Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new HD tv advice?  (Read 10180 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
new HD tv advice?
« on: December 15, 2005, 09:37:19 AM »
family member has asked me to help shop for an HD tv (probably panel).  I know very little.  I searched the forum and the info seems a bit dated (assuming there's been some advancements or new products since the spring), so I was wondering if any of you HT guys could give me some advice on something around $2500.  Thanks!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: new HD tv advice?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:39:45 AM »
Sony KDF-E55A20 Rear-Projection LCD

Although not a "flat panel", excellent bang-for-the-buck.

Offline pjdavep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 11:19:37 AM »

The Vizio 50" plasma from Costco.  It's $2499.00 and Costco has a fantastic return policy.  Get their executive membership and you get 2% (or maybe it was 1%) cash back at the end of the year.

http://www.vinc.com/site/index.html

I am very, very happy with mine and HD/DVDs look great.  It's been running fine since the beginning of August.

Initial models had some issues with fan noise, but Vizio did on-site repairs to fix that.  Newer production models do not have the fan noise issue.  There is a huge thread on avsforum.com, but probably more than you'd ever want to look at :)  PM me if you have additional questions.

Later,
  pjdavep
Recording: DPA 4061s > DPA MMA-6000 > R-09

Playback office: Denon 2200 > Grace 901 > Sennheiser 650's (all Cardas cabling)
            home: Onkyo SP-800 > Denon 887 > Odyssey HT-3 SE > Von Schweikert VR-2  (Kimber Select IC's and Bifocal XL spkr cables)

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »
It is going to depend on the size they are looking for which also depends on how far from the set they are sitting.  For tube tv's Sony's are great, for all else they aren't very good. 
Plasma= Pioneer & Panasonic
DLP= Samsung & Mitsubishi
LCD= Sharp & Panasonic
Hitachi also makes a decent set, but blacks are always w/ green tint.

There are others and Costco does have a great return policy they don't like to advertise.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 11:46:21 AM »
I have a sony widescreen tube and outside of it being heavier than shit, I love it

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 12:49:55 PM »
I have a Sony KDE 650? i think is the model? anyway. I love it. the Pannies have/had probs with the lamps blowing out, which is what steered me clear of them (family member has one and has replaced 2 lamps in 10months.).

Didn't care for Samsung DLP nor sharp LCD..

6months w/o single issue - great quality (HDTV f'n rox!!!) Sony = A OK in my book.

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 01:09:10 PM »
funny you should ask.  i'm in the market too as the finished basement is almost done and i've narrowed my choices down to these two sets.  the Sony gets nice reviews but the only feedback i can find about the Hitachi is on the Circuit City site and avsforum.com since it was only recently released.  saw both in CC yesterday and had my heart set on the Sony 50" but the salesman showed me the Hitachi for kicks and it looked really sharp.  now i can't decide  :P

Sony 50" KDF-E50A10  http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=129634&c=1 ($2249.00)
Hitachi 50" 50VF820  http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=131140&c=1 ($2049.00 on sale 'til Saturday i was told)

good luck.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 01:56:06 PM »
STAY AWAY FROM SONY PROJECTION SETS!!! 

Mitsubishi and Pioneer Elite are/were the best "rear" projection sets (CRT). 

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 02:00:09 PM »
STAY AWAY FROM SONY PROJECTION SETS!!! 
Mitsubishi and Pioneer Elite are/were the best "rear" projection sets (CRT). 

i was hoping you'd weigh in scervin, i recall your other posts and you seem to have a lot of knowledge on hi-def tv's, this is what i need right now. 

what do you know is bad about the Sony projections?  this is the first i've heard this.  and how do you feel about the Hitachi set i listed?  the only negative i've heard in the limited info i've gathered is they are subject to "blotching" and possible "green spots".

thanks for the insight! +
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 02:04:35 PM by kgreener »

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 02:04:57 PM »
Sold tv's during the winter months at CC while in school.  Son'ys always came back!  Everyone loved them because of the name.  The guns suck in them!  The green blacks were not my favorite either and they don't allow for easy calibration.  The auto convergence feature is bad as well and it used to be a feature only Sony had.  Now they all do.  If I were to pick a set it would be a Mits (owned one in the past) or Hitachi for rear projection CRT.  See the above if looking into other technologies (DLP, etc).

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 02:17:20 PM »
I just noticed those were both LCD projection.  I would really look into DLP rear projection (Mits, Samsung).  Better blacks, greater contrast ratio and no motion blur.

Offline kgreener

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 02:36:50 PM »
well, i'm confused now (not hard to do  :P).  i thought the two sets i've been looking at are rear-projection?  or are you just referring to the DLP technology that i should be checking out? 

btw, here are the only three DLP's at CC (all Samsung) in the 50-60" range (the new cabinet my carpenter just built is 57" across): 

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/Ntt/dlp/Ntk/All/catOid/-12867/N/0+21012867+528/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

is this what i should be looking for?  Also, where do you suggest i look (online or off) for the Mits or Pioneer Elite models?

let me know if we should take this off-line.  i really do appreciate the help.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 02:41:07 PM »
no, don't take it offline.  this is all very helpful!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 02:43:19 PM »
Which ever set you decide on make sure you Google for the Service Codes for the tv.  There are a whole shit-ton of options as far as tuning is concerned on most televisions.  Usually the service code is some key pattern on the remote that gets you to the service menus.

If you are looking for a great deal on plasma's I have heard nothing but fantastic reviews (first-hand and internet reviews) on the new Dell's.  Their 50" can be had for $3000 and is expected to drop in the next 2 months.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 02:44:19 PM »
no, don't take it offline.  this is all very helpful!

concur

Scott is a treasure trove of knowledge on this stuff, and this is a market that a lot of people are going to be entering very soon.

+T around
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.135 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com