Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PC Playback system  (Read 4917 times)

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
PC Playback system
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
I am looking to buy a decent pair of desktop computer speakers. I have all of my music on the PC, most of it in FLAC format.

After reading around I am seeing a couple of good options which get solid reviews:
M Audio AV 40 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/797785-REG/M_Audio_9900_65139_00_AV_40_Active_2_Way.html)

And AudioEngine A2 (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A2)
I am leaning toward these AudioEngine’s due to the review on the web and. Amazon for example (http://www.amazon.com/Audioengine-Premium-Powered-Desktop-Speakers/dp/B000VKEFN2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top).

Also, do you think I would need a DAC? This little number (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-D1) looks like it would provide better conversion than a regular computer soundcard, and would also be a headphone amplifier. This would bypass the shitty onboard sound now, and be a good portable system as well (just pick up the speakers and DAC/amplifier, grab an ipod and you’re set).

For headphone listening I assume I would plug into the DAC/headphone amp and not the headphone jack of the speakers?

Am I missing anything that I would need to get a reasonably low cost listening experience from the PC? The setup listed is about $400 which is reasonable for the quality of what everyone is saying about it.

Any other options for speakers of this size/price point? Also, what about other options for DACs? I see a bunch online cheaper than the Audioengine D1 above, but not sure if they are better/worse.

Thanks for any help

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
Re: PC Playback system
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:57:20 PM »
I can't comment on the A2s, but I love my A5+s! I also have the D1 DAC/headphone amp. Highly recommend Audioengine products!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline jbou

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:10:26 PM »
I recently got some KRK Rokit 5s for my desktop setup and run them with a FiiO E10 DAC. I have really enjoyed KRK monitors so far. I havn't done any extreme critical listening, but they sure beat what I was using before.

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
skip the maudio av40s...i bought a pair refurbished and they quit on me within a year...sound quality was pretty crap too.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:40:46 AM »
Another happy KRK Rokit 5 G2 user here.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
I have the A2's. They are pretty good.

I'd go with the A5's if that will be your only playback system. I have a nicer regular stereo so I just use the A2's when I'm surfing the interwebs.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
skip the maudio av40s...i bought a pair refurbished and they quit on me within a year...sound quality was pretty crap too.

Agreed.  I have an old pair of the discontinued DX4's that are great so I suggested the AV40's to a friend of mine who was putting together a PC system.  Pretty disappointing sound compared to the DX4's and he was having issues with one of them in about 6 months.  M-Audio still makes some decent monitors but you have to go up to at least the BX series and at that point there are other contenders to consider.

As far as an outboard DAC, I think that's a very good idea as most of the ones built into soundcards aren't very good.  In addition to the Audioengine D1, I'd take a hard look at the FiiO E17.  I got one a few months ago to replace a NuForce uDAC-2 (ugh, what a piece of crap) I was using with my laptop and found it to be a great DAC/headphone amp.  Doesn't have the RCA output like the D1 but it does accept a S/PDIF input in addition to USB and LINE.  It can also be used as a portable headphone amp with its built-in battery.

colinw

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 09:30:19 AM »

Agreed.  I have an old pair of the discontinued DX4's that are great so I suggested the AV40's to a friend of mine who was putting together a PC system.  Pretty disappointing sound compared to the DX4's and he was having issues with one of them in about 6 months.  M-Audio still makes some decent monitors but you have to go up to at least the BX series and at that point there are other contenders to consider.

As far as an outboard DAC, I think that's a very good idea as most of the ones built into soundcards aren't very good.  In addition to the Audioengine D1, I'd take a hard look at the FiiO E17.  I got one a few months ago to replace a NuForce uDAC-2 (ugh, what a piece of crap) I was using with my laptop and found it to be a great DAC/headphone amp.  Doesn't have the RCA output like the D1 but it does accept a S/PDIF input in addition to USB and LINE.  It can also be used as a portable headphone amp with its built-in battery.

I was looking at the Fiio e17, but the lack of RCA outs bothered me. How would I drive the  AudioEngine A2s from the DAC/headphone amp - with a miniplug? Is the quality worse or better than using RCAs? The big plus for that machine seems that I could use it portably as you mentioned while I can't really do that with the Audioengine DAC> For the Fiios I wonder if you can use it while it is charging, or if you only run it off the battery. I was settled on Auioengine D1 and A2s, but am open to ther suggestions. Anyone else??

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:41:21 AM »

I was looking at the Fiio e17, but the lack of RCA outs bothered me. How would I drive the  AudioEngine A2s from the DAC/headphone amp - with a miniplug? Is the quality worse or better than using RCAs? The big plus for that machine seems that I could use it portably as you mentioned while I can't really do that with the Audioengine DAC> For the Fiios I wonder if you can use it while it is charging, or if you only run it off the battery. I was settled on Auioengine D1 and A2s, but am open to ther suggestions. Anyone else??

Funny you mention all of this; I just received a pair of the Audioengine 2 speakers yesterday.  They sound really nice!  Much, much better than I expected.

If you want to run a D/A into them, there are both miniplug and RCA inputs to the speakers.  I would run source > D2 > RCA inputs to the 2 speakers.

I have a Pure i-20 iPod dock (which has an internal A/D - not a good one, however), so I'm planning on running the Audioengine 2 speakers with two inputs: using the RCA inputs for the Pure and using the miniplug input for my computer.  While the RCA may theoretically have a better sound quality than the miniplug, there is a good chance that you would not really notice the difference when using the Audioengine 2 speakers.  They are good speakers, but probably not THAT good to pick up differences in input type.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

As long as you're using quality plugs and cable, a 3.5mm miniplug will give you the same s.q. as RCAs.  As far as using the E17 while charging, the answer is yes.  I regularly use it as a DAC plugged into my laptop via USB and charge it at the same time.

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »

Reveal 501As get my vote
Don't forget to consider room treatments.
Curtains, wall hung rugs and blankets, and sonic traps can bring out the best in a speaker
I have a Hawaiian quilt over a foamboard covered with eggcrates.  It took the "ringing" out of the wallboard.
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com