Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SLIM DEVICES Squeeze box  (Read 18542 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: SLIM DEVICES Squeeze box
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2006, 04:22:53 PM »
i'm just trying to figure out what possibly could be affected by improving the power supply if there is no analog stage?

it smooths out the wireless signal :P

Offline L Ron Hoover

• Trade Count: (0)
  • "I figure the odds be 50/50"
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2006, 07:20:15 PM »
I just don't understand why a power supply would have an effect on zeros and ones. ???  Then again, I haven't heard, so what do I know?

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2006, 11:05:08 AM »
aside from the power supply "issues" with the squeezebox...it sounds like a nifty solution for sure and i may look into getting one once i upgrade the rest of my playback and build a new PC with more storage capacity.

I'm having trouble taking this company seriously though, based on their discussion of their high-end device, the Transporter.  Aside from the preposterous name, it is basically a squeezebox with a good DAC right?  and it costs $2K?  wouldn't someone looking at something like this go with a squeezebox and a high-end dedicated DAC?  I mean if you've got 2k to throw around on a DAC, you are not looking at this thing right?  you want the DAC's off the power circuitry that is powering the wireless receiver and the flac/mp3/other format decoder, i would think.  and then they say stuff like:

Accurate Digital—Transporter's digital path is not only "bit perfect", but also extremely accurate in timing precision. Clock signals in Transporter are handled not as ones and zeroes, but as precision analog signals. Specialized crystal oscillators, careful clock management, and linear-regulated logic supplies ensure the lowest possible jitter throughout the system.

what does it mean to handle clock signals as precision analog signals?

Transporter's sound quality surpasses even the most exotic compact disc players.

this is its list of features:

AKM's professional-grade DAC
Fully balanced analog stage
Super-regulated linear supplies
Dual display
A clever knob!

I don't know why, but this device bugs me...and it's making me feel like no matter what i buy from this company, i'm going to be ripped off.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2006, 11:08:35 AM »
Oh man.... Logitech just bought Slim Devices! :(

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2006, 11:10:48 AM »
Oh man.... Logitech just bought Slim Devices! :(

yeah, noticed that too.  ugh.

also, aren't all internet radio streams compressed anyways? 

who would buy the transporter?  what is their market?  i mean, who other than us, has large volumes of high-res audio stored on PCs?  anyone else who cares about high-end audio is not buyng the transporter. 

anyone know why i care about this so much today?? :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »

its your way of dealing with nervous energy before first pitch tonight

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2006, 11:13:08 AM »

nail
head

i'm kinda freaking out, can't get any work done and i put too much sugar in my last cup of coffee.

so is there a $2k power supply mod for the transporter?

;D

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2006, 11:15:12 AM »

nail
head

i'm kinda freaking out, can't get any work done and i put too much sugar in my last cup of coffee.

so is there a $2k power supply mod for the transporter?

;D

I understand...before game 7 of the finals last year with the Canes, I was useless at work..hell, I was useless for that 2 month playoff run :P

as for a $2K power supply, it would probably suck...remember it has to be a multiple of 3 times to be worthwhile...if it holds to the squeezebox 3 precedent :P

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »
you're right.  it probably needs its own 20 amp dedicated circuit to really see it's true potential.  actually, a direct connection to the feed off the city grid will be necessary.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2006, 11:38:19 AM »
It remains to be heard how the Transporter will sound... I would have preferred to spend $1K on an improved squeezebox that does 24/96 and another $1K on a good (separate!) DAC. I just don't like having them combined..

But make no mistake, the squeezebox is a bad ass piece of gear!  I'd never give it up.  I bought their original slimp3 back when they first came out, around 2000.

i agree, the transporter seems like a ridiculous piece of gear to me.  i understand there can be some jitter in this process and that extra money could be useful in developing a box, but this just seems stupid to me.  a squeezebox and a 2k DAC seems like a much better investment to me.  unless...

it still doesn't output 24/96??

Ah.. Thanks.. I was looking at the new beta and it is still behind the nightly..

I wonder how they are doing the resample?  The bug filing implied the fix was done in the firmware.

Bitrate: 4608kbps CBR

Sample Rate: 96.0 kHz

Sample Size: 24 Bits

Good question - above is what slimserver reports w/ 24/96 files.

i guess the processing chips in the squeezebox are not powerful enough to do 24/96 flac to LPCM conversion on the fly??

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2006, 12:07:51 PM »
The sb firmware was recently enhanced to support 24/96.... by dropping every other sample to get 48khz.  They've said the hardware can't do 24/96.  It would be interesting to know where the limitation is.. If it is the D/A or if maybe the spdif output could do 24/96.  Getting the 24/96 to the sb is not an issue.

I'm sure the transporter is using much higher quality clocks and there is minimal jitter.  That's an advantage with this architecture.. the pcm comes into a buffer and is clocked out very accurately.

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2006, 03:55:43 PM »
A clever knob!

I don't know why, but this device bugs me...and it's making me feel like no matter what i buy from this company, i'm going to be ripped off.

I've been thinking it would be really to have a knob hooked to the squeezebox. Crank it like a tuner, but instead of changing stations it moves you forward or back in the playlist....

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2006, 04:01:14 PM »

who would buy the transporter?  what is their market?  i mean, who other than us, has large volumes of high-res audio stored on PCs?  anyone else who cares about high-end audio is not buyng the transporter. 

Companies that handle Investor Relations.  Venture Capital firms, publicly traded companies for board meetings, investor meeting and the like.  We have a venture capital firm as a client and they are very adamant on using the "very best" and the transporter for better or worse fills that niche.

I do have to say that I am continually shocked that the Squeezebox has not become totally mainstream by now.   

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2006, 04:07:08 PM »
I do have to say that I am continually shocked that the Squeezebox has not become totally mainstream by now.  

Agreed. It changed the way I listen to music at home.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2006, 04:07:13 PM »

Companies that handle Investor Relations.  Venture Capital firms, publicly traded companies for board meetings, investor meeting and the like.  We have a venture capital firm as a client and they are very adamant on using the "very best" and the transporter for better or worse fills that niche.

really?  what use does a corporate board have for a flac player?

why?  can't you still get that Airtunes gizmo?  anyone other than us geeks who is looking to get their music from pc to stereo is likely using Itunes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com