Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Advice on DPA 4061

(1/16) > >>

u2_fly_2:
Hello all fellow tapers,

After 12 years with the same 3 different mic´s/batterboxes/recorders...all very good...

Sorry if some questions are obvious, yet better to "doublecheck" and be safe than sorry...

I´m looking at maybe getting DPA 4061-stereo mic´s and was wondering if you have photos of your taping rig´s and most important suggestions for which batterybox/digital recorder to go with it?

At the moment I´m using this taping rig "chain" (Very good "Stealth rig"):
(If possible I would like something as close to this rig to go with the DPA 4061´s)

AT 943 External Stereo Microphones >> SP-SPSB-10-80020 - Sound Professionals - Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery >> Olympus LS-10

As I have a R-26 myself this would be an option too, even though the LS-10 is ofcourse easier to "stealth" with.

1) Can I run the DPA 4061´s directly into the R-26 or would I benefit with/from a batterybox?

2) Can I run the DPA 4061´s >> 
SP-SPSB-10-80020 - Sound Professionals - Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery >> Olympus LS-10

Or is this impossible?

3) Can I get the DPA 4061´s modified as the AT 943´s...I mean in 1 stereo-cable?

If not too much hassle, photos of your taping rig´s with DPA 4061´s would be really appreciated + extended info/suggestions:

Many thanks for all info!
Appreciate your help!

E-Mail:

inconcertsitrust@yahoo.com

/ Danne

fandelive:
It's alot easier to get good results when stealthing with cards.

Omnis do work well in small venues, when the room is build for good acoustics, when the mix is mono and you can get as close as possible to a stack, when sound out of the speaker is top notch and people around you shut the fuck up.

It happens. 1% of the time.

I tape with both omnis and cards. Most of the time I prefer the cards source. Also, you better learn some EQ tricks if you want to start using omnis, because a raw stealth tape done with omnis needs alot more post production.

Ugly truth.

u2_fly_2:

--- Quote from: fandelive on March 17, 2019, 06:44:30 PM ---It's alot easier to get good results when stealthing with cards.

Omnis do work well in small venues, when the room is build for good acoustics, when the mix is mono and you can get as close as possible to a stack, when sound out of the speaker is top notch and people around you shut the fuck up.

I tape with both omnis and cards. Most of the time I prefer the cards source. Also, you better learn some EQ tricks if you want to start using omnis, because a raw stealth tape done with omnis needs alot more post production.

Ugly truth.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the input.

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: fandelive on March 17, 2019, 06:44:30 PM ---It's alot easier to get good results when stealthing with cards.

Ugly truth.

--- End quote ---
this to a large extent. there are directional caps the same size as the 406x series but none really have the same sound as the larger directional caps, seems they are thin on the bottom end, probably due to proximity effect. that said when the 4061s are in the right spot, they sound amazing. but the omni patterns is their achilles heel. best you can do is have some wingmen and maybe try to mount them on your chest to offer some resistance against people behind you.

if you want to hear the directional small caps listen to some 4099 recordings from dime. theres a few neil young and a marcus king among others

i really think the ideal setup would be a pair of 4099s and a pair of 4061s, or single 4061 even. 4 mics are still smaller than a pair of most others, and you could pull out the low end from the omni mic(s) with almost no crowd noise, and use it to fill in the clear stereo pull from the 4099s 

you can put any cable you want on the 4061s but if you want to run them straight from PIP, get the 3V 4063 version and you can run it directly from a edirol R07 or others. i like my d:vice>iphone setup but thats another $600. a good recorder is $200 anyway, and the d:vice+iphone always gets in the door at least

u2_fly_2:

--- Quote from: jerryfreak on March 17, 2019, 08:20:27 PM ---

Ugly truth.

--- End quote ---
this to a large extent. there are directional caps the same size as the 406x series but none really have the same sound as the larger directional caps, seems they are thin on the bottom end, probably due to proximity effect. that said when the 4061s are in the right spot, they sound amazing. but the omni patterns is their achilles heel. best you can do is have some wingmen and maybe try to mount them on your chest to offer some resistance against people behind you.

if you want to hear the directional small caps listen to some 4099 recordings from dime. theres a few neil young and a marcus king among others

i really think the ideal setup would be a pair of 4099s and a pair of 4061s, or single 4061 even. 4 mics are still smaller than a pair of most others, and you could pull out the low end from the omni mic(s) with almost no crowd noise, and use it to fill in the clear stereo pull from the 4099s 

you can put any cable you want on the 4061s but if you want to run them straight from PIP, get the 3V 4063 version and you can run it directly from a edirol R07 or others. i like my d:vice>iphone setup but thats another $600. a good recorder is $200 anyway, and the d:vice+iphone always gets in the door at least

--- End quote ---

Many thanks for the info!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version