Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem  (Read 9892 times)

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Problem
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:53:35 PM »
Last night I went to a jazz show, had 3rd row center seats. Used CA -11's into an Ugly Battery Box into a Tascam DR -05. Brand new batteries, everything plugged in tight and where it should be. I got no signal. What did I do wrong or miss? Thanks.

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »
Sorry to hear of this issue, it's always frustrating when something like this happens. Did you test the gear before going out and get a signal? My only real guess here is something to do with the settings in the DR-05. It's been a while since I used one though so I'm really not sure what could have happened. You go no signal, as in complete silence on the entire recording?
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
Annoying when this happens at a live gig. I feel your :angry2:

Have you tried to replicate the problem at home & do you still get no signal?

So you're  down to a process of elimination.

Firstly, I'd remove the batt box & try the mics straight into the Tascam's mic input. First make sure Plug-in-power is switched on in the recording menu. (I think that's where the option is, but I don't have a DR05 to test) You won't get such a large dynamic range, but the mics should work fine for testing with speech.

Then, if there's still no joy, unplug your CA mics and try the Tascam with its own internal mics.

I think this Tascam auto-switches to internal mics when the external plug is removed, so there should be no settings to change & it should just work.

Surely you'll get something now...

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
Pain isn't the word. Just heartbreaking. Acoustic Alchemy is rarely taped and just a phenomenal live band. One of my favorites.  I'll check this out later and let you know.

Offline KISSFAN

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 09:53:25 AM »
the Ugly has an input jack and an output jack. is it possible that you plugged the connector wire that is supposed to go to the Tascam, into the input jack. And then plugged the mic wire that is supposed to go to the input of the Ugly, into the output jack?

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 11:28:41 AM »
No, I had them corrected properly. Should the mic power be turned on when using the battery box?

Offline shenny

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
No, I had them corrected properly. Should the mic power be turned on when using the battery box?
No, mic power should be off.  Have you tried recording anything since?

I have a DR-05, CA-11's, and a B2b.  I did exactly what Kissfan alluded to, while "recording" Robert Randolph.  Shit happens.

If you test recording while blasting your home or car system, or pretty much anything that makes an audible sound, and your mic's are working, the crossed connectors was probably the culprit.

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »
I double checked the connections and they were right.

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 12:41:58 PM »

The ugly I have only has one place to plug into.

Offline KISSFAN

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
then the only other thing I can think of is that your mic was placed into the correct input jack appearing to be correct, but maybe it is a tight fit and even though it looked and felt like it was in all the way, maybe it wasn't actually all the way in?
have you tried to record the television/stereo with this set up since that night? are you able to duplicate the issue? I mean I suppose it could be a bad connector wire, or maybe your input level on the recorder was at 0, but that should be able to be figured out quickly if you are trying to record in your living room.
Do you have any friends with a similar rig who can lend you theirs to troubleshoot?

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
When I get home today from work I'm going to try it with the stereo. Everything felt like it was in tight. The mic power was off.

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 03:25:25 PM »
any chance the deck was paused?  I'd assume you checked and had levels?   many decks while paused seem to be recording  (sadly had this happen)
but of course nothing is written to the card.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Jerseyguy57

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
Just tried it with the CA -11'S hooked up to the recorder and they work with mic power on and input of 75. Tried with the Ugly battery box and mic power off and got nothing.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 05:59:41 PM »
Have you tried swapping out the battery? I know it was a new one, but that seems like the likely culprit here.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2018, 08:26:39 AM »
Did you check the gain settings?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com