Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 124007 times)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »
I asked Ted to build a custom cable 4.0mm x 1.7mm (to power the IPA) to 4.75mm x 1.7mm (plugged into my 12V external battery - Fotodiox Turbopack 9000 Power Pack).

This external battery successfully powered up my IPA, which supported my KCY > Neumann AK40 caps (KCY cables built by Nick).

I've used this set up nicely for a few recordings over the last few months.

Perhaps this would work: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Speed-4-0mm-1-7mm-Power/dp/B00NQCMRJ6

I ordered one, and will report back when it arrives. I wonder why Jon hasn't commented here- I've seen him here much less often as of late.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 12:29:30 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #166 on: October 31, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »
Count me in on an external power option for the IPA. Ideally a USB solution like Jon had said he had planned.

For my Beyers I can get through about 1 3/4 shows on 1 battery. Just did TAB in Vegas and the battery started dying midway through the second set of the second night. Seems like a waste to change the battery every show, and too hard for me to keep track of night to night to maximize each battery. A 3 night run works (2 batteries changed during set break on night 2). 2 night runs...not so much.

I had mentioned in another post, Jon has had a family emergency recently. My parents are friends with him. I'll let Jon share details if he wants. I hope he's doing well, and I hope he's back soon.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #167 on: October 31, 2017, 01:35:17 PM »
Hope Jon is doing the best he can. He's one of the people that makes TS.com fun and interesting for me. His absence is notable and a quick google search revealed what I assume must be the reason. My sincerest condolences and hope we see him around here again soon.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #168 on: October 31, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
Hope Jon is doing the best he can. He's one of the people that makes TS.com fun and interesting for me. His absence is notable and a quick google search revealed what I assume must be the reason. My sincerest condolences and hope we see him around here again soon.

+T.

Vibes to Jon, and I hope everything gets better for him and his family.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
I asked Ted to build a custom cable 4.0mm x 1.7mm (to power the IPA) to 4.75mm x 1.7mm (plugged into my 12V external battery - Fotodiox Turbopack 9000 Power Pack).

This external battery successfully powered up my IPA, which supported my KCY > Neumann AK40 caps (KCY cables built by Nick).

Perhaps this would work: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Speed-4-0mm-1-7mm-Power/dp/B00NQCMRJ6

I ordered one, and will report back when it arrives. I wonder why Jon hasn't commented here- I've seen him here much less often as of late.

This cable appears to not to work, as least not consistently. The light reads orange (i.e. low battery). It seems to work fine at first, but then cuts in and out. It's too bad, because it's a lovely small solution for running a KCY into channels 5&6 on the mixpre6. If only I could find a way not to burn a disposable a23 every show and powe off of the same usb-c battery as the deck.

Any thoughts on a small 12v battery? Perhaps this:https://www.amazon.com/Rechageable-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Pack-3500/dp/B007RQW5WG/ref=pd_sim_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=SJ1AAH1AY9C2QQERMNC3&th=1
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:39:39 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:

Offline jahorro

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #170 on: November 07, 2017, 07:46:07 PM »

Here's my set up, as per my previous post.  The battery lasts several recordings.

I had messaged Jon about a 5V > 12V USB-A to 1.7mm adapter cable last month, and he mentioned to me that it is still under development, but expected to be available by the end of the year.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:48:01 PM by jahorro »
Recorders: Zoom H6, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10 | Preamps: Tinybox, IPA, Tascam iXJ2 | Mics: Neumann KM140s

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #171 on: November 07, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »

Here's my set up, as per my previous post.  The battery lasts several recordings.

I had messaged Jon about a 5V > 12V USB-A to 1.7mm adapter cable last month, and he mentioned to me that it is still under development, but expected to be available by the end of the year.
thats nice but I rather have a tb with built in battery personally. Less fuss and potential issues
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #172 on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »

thats nice but I rather have a tb with built in battery personally. Less fuss and potential issues

The IPA runs on a A23 battery.  Naiant says for 20hrs but I never used one for more than 3.  Have one of the cables guys make a chopped XLR>stereo mini cable and that makes it less fussy.  The IPA is available now and less expensive than the tinybox was when it was available.

I would be nice to know how long the A23 would last using the different mics out there--maybe some of the owners could do the test.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #173 on: November 08, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »

The IPA runs on a A23 battery.  Naiant says for 20hrs but I never used one for more than 3.  Have one of the cables guys make a chopped XLR>stereo mini cable and that makes it less fussy.  The IPA is available now and less expensive than the tinybox was when it was available.

I would be nice to know how long the A23 would last using the different mics out there--maybe some of the owners could do the test.

The Naiant website states that the battery life with an A23 is down to ~5 hours with a 60v stereo circuit like with a KCY.

I like my IPA as well, sounds great, etc. But I'd rather not have to throw a battery into a landfill every time I tape a show.
Recording:

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #174 on: November 10, 2017, 11:49:32 AM »
I have a dummy question

If i was ordering Nbob Actives for my AKG caps to standard phantom recorder. Which IPA options should i select for in and out ? and do i need more than 1 ? I have PFAs for my other set and 1 each for that setup

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2017, 10:47:06 AM »
Santa dropped a post-Christmas package for me from Jon yesterday.  I was looking for a moderately priced pair of small omnis to run in channels 3/4 of my DR-60 when I wasn't running a board patch, along with my Neumann KM184s (channels 1 and 2).  So picked up a pair of the Naiant X-R omni caps and cables.  I decided to pick up an IPA since it wasn't much more than a battery box and has a ton of versatility if I upgrade down the road to active caps, etc. 
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:52 AM »
Just received my ipa and stereo cable for my caps. Very well constructed small stealthy and versatile. If it sounds as well as it is built I'll be very impressed.  :coolguy: Those of you running line in for a pcm10 is it set at 9db or 18db? Also what setting on the pcm10 do you recommend (3-4)? Thanks
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 04:55:38 AM by MBHOTAPER »

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »

I used a small Talencell top power my IPA this weekend and it worked well.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline MBHOTAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • Jam Bands Rock!
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2018, 12:38:47 AM »

This cable appears to not to work, as least not consistently. The light reads orange (i.e. low battery). It seems to work fine at first, but then cuts in and out. It's too bad, because it's a lovely small solution for running a KCY into channels 5&6 on the mixpre6. If only I could find a way not to burn a disposable a23 every show and powe off of the same usb-c battery as the deck.

Any thoughts on a small 12v battery? Perhaps this:https://www.amazon.com/Rechageable-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Pack-3500/dp/B007RQW5WG/ref=pd_sim_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=SJ1AAH1AY9C2QQERMNC3&th=1
It can run on phantom power from the mixpre from what I understand from Jon or does the kcy eliminate that power option?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
you can run it with phantom power from channels 1-4 from the mixpre6. But not from the mini jack which is channel 5+6. The internal a23 battery is perfect for "what we do," and runs for a very long time.
Recording:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.32 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com