Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: nbox platinum I  (Read 70856 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: nbox platinum ...it's here.
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
Just read in the B/S forum the platinum version sounds better than the standard nbox(+).  I run the + version and think this thing sounds great.  Anyone care to elaborate?
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
Just read in the B/S forum

Bullsh*t forum?

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2014, 01:36:32 PM »
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2014, 01:57:49 PM »
link to the B/S forum?
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
link to the B/S forum?

I was thinking b/s in another forum.   It's the yard sale here. 

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
don't own any Schoeps gear, but marking thread

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 10:48:10 AM »
jump in feet 1st, you have nothing but to look up :)
welcome!

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
Calling on all interested in upgrading to the New Nbox platinum, got a shipment of boards coming in this weekend.  PM me for details!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2014, 01:49:42 AM »
Calling on all interested in upgrading to the New Nbox platinum, got a shipment of boards coming in this weekend.  PM me for details!

I have always loved the sound of the NBox/NBox+, but steered away from it mainly because of the powering. But since that old school NBox powering is gone, I can definitely see myself trying an NBox Platinum out sometime, because if it can record THAT long, then it definitely caught my interest ;) I do around 3-5 four day festies every summer, so an NBox that can record for at least 50 hours, would really do me some use during the summer especially :) That would basically get me through the whole weekend with just that one rig. And of course id be running my VMS02ib at another stage!!! And my Schoeps VMS02ib outputs 20db of gain too, so I would already be used to using a fixed 20db gain preamp. Plus, I've used an Oade m148 in the past too, and those are a fixed 20db of gain too ;)

Can't frickin wait to hear more recordings with these :) Start pumping them out fellas!!! And Merin just got his brand spankin new Tinybox, so I'm curious how he'll like it compared to his Lemosax and the NBox+ he just ran a couple months back 8) Once I ran my KCY LB a couple years ago, I traded my old Lemosax for mint mk21s, and bought a second KCY LB June 2013. That's how much better I liked it over the Lemosax ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline analogue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2014, 08:03:29 PM »
Darn, i am new to posting on the forum so i got the quotes part wrong.  In response to the poster who saw flat waveforms from the Tinybox, I offer the following comment:

If you see flat consistent peaks vs. peaks that vary widely, then you are seeing the Tinybox reaching the maximum of its dynamic range.  I have never looked myself at the Tinybox waveforms but the N box is designed to have a lot of spare dynamic range.  I estimate that the N box uses only about 1/10 of its total dynamic range and thus does not overload as it appears the Tinybox is doing per your description.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:13:04 PM by analogue »

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline analogue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2014, 02:22:15 PM »
Jon's sound pressure level calculations are interesting but one must keep in mind several things:

The Schoeps MK4 capsule itself is rated to max 132 db sound pressure level.  Same with the Mk21 and the MK2S capsules.

Rock concerts are not going to be even close to the 149 dB sound pressure level Jon mentioned.  Your head hair will detect the sound vibrations at 129 dB sound pressure level, which would be an extremely loud concert.  If concerts were routinely above 132 db sound pressure level, we would be hearing tons of distorted Schoeps recordings.  But, this is not the case.  Thus, concerts are less than 132 dB sound pressure level.

The Tinybox specs say its maximum output voltage is +13dbV, which is about 6.3 volts peak to peak.  The Nbox platinum could put out about 15+ volts peak to peak.  At a gain of +18 dB, the Tinybox's maximum input voltage should be less than a volt, otherwise, the output voltage swing maximum would be exceeded.  I am sure Jon can comment about this, as he designs the Tinybox.  The Nbox platinum can take about 1.5+ volts input with a +20 dB gain.  If the gain is reduced, the Nbox could take even a larger input voltage.  Thus, the Nbox platinum has more headroom in addition to it being a pure class A low noise low distortion audiophile quality preamp.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
the Nbox platinum has more headroom in addition to it being a pure class A low noise low distortion audiophile quality preamp.

This one line says it all to me

Offline analogue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2014, 05:00:06 PM »
Not talking about rms.  Talking about peak to peak.  The Nbox platinum combines long battery life with headroom that is far above what is necessary.  I think anyone who records loud and quiet shows will agree that an amplifier is necessary.

You really do not want to drive an input with a 1000 ohm source impedance.  The Nbox platinum has a 100 ohm source impedance.  The low output impedance provides more stable cable and input drive.  One can also use the nbox to drive recorders with much lower input impedance than the sony M10 and we have a proven phantom powered class A audiophile quality circuit if one wants to run one of our boxes with balanced out into a professional deck having phantom power.  This circuit was proven by 6 years of professional stage split multitrack recordings in venues with extremely long cable runs.  They are available as special items by inquiry.

Offline analogue

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2014, 05:18:13 PM »
I doubt the M10 preamp is anything near as quiet as the Nbox.  The active cables operate on a current loop scheme with the JFET being a variable current source.  It is one thing to have a 1k source impedance drive a cable and an input and it is another to have a 1000 ohm source impedance drive an amplifier input 1/2 inch away.  BTW, the amplifier input impedance is greater than 10,000 ohms so your comparison is not valid.

Instead of endless debating, I think the Nbox recordings talk for themselves and anyone who is undecided should listen to recordings from both our boxes and your boxes.  I think they will agree with us that our boxes provide a more transparent lower noise solution, plus greatly enhanced battery life vs our older boxes.  Our boxes are pure class A audiophile design -- something you have not even claimed to offer.  They do not use electrolytic capacitors to couple the signals.  But, dont you use electolytics in your design?  For anyone reading this, do a search on the web about the use of electrolytic caps as coupling caps and see what the audio experts say.  Thus, let the recordings speak for themselves.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:21:00 PM by analogue »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com