Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Panasonic SV 3800 question  (Read 3057 times)

Offline rosaliemcphall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • one man gathers what another man spills
Panasonic SV 3800 question
« on: January 26, 2004, 12:52:32 PM »
Ive owned since new a Panasonic SV 3800, bought in 1996. Recently ive entertained the notion of selling it and most recently did. The new owner however is experiencing  problem using it that i never came across. He has used sony walkman sized dat ( d7 ) and set it at the longer rec time which i believe sets the sampling freq at 32.?Khz (?) - Now comes the tricky part - the 3800 recognizes the samp freq but shuts down soon after loading the tape. ( 5sec ) It actually doesnt shut down but after loading and disp the abs time it UN loads the tape and goes into standby mode. We loaded several tapes that had samp freq of 48 and 44.1 and those tapes played fine. No problems. My tech is off on mon so i thought i'd ask the board, i'm mostly a lurker. Thanks for any help - i do have the manual and did read it thoroughly yrs ago but couldnt find anything in it yest re: this situation. Also any owners get a remote with this unit the manual pic one on the cover but i'm positive i never got one, the new owner is asking for it ?? thanks again tapers WE rock -----  

AdamZ

Re:Panasonic SV 3800 question
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 01:14:52 PM »
I too have a D7 and 3800 combo, I've only ever used the 32hz mode on the D7 one time whenthe show went longer and I knew i was going to run outta tape. The 3800 handled it perfectly. The tape was playing at 48, then midshow (between songs) it switched to 32.  There are cleanliness issues , I believe, which cause the 3800 to spit out a tape it doesnt like. It's like self-preservation; give it poison, out it comes (like too much tequila!). I've rec'd several tapes like that via trades.  Monitoring the error rate led me to believe the tapes weren't clean (from a dirty deck) and the 3800 spit em out at a consistently high error count.
 I would tell the person to play back the tape in the D7 and tape it on the 3800. Then, chuck the 32 hz tape and never do it again.!  It plays the tape slower and the D7 will die much faster using that  garbage. Esp playing it back over and over. Tapes are $2,, decks  cant be repalced too easily nowadays.
The 3800 is the workhorse that'lll plow through most anything.  If that tape is coming out, I'd treat it like it's got mad cow.
If you bought that unit new in box, there shoulda been a wireless remote and a rackmnount kit that came with it.

Hope this helps
adamZ

Offline rosaliemcphall

• Taperssection Newbie
  • one man gathers what another man spills
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 01:42:25 PM »
Adam man thanks for your reply !
You mentioned error rates - while i was messing with it yest i remembered something about error rates - So i got it to display an error number 04 on the sub menu screen option 8 Error codes. when loading and un loading 32hz tapes - i would advice never to use these either but its not up to us its up to the user that has many master dats that he used this freq for. the remote is still vague on my part, i kinda think i might remember something like a remote for this but i said its vague. gotta looka round some more - i do have the rack mount hardware and the orig box, hhmmmn where could it be ?? ...

Rosie

AdamZ

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 03:06:00 PM »
i just finished reading a post from Doug Oade about D7/8 issues. It's there on his board to see. I cant find it right now. The high rate of DATs coming off a D7/8 that another deck will see as blank was the reason for the post.  The tape essentially misloads in the D7 and it's not writing its Sony subcodes on the tape so other decks will not see the tape as a normal one b/c Sony D7/8 make the data different somehow.    If the taper used the LP for a long time, he's probably smoked the deck if it wont playback at all.
See if the original deck plays the tape and if so, back ita all up asap.
adam

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 04:17:21 AM »
if you don't mind me asking, rosaliemcphall, whom did you sell this, too?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com