Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help With Balcony Clamping  (Read 33368 times)

Offline skotdee

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Help With Balcony Clamping
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 06:32:25 PM »

If that is the Freebird, PM me, I tape from the balcony all the time.  I'll see if I have some pictures of my set up.

Yep, thats the bird. Good Eye! Jacksonville Florida represent. Play some skynyrd.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 06:45:56 PM »
As you've already noted, go with the SuperClamp stud terminating in a 3/8" tip, then add a 3/8 > 5/8 adapter.

The Posi-Lok has a 5/8"-male on one end, 5/8"-female on the other.  You'll screw the Posi-Lok 5/8"-female onto the superclamp stud + adapter (5/8" male termination).

Now you're left with a 5/8"-male thread, but the Bogen extension has a 5/8"-female stud end.  This is getting trickier.  :P  I haven't had to deal with all these adapters since mine's custom, but, I think this will do it, end-to-end (and there are probably alternative options, taboot):

SuperClamp >
standard stud 3/8"-male tip >
Bogen 3-8"-female | 5/8"-male adapter (K&M alternative) * >
jam nut (so you may align the Posi-Lok in the proper orientation) >
5/8"-female Posi-Lok | Posi-Lok 5/8"-male >
Atlas AD-5B 5/8"-female coupling barrel >
5/8"-male | 3/8"-female adapter >
3/8"-male Bogen double-ended 5/8"-male stud w/ 1/4" tip you can ignore (alternatively 3/8"-male threaded | 5/8"-male stud adapter >
Bogen extension w/ 5/8"-male stud & 3/8"-male threaded tip.

* I have at least 3 different lengths of 3/8"-female | 5/8"-male adapters:  short, medium, long.  The "medium" and "long" work just fine, but the "short" doesn't have enough threads to securely accommodate the jam nut + Posi-Lok.  I think the Bogen is the "medium" length.  The K&M might be the "long", but then again it might also be the short, or another "medium" variant...I'm not sure.  To be safe, and to avoid shipping on piddly stuff like adapters if I've linked to the "short" version, you may want to consider getting both just in case.

Then, assuming you have a 5/8"-female threaded mic mount / stereo bar, you have at least two options to attach your mics to this contraption:

<1>  3/8"-female | 5/8"-male adapter
or
<2>  Bogen Rapid Adapter (5/8"-female stud | 3/8"-female threaded tip) > 3/8"-female | 5/8"-male adapter

Personally, I like option <2> since it gives me quick-on and -off capability and it's what I normally use for running on my regular mic stand.

That'll work!  But maybe there's an easier way to do this...  ???

Allllll that said, and depending on the location / height of the PA stacks, you may not need the extension / Posi-Lok contraption.  A SuperClamp + Bogen right-angle extension arm or Bogen heavy-duty flex-arm (if you have full-body or LD mics, trust me...you want the heavy-duty version) might do the trick.  And remember:  safety cable!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 06:51:36 PM »

::)  Obligitory plug for a couple of my balcony tapes from the Freebird Live.

Split DPA 4023's:

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2005-03-02-dpa4023.flac16

Gefell m210 hanging from balcony center:

http://www.archive.org/details/dbt2005-03-02.mg210.flac16
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 07:43:29 PM »
As you've already noted, go with the SuperClamp stud terminating in a 3/8" tip, then add a 3/8 > 5/8 adapter.

The Posi-Lok has a 5/8"-male on one end, 5/8"-female on the other.  You'll screw the Posi-Lok 5/8"-female onto the superclamp stud + adapter (5/8" male termination).

Now you're left with a 5/8"-male thread, but the Bogen extension has a 5/8"-female stud end.  This is getting trickier.  :P  I haven't had to deal with all these adapters since mine's custom, but, I think this will do it, end-to-end (and there are probably alternative options, taboot):

SuperClamp >
standard stud 3/8"-male tip >
Bogen 3-8"-female | 5/8"-male adapter (K&M alternative) * >
jam nut (so you may align the Posi-Lok in the proper orientation) >
5/8"-female Posi-Lok | Posi-Lok 5/8"-male >
Atlas AD-5B 5/8"-female coupling barrel >
5/8"-male | 3/8"-female adapter >
3/8"-male Bogen double-ended 5/8"-male stud w/ 1/4" tip you can ignore (alternatively 3/8"-male threaded | 5/8"-male stud adapter >
Bogen extension w/ 5/8"-male stud & 3/8"-male threaded tip.

* I have at least 3 different lengths of 3/8"-female | 5/8"-male adapters:  short, medium, long.  The "medium" and "long" work just fine, but the "short" doesn't have enough threads to securely accommodate the jam nut + Posi-Lok.  I think the Bogen is the "medium" length.  The K&M might be the "long", but then again it might also be the short, or another "medium" variant...I'm not sure.  To be safe, and to avoid shipping on piddly stuff like adapters if I've linked to the "short" version, you may want to consider getting both just in case.

Then, assuming you have a 5/8"-female threaded mic mount / stereo bar, you have at least two options to attach your mics to this contraption:

<1>  3/8"-female | 5/8"-male adapter
or
<2>  Bogen Rapid Adapter (5/8"-female stud | 3/8"-female threaded tip) > 3/8"-female | 5/8"-male adapter

Personally, I like option <2> since it gives me quick-on and -off capability and it's what I normally use for running on my regular mic stand.

That'll work!  But maybe there's an easier way to do this...  ???

Allllll that said, and depending on the location / height of the PA stacks, you may not need the extension / Posi-Lok contraption.  A SuperClamp + Bogen right-angle extension arm or Bogen heavy-duty flex-arm (if you have full-body or LD mics, trust me...you want the heavy-duty version) might do the trick.  And remember:  safety cable!

Holy CRAP, just when I thought I had this figured out. So the extension 5/8 female stud end wont fit the 5/8 male thread end? OUCH. Definitely not enough time now to order the extra adapters and get them by this weekend's DBT show! LUCKILY, colin here has been in touch and he will have his balcony rig hanging so I can hopefully just clamp on and fly that way for this show. Hopefully after that I can get the adapters for your suggestion here or figure out another way to tackle it...

Oh yeah, I ordered the "on-stage" 3/8 to 5/8 adapters. Do you know if these are the short medium or long versions?

THANK YOU for all your input on this! I swear if I ever hit 50 posts I'll have some tix for you and the others that have helped me along this journey...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 07:56:36 PM by skotdee »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
So the extension 5/8 female stud end wont fit the 5/8 male thread end? OUCH.

Yeah, the Posi-Lok's 5/8"-male thread won't slot into the extension's 5/8"-female stud.  Even if it did, you'd hose the Posi-Lok's male threads cranking down the tightening screw on the extension.

I think the balcony's probably low enough you don't need the Posi-Lok.  And depending on how far back the balcony is, you may not need an extension, either.  Should be in good shape with your own gear, or clamping.

Oh yeah, I ordered the "on-stage" 3/8 to 5/8 adapters. Do you know if these are the short medium or long versions?

Uhmmmm...those are a version I didn't even consider.  Though I used to have one of those, I don't any longer - so I can't test.  I don't think they'll work, likely too short, but...never know.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Roland R-05

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 09:47:26 PM »
Yeah, the Posi-Lok's 5/8"-male thread won't slot into the extension's 5/8"-female stud.  Even if it did, you'd hose the Posi-Lok's male threads cranking down the tightening screw on the extension.

Gotcha. How about a Female Threaded 3/8" to Male 5/8" Stud Adapter however? Couldn't I theoretically use this and go:

Posi-Lok 5/8"-male >
5/8>3/8 Adapter>
Female Threaded 3/8" to Male 5/8" Stud Adapter>
Bogen extension 5/8"-female stud end

Seems like this may work and eliminate a few adapter steps...

I think the balcony's probably low enough you don't need the Posi-Lok.  And depending on how far back the balcony is, you may not need an extension, either.  Should be in good shape with your own gear, or clamping.

Actually you'd be surprised how much better the floor sounds than the balcony in this venue. Its just that the floor is WAY to tight and crowded to set up a stand, hence the need to set up shop up top.

Again, THANKS a ton Brian for your input. Please let me know if you think about that 3/8 thread to 5/8 stud adapter.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
Gotcha. How about a Female Threaded 3/8" to Male 5/8" Stud Adapter however? Couldn't I theoretically use this and go:

Posi-Lok 5/8"-male >
5/8>3/8 Adapter>
Female Threaded 3/8" to Male 5/8" Stud Adapter>
Bogen extension 5/8"-female stud end

Seems like this may work and eliminate a few adapter steps...

Sounds good to me.  I knew there was a better way!
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »
Just keep it simple. 

Superclamp > Extension pole (24" straight, articulating, or flex) > 5/8 right angle adapter > T-bar > mics

ADD: safety cable

That's all you need.  Just keep it simple.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 12:12:30 AM by spyder9 »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »
Just keep it simple.

Spot on feedback, Dan.  If you only need to raise / lower a short distance, simple's doable and preferable.  That's a slick articulating arm!
Roland R-05

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 05:20:15 AM »
Just keep it simple. 

Superclamp > Extension pole (24" straight, articulating, or flex) > 5/8 right angle adapter > T-bar > mics

ADD: safety cable

That's all you need.  Just keep it simple.

Thanks Dan, that helps! Again though, in this particular venue I'm gonna need to get down farther than that. If you look back at my original photo there's a large section of wood under the balcony rail Im trying to clear. It just sounds that much better downstairs in the Freebird.

I am curious though, your method is nice & simple but I'm not totally clear on the 5/8 right angle adapter. I can't seem to find one at B&H and from your photo It isnt totally clear what it looks like. I do suppose though I could just attach the tbar upside down to the end of the articulating arm with a standard rapid adapter and 3/8>5/8 and not need a right angle?

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 12:57:34 PM »
Here's some pictures of the parts I use.  I misspoke above about a right angle adapter.  Its actually just a straight 5/8 adapter that use.  The adapter maybe overkill for some.  I found it on eBay in the Cameras section.

As for additional length with an articulating arm, Bogen does make a longer arm that's 33 inches and has 1 extra joint to tighten down.  IMO, 2-3 feet is all you really need for clamping to the rail in almost any place.

Offline skotdee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 04:38:57 PM »
Thanks for the detailed pics, that helps clear it up! I see the straight 5/8 rapid adapter, but Im still wondering where to find the piece in your last photo attachment. Thats the piece you refer to as overkill, no? Wouldn't the rapid adapter just fit right on to the stud at the end of the extension?

Thanks again!

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 05:42:12 PM »
I bought the adapter from eBay seller: 2dreammaker

He or she sells a ton of camera/lighting accessories.  I looked up my feedback and I'm almost 99.9% sure I bought it from that seller.  The auction listing is no longer accessible because it just over 90 days.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:25:04 PM by spyder9 »

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »
spyder,

that articulated arm is pretty sweet. you have a part# for that bad boy?

edit: ...and that doohickey in the very last photo, too?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:20:52 PM by tim in jersey »

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »
Timmy,

Bogen 196 articulated arm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/354218-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_196AB_2_Articulated_Arm_2.html

I do not have a part # for the doohick.  I scored it from 2dreammaker (an ebay seller).  You'll have to contact him or her on where they found it.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com