Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: A couple of UA-5 questions from a newbie. I have read the manual and FAQ  (Read 3337 times)

Offline Bdifr78

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Hey there everybody!

I am wondering about a couple of nobs on the UA-5.

On the front of the UA-5 in the "input monitor" section, what does the volume do?  Does it have any use or purpose I should know about for recording?  Also in the same section what does the "monitor SW" button do, and does it have any use for recording?

Another thing I just thought of.  If I am recording on a JB3, what is the benfit of running the signal through the UA-5 first when patching.(other rigs, and SBD)  Should I even do this or is it just as good to go straight into the JB3?  Thanks in advance.

Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Needs to get out more...
The input monitor level is for the headphone amp, so no, it doesn't effect the recording. No clue on "monitor SW" though.

I'd leave the UA5 out of a board patch, if for no other reason than the feed from a board can be (and usually is) really hot, and the UA5 would just be adding more gain to the signal. I've got a bag I carry specifically for board patches, it has every combination of cables you can imagine, all terminating in a mini-plug (XLR>mini, RCA>mini, 1/4">mini, etc.). As for patching out of other rigs, I'd see no real reason not to do it, other than adding more equipment to the lineage (i.e. KM184>V3>DAP1>UA5>JB3)

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
If I am recording on a JB3, what is the benfit of running the signal through the UA-5 first when patching.(other rigs, and SBD)

I'd leave the UA5 out of a board patch, if for no other reason than the feed from a board can be (and usually is) really hot, and the UA5 would just be adding more gain to the signal.

I disagree. You'll get far better results running a SBD feed through the UA-5.  Just run the SBD feed through the RCAs on the back of the unit since it might be too hot to run through the front XLRs.

For patching out of other AUD gear, pick up a Hosa ODL-276 and a barrel splitter - no need to run the UA5.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
If I am recording on a JB3, what is the benfit of running the signal through the UA-5 first when patching.(other rigs, and SBD)

I'd leave the UA5 out of a board patch, if for no other reason than the feed from a board can be (and usually is) really hot, and the UA5 would just be adding more gain to the signal.

I disagree. You'll get far better results running a SBD feed through the UA-5. Just run the SBD feed through the RCAs on the back of the unit since it might be too hot to run through the front XLRs.

I always forget about those damn RCA inputs...  ;)

I was thinking he'd have to run XLR in...
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline neumannkid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
I agree with Brian, run the sbd feed through the UA-5, the rcas are the best way to go because the XLR's appear to be a little more sensitive than the rca inputs. I also think using the UA-5 this way is a good idea because its A/D is better than the JB3's, IMHO. 

As for patching I really cant help you in that respect, since I have never done it with the UA-5.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
The ua5 resamples anything fed to it digitally, so a digital coax>ua5>jb3 signal path would yield a jb3 recording that contains binary information that's different than what was being fed to the ua5 (i.e. not a true clone of the source). 

SPECULATION follows, but I'd suspect that even with the resampling, such a recording would sound better than an analog patch (using either the ua5 or jb3 as a>d)

Offline neumannkid

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Shows Ive taped on the archive
Well thats if you can get a digital patch from a sbd, I suspect most fo the time you will find that you are offered an analog or nothing. IN that case use the rca input over the xlr.

On the otherhand when you are offered a digital patch from a sbd do not use the UA-5 just go straight to the JB3. Most digital patches will not be optical so you want to get the appropriate boxes/cables(like Brian pointed out) for that instance.

I would also follow these guidlines when patching out of a rig.

edited to clarify statement more
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 03:35:38 PM by neumannkid »

Offline Bdifr78

• Taperssection All-Star
Thanks guys!  One question though.  I was under the impression that with the sens knobs turned all the way to the left on the front of the UA-5 it is at mic level which would be -52db, right?  Isn't the RCA connection at line level.  That would give me the impression that the xlrs would be more able to handle a "hot" signal.  If I understand what a "hot" signal is correctly.  What am I missing here?

Joe
Neumann KM140s>Bumblebee MIAGI-II XLRs>Lunatec V3>SD722

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
forgetting about line lvel/mic level and all the rest (it tends to confuse me). running an extra hot (loud) signal to the xlrs might be too much for the ua-5 to handle. even w/ the gain turned all the way down, it might still be too much. i think that would probably cause some damage too. in the case of running mx-100>ua-5 you have the ability to control the input signal to the ua-5, not so from a patch. you shouldn't have these problems w/ the rcas on the back.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Thanks guys!  One question though.  I was under the impression that with the sens knobs turned all the way to the left on the front of the UA-5 it is at mic level which would be -52db, right?  Isn't the RCA connection at line level.  That would give me the impression that the xlrs would be more able to handle a "hot" signal.  If I understand what a "hot" signal is correctly.  What am I missing here?

Joe

I believe that when the front knobs are fully counter clockwise, you're at unity / line level input.  From there the front offers gain.  Soundboards can definitely overload the front inputs.

On the rear, there's less gain (and obviously no phantom) but you actually get attenuation when you're fully ccw, which is often necessary for a soundboard feed.  As well, when you go from balanced to unbalanced (xlr>rca) you drop 6 dB, which can be helpful again.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com