Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony M10 Plug-in voltage  (Read 5563 times)

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony M10 Plug-in voltage
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

Does anyone know what voltage is supplied to bias the mics when plug-in power is applied?

I haven't stealth recorded any shows in at least 5 years and I'm trying to get back up to speed using this new recorder. I'm using DPA 4060 or 4061 mics (don't recall which sensitivity). The data sheet says they need 5V minimum. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I recall that Sony plug-in power is 3V. These mics are hardwired to a 3.5mm stereo plug and I'm trying to decide if I should use a small preamp or not. I can't hear any diff between the line in with the preamp or the mic in with plug in power. There will not be loud levels at this show.

I should add that I've become quite spoiled with the PCM-D1, and have been using it exclusively because it's so simple to take just one thing, but it isn't quite stealth-able for me.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony M10 Plug-in voltage
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »
Sony PCM-M10 3.0v 1.3v
and the sensitivity: Close to -32 dB, or 25mV/PA

this information comes from Gene Dorcas at the Nature Recordists yahoo group.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 03:57:17 PM »
The DPA 4060 series is not supposed to work with less than 4.5 volts. I did make a test recording with DPA 4060 > M10 PIP with my home stereo as the source and I was shocked to hear that it sounded fine. A rock concert would be much louder, so I would not record anything loud that is important to you without either a battery box or preamp. Of course you could take it to to a bar and try it on a loud cover band and see if it works on PIP. It definitely is not supposed to though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:47:13 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 06:07:50 PM »

Thanks guys. I just put a meter on it and it's 3.01 VDC.

I'll double check it for quality with a high SPL source, although I won't be using it for more than the singer/songwriter type of show. I haven't been able to attend a loud show since I gave up mixing FOH in the 70's. Yeah, I'm an old guy.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 09:56:05 AM »

I should add that I've become quite spoiled with the PCM-D1, and have been using it exclusively because it's so simple to take just one thing, but it isn't quite stealth-able for me.

What do you think of the mics on the PCM-D1?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »

The PCM-D1 is the only piece of gear I've ever owned that makes a recording that sounds the same as what I hear with my ears. For that reason, I haven't tried to use any other mics with it. When I think about that and the many thousands of dollars I have tied up in mics, it's kinda scary.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

The PCM-D1 is the only piece of gear I've ever owned that makes a recording that sounds the same as what I hear with my ears. For that reason, I haven't tried to use any other mics with it. When I think about that and the many thousands of dollars I have tied up in mics, it's kinda scary.

I certainly haven't heard one, but it's hard to see how this would be possible, and no reviews I encountered of the D1 touted the internals as replacments for high end mics.

I trust nobody will lay out all that cash for a D1 basis on this recommendation unless you get a generous return policy.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »
I trust nobody will lay out all that cash for a D1 basis on this recommendation unless you get a generous return policy.

How much cash have you laid out already? The PCM-D1 is priced like it is for a very good reason. It's high end, front to back. It's not a kit, it's ready to go, as is.

If you ever do get a chance to use one, go for it, I don't expect you to buy it based on what I say. Everyone should take equipment reviews with a grain of salt and try for themselves. I hardly ever agree with reviewers, no matter what they are reviewing, music, food, gear, motorcycles...

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »

How much cash have you laid out already? The PCM-D1 is priced like it is for a very good reason. It's high end, front to back. It's not a kit, it's ready to go, as is.

If you ever do get a chance to use one, go for it, I don't expect you to buy it based on what I say. Everyone should take equipment reviews with a grain of salt and try for themselves. I hardly ever agree with reviewers, no matter what they are reviewing, music, food, gear, motorcycles...

Of course I shouldn't have implied I thought you would think that. And there are many advantages to a 1 piece system you are happy with. This is a hobby and and whatever works for you and makes you happy with your recordings is all that counts.

I don't agree with audio reviewers in general, but I do agree with many  of the informed equipment  reviews posted by members here. Generally if there is little or no discussion here about a given piece of equipment there are better alternatives for the same money or less available. Would love to hear what others think of using the D1 to record music in lieu of using high end mics, but I'm afraid there are very few members here who use it.

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 09:22:57 AM »

I know there are many choices in high end mics and I own a lot of them. The problem then becomes one of matching them to the preamp, matching the preamp to the recorder, etc. We all pride ourselves on being able to configure and test gear for our own purposes and to be quite frank about it, after close to 50 years trying to get it right, I found a single piece of gear that easily gives me recordings I want to keep. I bought my PCM-D1 on March 9, 2006 and I'm still happy with it. This doesn't completely stop me from buying and using other gear, like the PCM-M10, but when I'm not stealthing a show, the PCM-D1 is always my first choice.

As you know, there are a lot of other factors in getting a good recording that have nothing to do with the gear, like mic placement, and sometimes it scares me to death to put that D1 on the top of a 15 foot stand. FWIW, I mostly record organs in churches.

Cheers!

Offline jeffee

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:24:22 AM »
What memory card will go in the d-1?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 10:43:45 AM »

From what I've read recently, you can't use any larger capacity than a 4 GB Memory Stick.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 10:51:51 AM »

4GB internal, external is Memory Stick Pro High Speed, 4GB limit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com