Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-D  (Read 19292 times)

Offline emmy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sound Devices MixPre-D
« on: October 13, 2011, 10:09:46 AM »
Is anyone currently using this item for field recording?

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/mixpre-d.htm#

The only thing I'm concered about is the stated 10-18V external power. B&H claims (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764543-REG/Sound_Devices_MIXPRE_D_MixPre_D_Compact_Field_Mixer.html) it can do 5-18V.

Beyond that, it seems to have everything I could ever want, including the mic-level unbalanced output for my Nikon D7000!

I've used the Sound Devices MP-2 with the AKG 451eb (cardoid) with good results, but not much in depth testing.

Can anyone speak on AKG's reputation with the Sound Devices? since that is most likely what type of microphones I'll be pairing with this device.
ps - oh and by the way, I only have 1 ticket and like 5 posts b/c this is a new screen name. My old one was "eclark" but I had someone that was taking tickets from me like everyday and I didn't want to deal with it so I just signed up for a new name.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-D
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:11:57 AM »
I noticed that dc voltage range discrepancy a few weeks ago. SD's website says 10-18v but every single picture of the mixpre-d on their website clearly says 5-18v.

Anyone have an opinion on how this unit sounds? I love how much smaller it is than the usbpre2!

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
My MixPre takes 5-18V external. The only difference with the newer "D" version is the USB out, so it's likely the same. I have no experience with pairing with AKGs, but this is an awesome clean pre IMHO. Compact, and built like a rock.  It uses the same internals as their 7xx units.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
is it going to sound anything like an Oade W-mod UA5?
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »
Also has a digi out!  AES

My MixPre takes 5-18V external. The only difference with the newer "D" version is the USB out, so it's likely the same. I have no experience with pairing with AKGs, but this is an awesome clean pre IMHO. Compact, and built like a rock.  It uses the same internals as their 7xx units.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 > Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »

generally, but it uses input transformers where as the usbpre2 really is the same as the 788's preamps which are very very similar to the older siblings. Neither is a bad approach, just what tool do you need for a job.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:18:06 PM »
sorry, I'm actually the OP, but had a mix up with my two accounts, since I haven't been on the boards in a while...

anyways, I am attracted to this unit because of it's functionality. but I'm not quite sure about sound, especially mixed with the AKG 460/480 mics. I've used the 451eb> MP-2 indoors for pgroove and outdoors for disco biscuits (both at the masquerade in ATL), I prefer the indoor pgroove recording because it's more bass-y. the outdoor recording with the disco biscuits is really bright and sharp almost, the highs are almost too high to listen to. OTOH, I used the w-mod UA5 with the 451 outdoors, slightly larger venue (echo project in ATL) with amazing results! it's my favorite recording. perfect sounding.

so, for anyone who has experience with the MP-2 or mixpre-d or mixpre or ANY Sound Devices product (since it seems they all use some what the same internals), how do these devices sound, say, compared to a W-mod UA5?

is the MixPre-D good for small boomy venues, large outdoors venues, nature recording? what are it's high points, what are it's low points?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
I'll see if I can borrow hypnocracy's AKGs for a show on Monday or the 22nd. If so, I'll report back.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

kirk97132

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
sorry, I'm actually the OP, but had a mix up with my two accounts, since I haven't been on the boards in a while...

anyways, I am attracted to this unit because of it's functionality. but I'm not quite sure about sound, especially mixed with the AKG 460/480 mics. I've used the 451eb> MP-2 indoors for pgroove and outdoors for disco biscuits (both at the masquerade in ATL), I prefer the indoor pgroove recording because it's more bass-y. the outdoor recording with the disco biscuits is really bright and sharp almost, the highs are almost too high to listen to. OTOH, I used the w-mod UA5 with the 451 outdoors, slightly larger venue (echo project in ATL) with amazing results! it's my favorite recording. perfect sounding.

so, for anyone who has experience with the MP-2 or mixpre-d or mixpre or ANY Sound Devices product (since it seems they all use some what the same internals), how do these devices sound, say, compared to a W-mod UA5?

is the MixPre-D good for small boomy venues, large outdoors venues, nature recording? what are it's high points, what are it's low points?

I've run a Bmp2+ UA-5 an MP-2 and a USBPre2.  The Pre2 is more like a V3 and fairly transparent which depending on the mic could said to be bright.  while the MP-2 has that warmer transformer feel.  I actually prefered the UA-5 with my LD mics over the MP-2.  BUT I used them stage lip and never in an OTS situation.  I can remember hearing the modded UA-5's being called a poor mans V2 or V3 but I don't think that's quite accurate.  I also do not have any direct expereince with the Oade modded UA-5's.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »
Cool. I've heard a lot of Pre2 tapes and agree that it is very transparent and 'grace' like and I actually like its feature set a little better than than the v3.

I think the UA5 was coined a 'poor man's v2/3' more for it's funtionality rather than it's sound. Between the warm/P/T mods (I can't keep track of them all), it offered such a wide range of sounds that it's hard to pin it to the transparent 'grace' realm.

Definitely want to hear a few mixpre-d tapes and some comparisons to the original mp2/mixpre which has a very distinct sound. The only downside I am seeing to the pre-d is that it cannot be bus powered, so you can't use it as a headphone amp without an a/c adapter (unlike the pre-2). The idea of transformers for field use intrigues me, even if the pre-2 has slightly better specs, and it's small footprint is great.

kirk97132

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
I know that the spec sheet list the sizes but in reality I don't think the footprint of either is much difference.  Here are pix of my Pre2 and MP-2 with a DVD battery for comparison.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=139081.msg1817110#msg1817110
 I think the mix-D is similisr in size to the MP-2.  From what I have  gathered reading info, the D was an answer to the DSLR camera inputs.  Even if that had been out when I bought I was after the Pre2's ability to sync to an external Spdif signal.  Then there is the USB interface, they used a UBS-3 plug which is rather robust. I had issues with the mini usb jack on another piece of gear I owned, it didn't hold up to constant use and got so a jiggle would break the connection.  The only down side I personally have about the Pre2 is no internal battery.  Not a bigggie for me YMMV.  At this point I don't think I could get rid of any of the three preamps.  Each has features I want that the other does not when I use them with a DR-680 or two ;D.  It does make a great headphone amp with shiploads of power.  Not the quietest amp but it can get real loud.  The MP-2 works really well IMO with a bright mic like the AKG 451.  The Pre2 has done well for me with my large diaphragm mics and also with my Teac 120(Nak 300 clones) and well I like the V3 with any mic.  The Pre2 when paired with a bright mic like the 451 does have the ability to cut through the mud and pull crisp highs but remember I don't really do any section taping ever at large arenas or venues, rarely pull audience at bars or smaller clubs too.  So my expereinces are not what most people here do for recording.

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
generally, but it uses input transformers where as the usbpre2 really is the same as the 788's preamps which are very very similar to the older siblings. Neither is a bad approach, just what tool do you need for a job.

can you explain this please? what are input transformers? I'm not sure what a transformer is, and why it matters?

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »

can you explain this please? what are input transformers? I'm not sure what a transformer is, and why it matters?

the jist is that transformers aid in rejecting interference at the occasional cost of tonal balance or other color adjustments. For example, in my listening and learning experiences; some transformers roll off the extreme highs and lows (e.g. sub 100hz and above 16khz), might add harmonics in the low mid-range or upper bass (e.g a sensation of "warmth" in the low mid-range), or might produce a smooth "haze" texture across the soundstage. Some transformers are very clean with few faults, it's more based on what model they use. They are functionally useful when you are in a high/hostile RFI environment and/or using extreme cable distances and want to mitigate rogue noise. Someone else will probably have a better explanation.

So some general reading that is sort of related to the subject:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=118862.0 (first page is the meat of it, but the rest is interesting)
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144387.msg1863109#msg1863109 (page 4 is nice as well)
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:16:10 PM »
^^^Yep. In the case of SD products, the input transformers are Lundahl, so they're more or less transparent. For this app they're intended to provide a boost for long (up to 100') cable run.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline eclark

• Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
So some general reading that is sort of related to the subject:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=118862.0 (first page is the meat of it, but the rest is interesting)
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144387.msg1863109#msg1863109 (page 4 is nice as well)

Thanks for those links, page. Sometimes I think the Search bar at the top doesn't give very good results! I'll have to read through both of those threads later. Just for reference, does the MixPre-D use transformers, or no? I was a little confused when you said something about it before.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com