Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A > D CONVERTOR FOR ANALOG TRANSFERS to PC  (Read 4605 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
A > D CONVERTOR FOR ANALOG TRANSFERS to PC
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:07 PM »
Looking for recommendations...

Thank you.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: A > D CONVERTOR FOR ANALOG TRANSFERS to PC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »
If you're already planning on getting a DR680 for your recording rig (or already have), you can use that for doing the A/D+recording, and just transfer your files to your pc.  You need to be doing real-time transfers anyway for analog conversions, and adding a step to transfer the recorded files to the pc doesn't take much extra time (and will save you money if you already have recording gear, or plan to get it).

Otherwise, there are probably a lot of options, though I'm not too familiar with all of them.  One option is to get a used Sound Devices USBPre version 1 or 1.5 from ebay.  You can probably get one for $125-175.  I knew some tapers who used them for laptop recording back in the day.  They are/were pretty nice from what I gather, and I'd imagine that any Sound Devices product would have a pretty good A/D.

You could also go all out for the newer USBPre 2 which can be used in the field as a standalone A/D or mic preamp+A/D, but they are far more expensive.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:00:38 PM »
DR680

I've been using my HD-P2 and then copying the file to my PC with a car-reader... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline waltmon

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:03:36 PM »
I'm wondering if I can use my Fostex Pd-4 dat for pass through....its a killer dat deck. ..

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »
I'm wondering if I can use my Fostex Pd-4 dat for pass through....its a killer dat deck. ..

Why not?!?  I've thought about using my R500 (for the SBM), but never got off my ass...  I just go straight Nak>HD-P2 and that works fine for me...

My recommendation is to use an external recorder and copy the file onto your PC...  I never had much luck with PC based recorders (soundcards, etc.) b/c of PC noise, etc...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »

Why not?!?  I've thought about using my R500 (for the SBM), but never got off my ass...  I just go straight Nak>HD-P2 and that works fine for me...

My recommendation is to use an external recorder and copy the file onto your PC...  I never had much luck with PC based recorders (soundcards, etc.) b/c of PC noise, etc...

Terry

I used to use my DTC-A6 (or was it an A7?) for this very purpose. Heck, it's currently on loan for a huge transfer project.

I'm wondering if, in this day and age of newfangled digital recorders, the A/D on those would be better than that of a 20 year old DAT deck.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

I've thought about using my R500 (for the SBM)

I'm wondering if, in this day and age of newfangled digital recorders, the A/D on those would be better than that of a 20 year old DAT deck.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure the newer ADCs are "better", at least they do 24bit...

Terry

Offline waltmon

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
I was doing Nak > 744t....amazing transfers...super clean of my old analog masters..but I got in a spot and sold it.  That was super easy...

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
I use Nak DR-1 > Korg MR-1 (DSD)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
I was doing Nak > 744t....amazing transfers...super clean of my old analog masters..but I got in a spot and sold it.  That was super easy...
I have done analog masters into my 680 and things sound just fine.  Years ago I posted a comp of the V3's A/D VS the 680's A/D and I could not tell the difference.  Don't have the motivation to find that thread but if you search it's out there somewhere.  I have also gone to using 24bit for recording those masters.  I figure it can't hurt them, even if it is probably not needed.  I figured if the A/D sounded as good as a lunatec V3 then that is as good as I needed for master cassette work.

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 01:55:20 AM »
Mytek stereo 192

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
I am in the middle of an ongoing project to transfer my GD analog masters (all of which can be sampled on etree and lma) using the following lineage:
Nak BX300 > attenuated Audioquest cables > V3 (24 bit) > otptical > Edirol UA25 > usb.  This works fine and of course the V3 is a very dependable converter.  I have also used my Deneke AD20 (which some say has a better converter) in place of the V3 .  I have never considered using the 680 but agree with consensus here that there is no reason it (or any digital recorder) would not be effective.  But a converter such as the AD20 can be had for new for <300 and appear occasionally on flea-bay for less.  Good luck.     
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com