Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 - suggested input level for internal mics at big rock show?  (Read 11409 times)

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
Re: Edirol R-09 - suggested input level for internal mics at big rock show?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 11:10:12 AM »
Depends on what you're recording, where you're recording, the mics and batt box being used.  10 could be perfect, it could be too hot, or it could be too low.
nothing > nada > R-09

wklitz

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »
I like the Croakies mounting option.

Do people actually still use Croakies in everyday life?  I thought the 80's were over.  Pretty much the only time I see Croakies are at a concert and it's someone taping...seems like a dead give away to security.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 03:18:49 PM »
I like the Croakies mounting option.
Do people actually still use Croakies in everyday life?  I thought the 80's were over.  Pretty much the only time I see Croakies are at a concert and it's someone taping...seems like a dead give away to security.

Qft.  I feel the same way about a backwards ballcap.  Stealth needs to have some fashion sense.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
That's why I don't use the croakies OR the cap.  :P
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21:14 AM »
I prefer to stealth at shoulder-level, myself.  The shows I go to usually have heavy security, and they tend to be well-trained by the bands' heads of security (I've seen a few stealthers busted on several occasions), so it lets me blend in more easily, being able to bob my head, look around, etc.

I 100% agree with the shoulder-level method.  Much less anxiety and the recordings can still be VERY sweet...

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline bbernardini

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Any more thoughts on this question?

Offline hekiko

• Taperssection Newbie
I have recorded live concerts using Edirol R-09 internal mic.
They were not Rock concerts, and I set the input level = 7 and the result was OK but I still got some cracks during some very loud notes.
In this case, the result would be very soft and I need to change the volume level of the recording with a sound editing application later, though (+400% or more) and reduce the bass.

I have set the AGC on once, but the result was much worse (very annoying indeed, with the volume going up and down unnaturally all the time).
So I would suggest input level = 5 or 6 using the internal mic to record in the open air. If you have to conceal the mic inside your jacket or something, higher input level is OK (7 or 8).
I put my Edirol inside a thick dark glove, start recording and switch the HOLD on and let just the mic portion slipped out.

Offline bbernardini

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
I recorded the big rock show in question using some SP-CMC-19s and their cheapest battery box. I had the R-09 set at 14 for the opening act, and boosted it up to 16 or 17 for the headliner. I probably could have put it into the low 20s with no ill effects.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com