Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Manfrotto Rapid Adapter  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Manfrotto Rapid Adapter
« on: September 20, 2016, 11:36:17 AM »

I've been thinking about using multiple Rapid Adapters on a bar and haven't been able to find a diameter for the hole in the Manfrotto 014-38. Does anyone recommend an extension that fits the pass through or have a measurement?

Thanks.

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
Re: Manfrotto Rapid Adapter
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
Saw someone else post these here not long ago.  I haven't tried myself though.  I'm curious about it for my split omni Studio Projects C4's too.

http://www.buddipole.com/lotewh.html
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:37:18 PM »
I measured mine, although I'm pretty sure it is not a genuine Manfrotto. 17 mm.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »

I've been thinking about using multiple Rapid Adapters on a bar and haven't been able to find a diameter for the hole in the Manfrotto 014-38. Does anyone recommend an extension that fits the pass through or have a measurement?

Thanks.

Hardware such as baby pins, that the rapid adapter is meant to mount with is 5/8" diameter.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies! I'm trying to upgrade my janky DIY setup to something similar to the Manfrotto 154 three mic bar, but with multiple axes and spread omni capable.

The BuddiPole Long Whip is pretty interesting. I'd never go to 10' but at <2m it may be pretty stable, $18 isn't bad either.

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:42:30 AM »
Saw someone else post these here not long ago.  I haven't tried myself though.  I'm curious about it for my split omni Studio Projects C4's too.

http://www.buddipole.com/lotewh.html

Here's my post about doing split omnis with the buddipole:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=174290.msg2155327#msg2155327

The HM30 shockmounts in the pics wont secure it, they just keep it balanced, I usually add velcro or gaff tape towards the center of the bar to secure it and reduce some of the bounce of the overhang.

Offline cjc1103

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • So much music, so little time!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:30:17 AM »
I have a Monfrotto triple mic bar i bought from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/503258-REG/Manfrotto_154B_154_Triple_Microphone_Holder.html
It's only 26" long. How far apart do you want your omnis? there's no shortage on ideas, I have used this bar with two Line Audio OM1 omni mics spaced 2 ft apart, works great. But the idea is to play around with the spacing and find something that works well with your mic setup. Which brings up another point, The mic bar with four (or more) mics attached is relatively heavy. Most mic stands tapers use are really lightstands, and can only take so much weight when extended before they start swaying back and forth when the wind blows, or a clueless loser bumps/holds on to/crashes into your stand. When your mics sway back and forth you get imaging problems. A guitar player can get a warbling tone by shaking his guitar at the end of a long note, so the sound source (guitar) changes position in relation to the mic. This is the opposite, the mic is changing position in relation to the sound source (speakers). Small movements will not be noticeable, but large movements can, especially if it's a quiet acoustic set. Gutbucket minimizes this with his rig by using the small DPA omnis at each end attached to an old TV antenna, all of which is fairly light. The rest of us who can't afford DPAs need another solution for a "normal" condensor omni mic. You could always put up two mic stands, one for each omni, but usually taper space is at a premium, and who wants to lug around two stands? I saw on taper a while back haul around a PA speaker stand with a mic adapter on top, that sucker never moved once you set it up! I was toying with the idea of having machine shop make a custom mic bar out of aluminum with lots of lightening holes, but I never figured out a good design. A flat slotted aluminum bar would bend. Perhaps the best idea would be to clamp a couple of short fiberglass antenna/rods to each end of the Manfrotto, which will be more rigid. Anyone else have any better ideas?
Chris
Chattanooga, TN

Offline Limit35

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:57 AM »

For my spread omni setup I think my current DIY rig is the best I'm going to get for 1-2m spread with Naiant X-Xs and card/hyper center, they are light and can be used on tent pole sections or telescopic extensions. To my ear they sound good over a meter apart, open and bassy, around 1.5 with for a center mix.  I noticed that even with small X-Xs, if I point them on axis the telescopic antennas will tend to twist in the heat. So the tent pole remedy is still very DIY with tightly wrapped tape and zip ties on a T-Bar. For CP-2 caps, which seem pretty directional to me, I think I would be fine with the Monfrotto bar's width using an Omni-Card or Omni-XY setup.

You make a good point about the 154's weight. On my Calumet stand, one kick to a leg and the top would be swaying until I stopped it. I like the idea of holes though, I can shed weight on aluminum tent poles by drilling out some of the mass. Thanks, I didn't think of that.

As far as two stands I tend to shy away from that. I'll setup by the board or low at stage lip/stage. I have a hard enough time keeping beer, feet, and hands off the gear to put another stand 3m+ away from me. I'd like too, but want to keep a low profile.

This is probably for another thread, but I have been experimenting with wide angled cards and stack hypers to try to get the same affect in an indoor setting. But it needs a lot post work to dial them in, not sure if its worth it yet.

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
If I were to run that wide of a spread on one stand...I'd really want to attach the stand to some kind of anchor in the ground...running any array that is wider than the spread of the stand runs a risk of toppling the stand and microphones...now Naiant XX omni's are very light...much beyond that is out of my comfort zone.

I've dabbled with wide spreads...I settled on Three stands, 12ft spread omni's and a single center cardioid...other than the chatty lighting crew...it turned out awesome...

https://archive.org/details/tauk2014-06-27.Avenson_Gefell

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »
If I were to run that wide of a spread on one stand...I'd really want to attach the stand to some kind of anchor in the ground...running any array that is wider than the spread of the stand runs a risk of toppling the stand and microphones.

I thought it was pretty standard procedure to always secure the stand to the floor in some way, regardless of mic configuration.  I don't go anywhere without sandbags to secure the stand against anybody that might bump into it.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com