Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Potential future JB3 competition...  (Read 21618 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Potential future JB3 competition...
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2003, 09:43:18 PM »
No level meter on the AD-20. Spaceman, if budget affords, keep the AD-20... serious...

Offline all_screwed_up

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a Rocker, a Roller, right out of controller!
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2003, 03:12:11 AM »
Is that 795 MB "bug" (it seems like that :-) also happening to a Nomad Jukebox 3?
For Those About To Rock, I Salute You!

Offline all_screwed_up

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a Rocker, a Roller, right out of controller!
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2003, 01:17:52 PM »
Is that 795 MB "bug" (it seems like that :-) also happening to a Nomad Jukebox 3?

I found the answer on the internet. The Nomad Jukebox 3 has a limit of 3 Gigabyte.
For Those About To Rock, I Salute You!

Offline jobseek2001

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2003, 01:03:50 PM »
Couple of updates that i got by pestering the iRiver people in Hong Kong:
1.  They like the idea of visible recording levels on the LCD and/or remote and will pass this on to their development team.

2.  They cannot up the 795M wav file limit via firmware, so that number is basically set in stone.

Not really a good thing, although maybe the 20 gig version coming out next year might have a higher limit.  Doesn't help me for October though:(

About the 795M limit: auto-open of new files is possible? GreatConcert01.Wav GreatConcert02.Wav etc etc
Together with visible levels and adjustability of the levels the device is usable?

Offline timP

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2003, 10:20:58 AM »
thinking about returning my 120.....
thank god for 14 day returns at Comp-usa
I really like it cause it is so small and sleek, just not what I need... thinking of going for the core-sounds PDA card that lets me record......
?>FR2LE

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2003, 10:43:30 AM »
the IHP 100 is only a 1.5 gb .

this is the one that would compare to The JB3,
http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iHP-120.asp

Nick
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Savage Messiah

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My Trading Site
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2003, 11:21:53 AM »
So it's more or less unanimous that Sony has stopped producing tape transports.

So... what if Sony decided to produce an M1 that has a 20-40GB hard drive instead of a tape transport, with USB out and optical in/out in addition to the 7-pin, plus the recording time of the JB3? If nothing else, the iRiver demonstrates this can be done in an extremely small device. Minus the tape transport, the overall size of the device would be exactly between the M1/D100 and the iHP-xxx series with the combined best features of both. If made the exact size of the current M1, one might be able to fit in an A/D that is just as good as the AD-20?

Does anyone have an opinion on THAT - on whether Sony would actually ever get around to doing such a thing, or if anyone else would be capable or producing one in the next year or so?

I've talked with some people off dat-heads via email and they all agree that the technology exists to bring all those features together, just that no one has decided to do it.

Collecting "new" gear.

ISO stealth DATs and cassettes from '90s rock shows!

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2004, 07:08:55 AM »
The iHP 120 seems very promising. If they add a meter (that's the only big problem for now) that would be a better solution than the jb3. It has mic input with until 20 dB of gain (not ideal but good as a backup), it can read ogg files (for the player's part that's something good), and it's definitely smaller.
I think I 'll wait a little till they update the firmware with the meter function (hoping they'll do it, and if they read their customer's forum they probably will)

Offline timP

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »
haven't returned my IRIVER... I like it as a player alot, and have gotten some nice recordings....The freakin file size limits are the only pisser of the whole unit, and no it doesn't start a new file when one is full. You have to re press record youself.........Sound Pro's is supposedly working on a in-line meter reader, and until they work it out or IRIVER puts out level adding software, I'm using a MD with level meters.....
?>FR2LE

Offline Kelso

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I don't tape, just talking
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2004, 03:56:33 PM »
>Couple of updates that i got by pestering the iRiver people in Hong Kong:
>1.  They like the idea of visible recording levels on the LCD and/or remote >and will pass this on to their development team.
>2.  They cannot up the 795M wav file limit via firmware, so that number is >basically set in stone.
>Not really a good thing, although maybe the 20 gig version coming out next >year might have a higher limit.  Doesn't help me for October though:(

haven't see that. Good news. The question is how long will it take? I don't care about the limitation. I don't tape concert. Does someone know if it's bit-acurate with a an ad20?

The new version (40 Go, color lcd) won't be really necessary (the color would probably suck up the battery, and 20 Go is enough, even for tapers . Could be useful for a long trip away from any computer (20 Go means 31 hr of wav 16/44.1 recording if I'm right).

Offline RJPass

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2004, 12:47:44 PM »
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=296204

For those of you that want to test, sound professionals sells it for $400.  The URL i pasted, sell it for $340, with Free FedEX Shipping  =)

Just thought i'd pass it on...

BobW

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2004, 09:13:42 PM »
So it's more or less unanimous that Sony has stopped producing tape transports.

So... what if Sony decided to produce an M1 that has a 20-40GB hard drive instead of a tape transport, with USB out and optical in/out in addition to the 7-pin, plus the recording time of the JB3? If nothing else, the iRiver demonstrates this can be done in an extremely small device. Minus the tape transport, the overall size of the device would be exactly between the M1/D100 and the iHP-xxx series with the combined best features of both. If made the exact size of the current M1, one might be able to fit in an A/D that is just as good as the AD-20?

Does anyone have an opinion on THAT - on whether Sony would actually ever get around to doing such a thing, or if anyone else would be capable or producing one in the next year or so?

I've talked with some people off dat-heads via email and they all agree that the technology exists to bring all those features together, just that no one has decided to do it.

Sony, being Sony, could have done this three years ago.
There's a HD Recorders thread around here somewhere, and one on the new Hi-MD "with TEETH" ......

Offline Sharky

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I hate wires
    • My Homepage
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »
The new Philips HDD100 has an optical Line-in. Doesn't look like it supports the WAV format though. Maybe through firmware?

http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_HDD100/4505-6490_7-21129460.html?tag=pdtl-list

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 2.922 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com