Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: When is dual record on DR-100 mark IV clipping?  (Read 3210 times)

Offline Dustin Moore

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
When is dual record on DR-100 mark IV clipping?
« on: August 04, 2018, 08:56:23 AM »
I have my mark IV in the dual record mode where it is recording the regular ADC and the -12 dB ADC to file.

It is easy to see when the regular ADC is peaking since the onscreen VU will indicate this. However, I want to know when the -12 dB ADC is clipping so that I can set my gain accordingly. Does anybody know a way to see if the second ADC is clipping?

I suppose one way to do this would to connect a separate VU to the analog outs and then do some sort of calibration maneuver to have it display something useful.

For background, I am recording fireworks with a KSM137 set with the -25dB pad. I want to make it so that the FET in the KSM137 clips just below the point at which the -12 dB ADC clips so that I get the maximum dynamic range.

Thanks,

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: When is dual record on DR-100 mark IV clipping?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:47:37 AM »
I have my mark IV in the dual record mode where it is recording the regular ADC and the -12 dB ADC to file.

It is easy to see when the regular ADC is peaking since the onscreen VU will indicate this. However, I want to know when the -12 dB ADC is clipping so that I can set my gain accordingly. Does anybody know a way to see if the second ADC is clipping?

I suppose one way to do this would to connect a separate VU to the analog outs and then do some sort of calibration maneuver to have it display something useful.

For background, I am recording fireworks with a KSM137 set with the -25dB pad. I want to make it so that the FET in the KSM137 clips just below the point at which the -12 dB ADC clips so that I get the maximum dynamic range.

Thanks,

Hello, I'm quite sure that this is not the purpose of this feature. The Dual Level Recording (safety file recorded 12db lower) was designed to be a lifesaver only, a protection against unexpected volume spikes and accidental overload. Yes, you can use the Limiter, but this feature would not keep you 100% safe: distortion may occur when very loud signals are input even if the Limiter is activated. I don't know about fireworks recordings, but you can try the Level Control Function (Auto Level or Peak Reduction) though.
Take care.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:44:49 AM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Dustin Moore

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 01:07:24 PM »
Thanks for the comment. I am sure it is going to clip, I just want to get an idea of how much on the fly. I’ll figure out something.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 02:01:20 PM »
Thanks for the comment. I am sure it is going to clip, I just want to get an idea of how much on the fly. I’ll figure out something.

No problem!
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com