Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD20 Noise Floor  (Read 2858 times)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
AD20 Noise Floor
« on: May 10, 2004, 10:20:43 PM »
Ok, have had the AD20 out a few times and I am not sure that I am happy with the noise floor where I need to set the mic gain.  With the SP-Preamp I don't think I had as much hiss.  The part that sucks is the detail seems to be greater on the AD20...  This is running the gain between 1/2 and 3/4.  Anyone else seeing a fair amount of hiss with the gain set there?  If I run the levels between 1/4 and none, there is NO hiss...  

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:AD20 Noise Floor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 07:39:04 AM »
I don't remember how much gain I used on the ad-20 but I never had problems with hiss/noise.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 08:40:12 AM »
I don't remember how much gain I used on the ad-20 but I never had problems with hiss/noise.

same here. ran the AD20 for about 2 years and never noticed any hiss

the water's clean and innocent

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 11:41:54 AM »
The AD-20 adds 17db gain, minimum.  I have never noticed any hiss or noise. I usually don't need to turn up the gain much either.  What are you recording and what mics are you running  that you need to add that much gain to the signal???
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 12:34:58 PM »
Non amped (most times) Instrumental and Vocal.  I think some of the noise was from the mics, I have a set of 853's that I am going to try tonight...

I did find that if I used Sound Forge's Noise reduction it took care of it completely.  Actually sounds like I was immediately in front of the instrument... Very cool!

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 01:04:02 PM »
cool.  I run the ADK TLs.  You should try them out if anyone in your area has a set they are willing to led you.  Very noise free mics, very clean signal.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 04:40:51 PM »
The AD20 does have noticeable hiss if the gains are up high, I have played around with it enough to notice it.

If the levels aren't up too high there really isn't any noticeable hiss.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 05:05:57 PM »
like i said, i rarely have to turn the gain up at all.  +17 db is the minimum that it provides, which is usually enough for me.  I can always adjust the volume upwards in soundforge if needed.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 05:32:54 PM »
Well I tried a few samples with the at853's and the more noticeable hiss is gone.  I think the noise was mic generated... Will keep in mind the ADK's.  I wonder if the at853's do better on phantom or battery... Gotta find a PS-2 to try...  

Course that would be when I  decide to fly my White 853's   ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com