Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!  (Read 21441 times)

Offline stepeanut

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: New Church Audio Preamp - I'm the guinea pig!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm in.

E-mail sent.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »
OK, that's clearer... thanks. Looking forward to the next couple of weeks to receive it, then I have to go find a show to use it with!
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »
Wow, that's small & appropriately named!  ;D Good job Chris!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »
Looks like a nice little piece of technology, and for $200, it's still a bargain.   I'm gonna be good with my ugly battery box and/or 9100 for the time being.  :)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
So it is still going to be a stepped gain (instead of adjustable gain on the fly for making minor adjustments)?
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »
It adds the easily field-adjustable global stepped gain adjustment to the existing un-stepped independent channel-trimming gain pots.

That means you can calibrate and set your gains any way you like beforehand using a combination of those three controls, yet adds the ability to make quick and easy on-the-fly in 5-10dB stepped adjustments if necessary while recording, confidently, without even looking at it.  And doing so will not upset the channel balance.  It's an excellent configuration for the intended applications of this preamp.  Non-stepped but easily adjustable gain control is more at home on a larger preamp with different intended applications, and something I personally would not want on this preamp.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
Since I'll be receiving it (presumably) in the next week or so, it's time for the "proper usage" discussion.

Countryman B3 Omni (4.7K sensitivity modded) > CA-UGLY II > Line In > R-09HR. I usually record 24 bit/44.1.

Based on my scanning other threads, it looks like I should set the R-09HR at "unity gain" of 38-40, and set the preamp gain appropriately for the concert setting, then use the gain control on the R-09HR for minor adjustments if needed. My inclination would be to set it the preamp so that peaks never get past -10 or so, and then add the rest in post.

I had a different preamp, where it was recommended that I set the R-09HR at MAXIMUM gain and use the preamp to set the levels, so I'm a little confused. I trust the assembled experience of the experts here for the proper answer.

So here we go... all opinions are welcome!

AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »
Since I'll be receiving it (presumably) in the next week or so, it's time for the "proper usage" discussion.

Countryman B3 Omni (4.7K sensitivity modded) > CA-UGLY II > Line In > R-09HR. I usually record 24 bit/44.1.

Based on my scanning other threads, it looks like I should set the R-09HR at "unity gain" of 38-40, and set the preamp gain appropriately for the concert setting, then use the gain control on the R-09HR for minor adjustments if needed. My inclination would be to set it the preamp so that peaks never get past -10 or so, and then add the rest in post.

I had a different preamp, where it was recommended that I set the R-09HR at MAXIMUM gain and use the preamp to set the levels, so I'm a little confused. I trust the assembled experience of the experts here for the proper answer.

So here we go... all opinions are welcome!

Yes, this is the proper approach regardless of your gear. Set the recorder at unity (not maximum, that was shitty advice!), use the pre to get things dialed in, and make a nice tape. I have an Ugly and 2.2k B3s and they rock! I think you'll be pleased.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
It adds the easily field-adjustable global stepped gain adjustment to the existing un-stepped independent channel-trimming gain pots.

That means you can calibrate and set your gains any way you like beforehand using a combination of those three controls, yet adds the ability to make quick and easy on-the-fly in 5-10dB stepped adjustments if necessary while recording, confidently, without even looking at it.  And doing so will not upset the channel balance.  It's an excellent configuration for the intended applications of this preamp.  Non-stepped but easily adjustable gain control is more at home on a larger preamp with different intended applications, and something I personally would not want on this preamp.

This.

Stepped gain is much more practical in a stealth situation, which is this preamp's intended use.

Looking forward to receiving mine.
Stepeanut: "Unless something else turns up, I'd say you've made the pull of the tour."

Yousef: "That's kind of you to say, but it does feel like winning first prize in a turd-photographing contest."

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 05:02:01 PM »

This.

Stepped gain is much more practical in a stealth situation, which is this preamp's intended use.

Looking forward to receiving mine.

Interesting perspective.  I stealth a lot and would actually prefer an adjustable gain as opposed to stepped gain.  To each their own I guess.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »
I assume you are recording into the M10 listed in your signature, Cheesy.  Why not make the fine-grained adjustments you want via the smoothy variable input gain control knob on that recorder?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 05:21:55 PM »
For low-pro taping, the preference should actually be fixed, non-adjustable gain. Every knob or switch added to a device is simply another potential point of failure.

I understand that folks want flexibility for a variety of recording situations, but take a look at nbox/rmod users. Fixed gain seems to have worked out pretty well for them, provided their recorder can sufficiently handle a hot signal on the line input. The only difference I see here is that an nbox can only be used with microphones of a known sensitivity whereas a preamp with an 1/8" input could be used with microphones of varying sensitivity.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:24:23 PM by hi and lo »

Offline stepeanut

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
I assume you are recording into the M10 listed in your signature, Cheesy.  Why not make the fine-grained adjustments you want via the smoothy variable input gain control knob on that recorder?

Again, this.

It's difficult, in a stealth situation, to fine-tune a preamp and watch the levels on your M10 at the same time.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »

Again, this.

It's difficult, in a stealth situation, to fine-tune a preamp and watch the levels on your M10 at the same time.

That's because "stealth" and "fine-tune" really don't belong in the same sentence.

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
The CA-UGLY-II preamp came today - I haven't even had a chance to look at it, and won't be able to for several hours - expect a partial report later... partial, in that I won't be able to test it in any way until tomorrow.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com