Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I said goodybe to Minidisc after 15 years.....  (Read 6336 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
I said goodybe to Minidisc after 15 years.....
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:39:37 AM »
and sold my 2 MZ-RH1 1 hour ago for 500 euros to a german guy.
purchased a red r-09 today with 2x 4GB SD(HC) cards from SANDISK.
here a pic of my gear with the 12V-keychain SP-SPSB-9 bbox, which is actually smaller than my real car-remote-control.

several 1-3 days festival are pending and the rechargeable batteries+ the edirol seem to be the perfect setup for this intention.

of course I won´t tape with the bbox on the keychain ;).

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 03:59:00 PM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
Re: I said goodybe to Minidisc after 15 years.....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 02:30:44 PM »
I thought you loved the RH1!!  ;D

enjoy the new toy and good luck at the festival  :)

the R-09 looks vey small, i thought it was a bit bigger! (never took the trouble or had the curiosity to look for the exact size). How does it compare with the iriver? if you could post a pic one day with both would be nice  :)

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 02:35:58 PM »
I thought you loved the RH1!!  ;D

enjoy the new toy and good luck at the festival  :)

the R-09 looks vey small, i thought it was a bit bigger! (never took the trouble or had the curiosity to look for the exact size). How does it compare with the iriver? if you could post a pic one day with both would be nice  :)
the RH1 is cool, but there was a strange behaviour on BOTH of my new RH1s:
when recording in PCM format, lots of recording errors occured no matter if i used new HI-MDs or used ones.
tried it with different discs.....
and as I don´t wanna loose 1 single recording i decided to go for the edirol again.

here a pic: MZ-RH1/iriver H140/Edirol R-09

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 02:41:59 PM by Arni99 »

Offline Gawain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 03:01:31 PM »
very strange indeed both units did the same and with different discs  :o

thanks for the pic, it's a very small unit!  :) but I better would have my mouth closed, now I want an R-09  ;D

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 05:07:27 PM »
and sold my 2 MZ-RH1 1 hour ago for 500 euros to a german guy.
purchased a red r-09 today with 2x 4GB SD(HC) cards from SANDISK.
here a pic of my gear with the 12V-keychain SP-SPSB-9 bbox, which is actually smaller than my real car-remote-control.

several 1-3 days festival are pending and the rechargeable batteries+ the edirol seem to be the perfect setup for this intention.

of course I won´t tape with the bbox on the keychain ;).

Arni,you're going to love it!  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 10:02:56 PM »
its a shame that 15 years worth of recordings are not nearly as good as they could have been........damn mp3 lineage :P

welcome to the land of lossless :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »
its a shame that 15 years worth of recordings are not nearly as good as they could have been........damn mp3 lineage :P

That's ATRAC lineage, Bean! :)

Enjoy your new lossless recordings (and 24bit too!).

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 12:42:56 AM »

HI-MD can make lossless recordings(16bit 44,1kHz) but only 94min55seconds per 1 HI-MD. And as I said before, HI-SP recordings where ok, but WAV recordings made problems on BOTH of my new MZ-RH1s...maybe all my HI-MDs were from a bad batch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:54:17 AM by Arni99 »

nameloc01

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
team MD will miss you. :P

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »

HI-MD can make lossless recordings(16bit 44,1kHz) but only 94min55seconds per 1 HI-MD. And as I said before, HI-SP recordings where ok, but WAV recordings made problems on BOTH of my new MZ-RH1s...maybe all my HI-MDs were from a bad batch.

It's interesting that you say that the discs may be "from a bad batch."  Can that happen??  I just had an Access Read Error on my HiMD yesterday AND the day before...I thought it might be the recorder.  But all the discs I had used were from a new box of discs...is it possible the WHOLE box is bad??

And if it is my HiMD that is the problem, is there a way to give it a "tune up"?  Clean the inside, adjust any lasers and whatnot, etc...

I now do not trust my recorder and don't want that...I have been thinking about upgrading as well...but I like my HiMD.

What do you all think?   ???
#1 - MM-HLSC-1 > MM-MBM > R09
#2 - AT853 > CA9100 3wire Preamp/BattBox > R09

Coachella 06, 07, 08
Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

Drive Out The Bush Regime!
For more info on how you can get involved, plz visit:
http://www.worldcantwait.net

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »

It's interesting that you say that the discs may be "from a bad batch."  Can that happen??  I just had an Access Read Error on my HiMD yesterday AND the day before...I thought it might be the recorder.  But all the discs I had used were from a new box of discs...is it possible the WHOLE box is bad??

And if it is my HiMD that is the problem, is there a way to give it a "tune up"?  Clean the inside, adjust any lasers and whatnot, etc...

I now do not trust my recorder and don't want that...I have been thinking about upgrading as well...but I like my HiMD.

i had a blank once do a couple of goofey things,on both of my hi-mds.just that one blank,that was the first and the last time.i'd definitely try a few other mds. curious... were they the "standard ' sony hi- mds ( blue discs in a kinda clear square case..., or the black discs in the rectangular shaped black case?)

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:31:36 PM »

i had a blank once do a couple of goofey things,on both of my hi-mds.just that one blank,that was the first and the last time.i'd definitely try a few other mds. curious... were they the "standard ' sony hi- mds ( blue discs in a kinda clear square case..., or the black discs in the rectangular shaped black case?)
The standard blue ones...I bought 3 5-packs off eBay - the first pack, no problems - this second pack, 3 of the 5 that I have tried using give me access errors.  If it was just one disc, I would think it is the disc, but 3 out of 5?  I can't hardly believe that...

I do have an unopened pack, so I will try a new disc out of that pack and see if it still happens...

And what about tuning up a HiMD deck?  If I wanted to clean it or adjust the laser/writer (whatever writes to the disc), etc...is that possible?  And a friend of mine has one as well and he keeps having issues with one channel cutting in and out...so really, we are both in need of a repairman or a thread that could help us learn how to maintain a HiMD deck.

Any help is appreciated!!  Thanx!

Coachella 06, 07, 08

Upcoming Shows
9/3 - Ice Cube | 9/8 - The Toadies | 9/22 - Beck |9/23 - My Morning Jacket | 9/27 - Edgefest (Gogol!) | 10/11 - The Bakerton Group | 10/14 - The Roots | 11/28 - Dir en Grey | 11/29 - Soulfly & Cavelera Conspiracy | 12/13 - NIN (Vegas)

nameloc01

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »
i shouldnt even be writing this ::), but other than that one time, i have never had any problems what so ever.so i am really not sure what to tell you,other than have it looked at or replaced if it is under warranty.very strange though.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 04:31:23 AM »
mine were also the blue SONY HI-MDs fresh out of the box and the RH1 was also fresh out of the package, so I guess it MUST have been a bad series of SONY HI-MDs.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:12:36 AM by Arni99 »

Offline ~sin213~

• Taperssection Regular
  • Kaizoku!
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 06:26:37 PM »
Just a little info...it was the box of discs!  Wow...all 5 bad.

I opened a new box and recorded the other night at Les Claypool and it worked perfectly without any issues.  Guess I'm tossing out a whole box!  Sucks...

Thanx goodness it wasn't my recorder though.   ;D

Coachella 06, 07, 08

Upcoming Shows

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com