Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small Speaker Recs  (Read 3339 times)

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Small Speaker Recs
« on: May 10, 2005, 03:58:32 PM »
So, I finally pulled the trigger and made the jump across the river to Manhattan, which means smaller apartment.  My living room is about 9x15 or so, and my listening position will have to be on the narrow side of the room (ie less than 9' away from the speakers).   As much as I dig my Large Advents (they're classics) to go along with my vintage motif (running modified Eico HF-85 (1.5 12AX7s per channel) pre into a modified Dynaco Stereo 70 amp (EL34 based)), they are quite 'large' and I need something with a smaller footprint.  I'm looking probably around $500 used, mostly because my apt is less than ideal for listening and I realize these are a stopgap until I actually have a house (several years off).

Any ideas, I saw the M22's mentioned in a previous post, any ideas how these match up with an all tube system?  Anyone have anything that pairs up particularly nicely with an EL34 based amp?  I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks all.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
Re: Small Speaker Recs
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 04:07:15 PM »
Just missed a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1s on agon for $475.
deal of the century.

those would be my pic.
others to consider, or read up on (as I hear nothing but great things)
Epos M5...a pair on agon now for under $500.
NHT (not sure of the bookshelf model)
Soliloquy 5.0 (lots of raves here and elsewhere)
Green Mountain Europas get a lot of fluffing.

You'd have to look into the specs though.  I think some of these might prefer SS power (I have heard as much about the Epos line of monitors).

« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 04:09:42 PM by Nick's Picks »

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 05:14:26 PM »
Some small speakers that were well received in Stereophile in the recent past were

Klipsch (RB1?) little 2 way speakers, few hundred $$ price range.

Polk audio (unsure of model #).

might be able to find old reviews at www.stereophile.com

Happy shopping!
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 05:15:40 PM »
paradigm line comes to mind too, atoms are very small, ~2 bills I believe. Some bigger models in their line too, should be a decent selection at the sub $500 range.

www.paradigm.ca I believe.
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 05:47:51 PM »
deal of the century.

Damn, now I feel like I got ripped off! I wonder why the resale is so low? I bought mine used as well, but for about $300 more!

I could never find anywhere to demo them and they're freaking HEAVY. Knowing that I'd be moving at least 3 more times in the next few years, I decided to take the lighter VR-1s. Without even hearing the Europas, I have no regrets.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »
deal of the century.

there's another pair for 515 obo on there now
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 07:54:25 AM »
I'd never pay more than $600 for a used pair of VR1s.  $500 is nice , but they are not common..until this week.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:25:37 AM »
deal of the century.

Damn, now I feel like I got ripped off! I wonder why the resale is so low? I bought mine used as well, but for about $300 more!

I could never find anywhere to demo them and they're freaking HEAVY. Knowing that I'd be moving at least 3 more times in the next few years, I decided to take the lighter VR-1s. Without even hearing the Europas, I have no regrets.

indeed, the europas are heavy and very fragile, find out the hard way shipping a pair to someone on this board and they broke into pieces
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Thom Joad

• Taperssection Member
  • Team TNT!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 10:35:53 AM »
indeed, the europas are heavy and very fragile, find out the hard way shipping a pair to someone on this board and they broke into pieces

That would be me!  +T to Trey for handling that situation very smoothly.  It actually worked out for the better, since not one week after that debacle was over, I found another pair of Europa's that were newer, cheaper, and within driving distance to me.  Funny how things work out sometimes.

I sold my M22's (to someone on this board) to get the Europa's.  I really liked both speakers a lot.  The M22's are very transparent and throw a great soundstage.  Although I never had them hooked up to tubes when I had them, I think it would be a great match.  I ran my with an Audio Refinement Complete (on the warmer side of SS) and it sounded really nice.

The Europas are time-aligned and have a great tone to them.  They image like crazy, even in my small listening room (11 x 18).  I haven't hooked them up to tubes, but the guy I bought them from had them being fed by a tube amp. which I think he called the "six pack"  If I remember correctly they looked a bit like EL34's.  When I went to pick them up, he played a few things through them to allow me to listen to them and get his last listen before I took them home.  I remember a Bill Frisell track in particular as sounding like the perfect mixture between SS and tube sounds.

I haven't heard any of the VR series, but they do recieve a huge amount of praise from everywhere.

I'd also look into the Triangle Titus line.  I did have a chance to hear these through a DIY EL34 based integrated, and they matched up really, really well.  The Titus's were on the S'Phile recommened component's A list a couple of years ago, and go for cheap on the used market.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 11:01:26 AM »
I'd never pay more than $600 for a used pair of VR1s. $500 is nice , but they are not common..until this week.

Well, to be fair, I did get mine 2 years ago, when they were first released. The seller decided his room needed the VR-2s so I bought them as "like new, but broken in." I'll use them as surrounds whenever I get a house and can get 2s or 4jrs up front.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 11:16:28 AM »
Onox Ref 1's if you can stick in another hundred or get someone to split the deal going on right now.  Honestly, you won't find anything better in this price range.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline cheshirecat

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll have plenty of reading to do...

+Ts all around

Onox Ref 1's if you can stick in another hundred or get someone to split the deal going on right now.  Honestly, you won't find anything better in this price range.
Whats so good about them, likes, dislikes?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 04:15:18 PM by cheshirecat »
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 04:21:49 PM »
since I haven't listened to them yet, you can take this for what it's worth, but I've been doing a lot of reading all over the net, and these are the three I've narrowed it down to (for now! :) ) in the "Bang for your Buck" category

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170
Axiom M22ti
Epos ES12
SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 09:48:50 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys, i'll have plenty of reading to do...

+Ts all around

Whats so good about them, likes, dislikes?

For the money, they cannot be beat.  The sound is extremely detailed, the top end crystal clear and well defined, and the midrange is round and warm.  What more could a person want from a bookshelf speaker.  Match them with a onix sub and tube amp and it is probably the best sounding, "budget" rig I have heard.  People compare them to vmps 626r's, do a search for them!
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com