Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 568 vent position.  (Read 8571 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG 568 vent position.
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:38 AM »
Samples of C568EB shotguns, run in stereo, vents pointed out.  Discuss.

Radio City Music Hall (theater)
https://archive.org/details/bobandphilduo2018-03-03.r1.spyder9.flac16

BB&T Center (auditorium)
https://archive.org/details/deadandco2018-02-26.r1.spyder9.flac16
Yep,   Sometimes shot gun point at stacks is a nice way to go.  Simple and gets the job done.

Exactly. Simple, easy to use and usually works out just fine. So back on topic. I guess it’s best to point the threads to the sides or up. Going to try up next time as Pohahu suggests. I’m always looking for variations especially with stuff you’re not supposed to use. :facepalm:

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 06:01:43 PM »
All that matters to anyone else is that the recording sounds good.
Extra credit if your tape sounds better than the other guy's.

If you get a kick out of bucking trends while making good sounding recordings, mo power to ya, but that's just a personal thing.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 10:35:35 PM »

BB&T Center (auditorium)
Yep,   Sometimes shot gun point at stacks is a nice way to go.  Simple and gets the job done.

Exactly. Simple, easy to use and usually works out just fine. So back on topic. I guess it’s best to point the threads to the sides or up. Going to try up next time as Pohahu suggests. I’m always looking for variations especially with stuff you’re not supposed to use. :facepalm:

Why not split the difference and point the vents @ 45*?

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 10:52:05 PM »
The vent position makes little to no difference, especially when used to record music in the typical "taper" application.

Offline ts

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 03:48:10 PM »
The vent position makes little to no difference, especially when used to record music in the typical "taper" application.

I agree with that statement with mics like the Naks that have venting all the way around. The 568’s are only half vented and vent position definitely makes a difference.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »

I agree with that statement with mics like the Naks that have venting all the way around. The 568’s are only half vented and vent position definitely makes a difference.

No it does not. Proximity has no effect on frequency cancellation inside the interference tube.

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
AKG 568 vent position.
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
Thanks for the topic and link. I have been running a pair of C568EB's with the vents up. The venues are small and usually run them with either BSC1 or MBHO440 and mix them together. Glad I'm still sort of a newbie at this recording thing.  I like to experiment and go against the grain sometimes. I  will see about vents sideways at at larger venue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 05:41:37 PM »
Thanks for the topic and link. I have been running a pair of C568EB's with the vents up. The venues are small and usually run them with either BSC1 or MBHO440 and mix them together. Glad I'm still sort of a newbie at this recording thing.  I like to experiment and go against the grain sometimes. I  will see about vents sideways at at larger venue.

You could do that but the only way you could prove that vent position matters in a given setting would be to have  at least 2 mics in very close proximity to each other and the vents facing in different directions.  In the scenario you suggest, it sounds as though you would have the vents facing in opposite directions...180 deg. from each other, but at a slight distance from each other.  Depending on room acoustics and your location within that space, you would not hear much difference between the 2, at least not any more than any other stereo pair of microphones (other than the pickup pattern)

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 06:17:59 PM »

You could do that but the only way you could prove that vent position matters in a given setting would be to have  at least 2 mics in very close proximity to each other and the vents facing in different directions.  In the scenario you suggest, it sounds as though you would have the vents facing in opposite directions...180 deg. from each other, but at a slight distance from each other.  Depending on room acoustics and your location within that space, you would not hear much difference between the 2, at least not any more than any other stereo pair of microphones (other than the pickup pattern)

"I  will see about vents sideways at at larger venue": I was thinking about JRAD at the Wiltern and Phish at MGM Grand Garden. Definitley larger venues
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Offline ts

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »

No it does not. Proximity has no effect on frequency cancellation inside the interference tube.

Ok.

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 01:23:52 AM »
I always run mu ck8s or ck69s with vents up sounds killer every time
Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline ts

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »

BB&T Center (auditorium)

Why not split the difference and point the vents @ 45*?

Now that’s something worth trying. A little bit of both. Not straight up and not to the sides.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com