Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: quick ihp-120 question  (Read 3254 times)

Offline atxwolfattack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
quick ihp-120 question
« on: February 02, 2007, 04:36:33 PM »
tonight i am going to be taping my very first show with my iriver ihp-120, church audio 9000 preamp and mics and i have been testing out my rig at home and have noticed a few things.

One is that right when the recording starts, and the hard disc is spinning, i can hear it in the recording for like 5 seconds or so, then it goes away. I have not really recorded for more than like a minute or two so far, but it seems like during an hour show, the hard disc needs to spin, thus, creating the noise on the recording. This is just something i am guessing would happen, am i totally wrong?

Also, the band i am taping (Sparklehorse) plays mostly quiet songs, but some louder ones as well, if i keep my levels a bit lower, knowing that the louder songs will be coming up, should i be able to raise the volume on my computer in post without much distortion? I mean, is it really important to have my levels as high as they can without clipping, or is it okay if they are a bit lower.

thanks!

josh

PS the show is in like 5 hours so please reply before then! but if not, its cool, thanks anyway.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: quick ihp-120 question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:41:30 PM »
Damn, you got a few things to consider in 5 hours.  First, have you installed rockbox?  Second, you should NOT be hearing harddrive noise when recording.  Make sure you are not recording from the internal mic, that sounds like what is happening. 

It is ok to have the levels lower, but not ideal. For you first time out it might be the way to go
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:55:50 PM »
yeah, i have rockbox installed, i'm at work right now, but i will do a few more test recordings, it might have been on internal mic on accident.

I hope i get an okay recording tonight, wish me luck! Also, if anyone has any tips at all that might help me out for my first time recording a show, i would really appreciate it.

the hardest part for me is, no clapping, tapping my foot, or singing along... haha, i can do it though.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 05:02:30 PM »
yeah, i have rockbox installed, i'm at work right now, but i will do a few more test recordings, it might have been on internal mic on accident.

I hope i get an okay recording tonight, wish me luck! Also, if anyone has any tips at all that might help me out for my first time recording a show, i would really appreciate it.

the hardest part for me is, no clapping, tapping my foot, or singing along... haha, i can do it though.

I'd say, get the idea that you are going to make a perfect recording, your first time, out of your head. If it turns out perfect, that's great, but you don't need that pressure on top of everything else.

The Rockboxed iHP-120 is great. Once you get it figured out it gets much easier. Stay conservative with your levels at first and adjust them so the loudest parts don't clip.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline atxwolfattack

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »
well im back, looks like my first recording ended up turning out pretty good, well at least to me. I got my levels set pretty good, and the only bad thing that happened was during the encore, some guy was squeezing through everyone, and he started to fall on me so i pushed him back, and he yells "F&#k You" right by my mics pretty loud, oh well.

thanks for all the help guys.

Offline paramnesiac

• Taperssection Member
    • SEMI-Live!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 03:07:35 PM »

Congrats on a successful first time out.

I'm running pretty much the exact same set-up and have been real happy with the results.  I've found that if I set the iriver gain at zero then crank the pre-amp all the way with the switch set to +10 dB I'll get a good recording with plenty of headroom for post-work.  I usually give the finished recording a 4-6 dB bump overall in Soundforge and that's it.  Oh yeah, I also turn off the iriver's AGC, because anything loud enough to clip in that setup is usually just someone screaming in my mic and I don't want the base levels screwed up because of something like that.  I can adjust volumes pretty easily in Soundforge to mitigate screams and whatnot.

I've used that same method for everything from loud punk shows to quiet acoustic sets without problems.
"A couple people away from me there was a 'newcomer' to the 'scene'. A few too many drinks, fist pumping between beats, he yells at his friend, 'How come nobody’s going crazy near the front of the stage?' His friend’s reply, I swear to god: 'We don’t do that here.'" - WebVomit.com

SEMI-Live! - Hear What You've Been Missing.

Church Audio STC-9000 mics & preamp > iriver iHP-120

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »
tonight i am going to be taping my very first show with my iriver ihp-120, church audio 9000 preamp and mics and i have been testing out my rig at home and have noticed a few things.

One is that right when the recording starts, and the hard disc is spinning, i can hear it in the recording for like 5 seconds or so, then it goes away. I have not really recorded for more than like a minute or two so far, but it seems like during an hour show, the hard disc needs to spin, thus, creating the noise on the recording. This is just something i am guessing would happen, am i totally wrong?

Also, the band i am taping (Sparklehorse) plays mostly quiet songs, but some louder ones as well, if i keep my levels a bit lower, knowing that the louder songs will be coming up, should i be able to raise the volume on my computer in post without much distortion? I mean, is it really important to have my levels as high as they can without clipping, or is it okay if they are a bit lower.

thanks!

josh

PS the show is in like 5 hours so please reply before then! but if not, its cool, thanks anyway.

Congradulations of getting your first show done. I am glad your happy with my product let me know if there is any questions you have about my gear... or recording in general.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

AdamZ

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
... some guy was squeezing through everyone, and he started to fall on me so i pushed him back, and he yells "F&#k You" right by my mics pretty loud, oh well.

thanks for all the help guys.
a great initiation, me thinks. welcome aboard. The decision of a crowd free tape or pissing off non-tapers will never go away. I love the aud tapes from '83 with people yelling, clapping , etc. It's a testament to the party going on at the show. If you want a crowd free tape, buy the whole row of tickets :P, or get a board patch. I've had dozens of tapes "ruined" by some screamer or clapper. In the end, it doesn't matter that much because you may find another one someone else made without teh crowd noise. If yours is the good one, then great, the other people will get yours, then. Just keep trying and don't get stressed about it.
Z

Offline bgraves001

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 12:37:57 AM »

thanks!

josh

hey josh - did you enjoy bill baird & acoustic alchemy at that show?  i saw bb / aa last night at the peacock and damn that was good.  i didn't expect bill's whole posse to show up, but 11 guys having fun on stage was such a great show.  i've never seen so many guitars played at once! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com