Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Finest Conventional (read: portable, DC-powered) Pre | A/D  (Read 3629 times)

Offline chris_jones

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Finest Conventional (read: portable, DC-powered) Pre | A/D
« on: July 09, 2005, 03:18:31 PM »
Greetings, all:

It's rare that I've dabbled in things conventional in the context of audience taping, but I'm seeking an uncompromising secondary rig that is portable by traditional means and transportable on aircraft.

Has anyone done a meaningful 2402-96 (AD2K+) + Mytek comparison tape?  I live and work in the vicinity of Mytek's HQ and plan to audition some boxes by said manufacturer soon, but want some opinions of you folks.  The 192 kHz option on the Mytek is attractive (can the box support simultaneous out via AES and S/PDIF?), but how does the sound of the two boxes compare?  I haven't been on top of the research game lately, so if there are more desirable boutique boxes available, I'd be open to suggestion.  Same goes for pres.  I'm attracted to the Mini-MP, greatly disliked the V3, but am unsure what else is out there.

I'll be running 4011's, 4015's, and 4022's exclusively to varying degrees with this to-be-decided combination, and I love ultra-tight, fast attack low-end punch and highs that stay intact and aren't butchered by stuff that doesn't perform.

No budget.  Kindly open to suggestions.  Thanks.

Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 03:50:28 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline chris_jones

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Finest Conventional (read: portable, DC-powered) Pre | A/D
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 03:58:38 PM »
This Neve piece looks fantastic.  Had no idea it existed.  Thanks much.
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2005, 04:07:47 PM »
Sure thing - it got a lot of buzz when it came out, but AFAIK nobody has run it yet. So if you go with it, a full review is expected here  ;)

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the V3? And +T to get you going again.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 04:22:03 PM by johnw »
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline chris_jones

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 07:29:19 PM »
I never liked the way the V3 reproduced mids and lows with the DPA's; unsure whether the pre or a/d was to blame.  And it's not that I need to get going again per se, as I've been taping sporadically with the tried-and-true Trak2 when I can fit it into my work schedule (likely selling that soon in favor of a Daniel Weiss unit), but I've come to appreciate the fact that portability would likely make it easier to catch gigs more frequently, particularly when traveling as I often do now.

This Neve piece just skyrocketed to the top of my list of pres.  Now the A/D is another question altogether...

Thanks again so much for the help.

Chris
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2005, 07:53:26 PM »
I never liked the way the V3 reproduced mids and lows with the DPA's; unsure whether the pre or a/d was to blame.  And it's not that I need to get going again per se, as I've been taping sporadically with the tried-and-true Trak2 when I can fit it into my work schedule (likely selling that soon in favor of a Daniel Weiss unit), but I've come to appreciate the fact that portability would likely make it easier to catch gigs more frequently, particularly when traveling as I often do now.

This Neve piece just skyrocketed to the top of my list of pres.  Now the A/D is another question altogether...

Thanks again so much for the help.

Chris

the daniel weiss units does have a mic pre option,you might also look into lavry blue series with mic pre option as well.
as far as v3 vs mytek thing goes..the v3 is more colored while the mytek( adc96) was more transparent and detailed,on one occasion running the v3 as ad and mytek with sbd feed,the mytek sounded more dense and flat,nice stuff.

i am planning on getting the ua 2192 converter mainly for tracking ,clocking  and feeding our monitors with the d/a.
cranesong hedd192 was up at gearslutz the other day for 2K,it has tape emulation knob, 2 other color knobs( pentode,and triode?)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »
a neve portable unit?  damn i want to hear what that's like

and i would take the mytek over any portable a/d i've heard so far

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2005, 08:00:01 PM »
Main Power Required:  (From External Power Unit)   Voltage Range,      9 to 18 Volts DC.

Current consumption:     @ 9VDC = 1.3 A typical   
    @12VDC = 1A typical   
    @15VDC= 800 mA typical   
    @18VDC= 650 mA typical

Offline chris_jones

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 08:10:16 PM »
I've heard the HEDD; nice piece, but I spoke with Daniel awhile back and probably will give his Gambit unit a go toward the fall.  Firewire option forthcoming on that.

I'll likely order this Neve unit Monday.  Precisely what I'm looking for.  Can't believe this went largely unnoticed!

I'm intimately familiar with Scott's love of the Mytek, and given our similar taste in gear (and music!), I'm leaning that way.  Just want someone to argue the "best in class" vote if there's something preferred.
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

Offline muj

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 08:17:16 PM »

I'll likely order this Neve unit Monday.  Precisely what I'm looking for.  Can't believe this went largely unnoticed!

u sure you don't want the Gordon audio pre's?

::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline chris_jones

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 08:25:06 PM »
I need DC power this time :)
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

Offline scb

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 10:46:46 AM »
I'm intimately familiar with Scott's love of the Mytek, and given our similar taste in gear (and music!), I'm leaning that way.

i just want to say that i do NOT share chris's love for bubble gum pop and country music! :)

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 06:16:23 PM »
I need DC power this time :)

I was going to get the Neve, but just went the AC route, with a Haptone tube preamp, DV-RA1000 DSD recorder, exeltech inverter and 55Ah SLA mounted in a rolling rack case. Not exactly the lightest rig I've run.  Chris, did you ever have any venues give you shit when you came in with the rack equipment?
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline chris_jones

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 06:15:52 PM »
Best wishes hauling a 55 aH SLA around.  I have what I think is permanent back damage from a 33aH.  We're talking heft, my friend.  What's the time constraint of media for the DSD recorder?  I had considered trying one of those out.

Neve should be here in a few days.  No idea when I'll have the time to run the thing, though.  Probably DMB July EOM.  Will report when I play with it.

Can wait to get that 'Neve sound' on some MTV and CMT-types.  Yee-haw!

Chris
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

Offline chris_jones

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 07:59:10 PM »
that doesn't work for me.
Christopher Jones
jones.chris@gmail.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com