack in any device could develop problems with time and use.  in any case, the warranty for the R-09/R-09HR is a year, so the fact that they fixed it the first time without being covered by warranty (unless you got it in right before it ended) is good service from Roland.  Returning it again, two years after purchasing it, they really don't need to do anything.  You could ask Chris Church or Sound Pro to try re-soldering it on, if that is indeed the issue with it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:37:59 AM by su6oxone »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.144 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com