Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Compression?  (Read 6480 times)

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
Compression?
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:04:28 PM »
My spouse complained that live recordings are 'just too quiet, then too loud'.

It seemed to me that for her car/work listening, she wants compressed and normalized waves. So I took a recording and compressed it in Audacity with default settings, compressed based on peaks checked.
She loved it, so I shared with a few friends, who liked it more than the original.

On first listening, I didn't hear any substantial artifacts, though I need to take a listen on my reference AKG cans.

So, wondering about this in general, and whether others have used compression in their mastering workflow, either as a usual step or just for a show with crazy dynamic range.

I've attached screenshots of the original waves and then compressed version.

Thoughts?
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Compression?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:27:30 PM »
I would say I use compression in the vast majority of my recordings. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's rare that I don't add at least some compression. I'll also run a small amount of EQ.

Basically I do whatever I want to make the recording sound the best to MY ears. If it sounds good to others, cool, but I make my recordings for myself. I'm also open to sending RAW files to anyone that wants to do their own mastering, but I've never really had anyone take me up on that. I do think many regular folk prefer compression because it sounds more like official recordings.

From my experience I think it's best to sleep on (or at least take a break from) the final product. Frequently my ears get tired from working on a recording and I think it helps to take a break and come back later to confirm I'm happy with what I've done.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:33:07 PM »
^Totally.

checht, here's a thread on one way to bring up the quiet parts while not doing damage to transients and loud parts (the loud parts and transients are where the compression distortions are most egregious when standard compression is not set carefully)- https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137594.msg1786634#msg1786634

This is even easier to do these days now that many software EQ's offer a Dry/Wet control, which can provides the same "parallel" or "bottom up" compression effect if set correctly.  But I still think it's most useful to do it manually at first using the copied channel method to really hear and understand what's going on, then try to duplicate that without channel duplication just using the dry/wet control and other appropriate settings.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »

Funny you should mention it, I've been about to share the news about this new book coming out in February 2019, by Craig Anderton about Dynamic Processing!

https://www.halleonardbooks.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=269501

How to Use Dynamics Processing
 (This is a new product that is not yet available but may be pre-ordered.)
Series: Musician's Guide Home Recordg
Publisher: Hal Leonard Books
Format: Softcover
Author: Craig Anderton
Release Date: 02/13/2019
$14.99 (US)
Inventory #HL 00269501
ISBN: 9781540024978
UPC: 888680738754
Width: 7.25"
Length: 9.0"
144 pages
(Prices and availability subject to change without notice.)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »
She loved it, so I shared with a few friends, who liked it more than the original.

This isn't really surprising because it's well established that we tend to prefer music that's louder.  That's why it's essential to match loudness when comparing audio, and it's what led to the "Loudness Wars."
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »
I would say I use compression in the vast majority of my recordings. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it's rare that I don't add at least some compression. I'll also run a small amount of EQ.

Basically I do whatever I want to make the recording sound the best to MY ears. If it sounds good to others, cool, but I make my recordings for myself. I'm also open to sending RAW files to anyone that wants to do their own mastering, but I've never really had anyone take me up on that. I do think many regular folk prefer compression because it sounds more like official recordings.

From my experience I think it's best to sleep on (or at least take a break from) the final product. Frequently my ears get tired from working on a recording and I think it helps to take a break and come back later to confirm I'm happy with what I've done.

Basically this. I always limit my recordings. I prefer to leave the shows generally with the same dynamic range, but I always pull down the highest peaks by at least a few db

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 01:35:39 AM »
I prefer to leave the shows generally with the same dynamic range, but I always pull down the highest peaks by at least a few db

Same here. I usually eyeball the outlier peaks and set compression only to affect them, then do listening spot checks to see if the result sounds significantly different (it almost never does).

And I have at least on one occasion tried making a special "car mix" that was more heavily compressed, though I drive so seldom that I haven't bothered since.

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 03:12:53 AM »

I need to take this advice more often. I tend to get home from a show and think I can work on it for a bit. Ill upload it and listen to it later in my truck or elsewhere and realize I could have done something completely different. It doesnt happen much with two channel recordings, but the more channels I bring home the more I need a few listens to figure out what I want to do with it. Constant learning process i guess.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 12:11:33 PM »
I distribute my recordings 2 ways:

1) a 24bit filers which is simply the raw, albeit normalized files. This is for purists, or for pro-audio oriented audiophiles like me with the ability to tweak dynamics and eq upon playback.

2) a "mastered" 16bit file set. For this I use a number of AU or VST plugins, usually including a Neve style parametric EQ to adjust to taste, and a LA-2A style compressor to give about 2-3db of gain reduction and make-up gain.

I listen tot he 24bit files on my big stereo at home or on fancy headphones, but with earbuds or in the car the 16bit version is much better.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »

1) a 24bit filers which is simply the raw, albeit normalized files. This is for purists, or for pro-audio oriented audiophiles like me with the ability to tweak dynamics and eq upon playback.

2) a "mastered" 16bit file set. For this I use a number of AU or VST plugins, usually including a Neve style parametric EQ to adjust to taste, and a LA-2A style compressor to give about 2-3db of gain reduction and make-up gain.

I listen tot he 24bit files on my big stereo at home or on fancy headphones, but with earbuds or in the car the 16bit version is much better.
Very interesting.
I FINALLY have started distributing final output at 16 bit, but I still keep my 24-bit raw mixes. "Normalized" as you say; I build my mixes, with volume level changes only, to peak within -1.0 dB FS, before I do any dynamic processing on the final output.
I name those files like
BandName2018-12-05-RAW2448.WAV

Once I process those files, I output the result named like
BandName2018-12-05-LIM1648 or maybe GLIM1648 if I add gain.

If I make different versions I tag it on the end after the depth/rate so I can tell them apart when I'm tracking.
BandName2018-12-05-GLIM1648+2-3.WAV (+2 gain, -3 limiter threshold)
BandName2018-12-05-GLIM1648+3-4.WAV (+3 gain, -4 lim thresh)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
Really appreciate all the useful input. Spending a chunk of time reading the thread on parallel compression, seems just right for my purposes.

In accordance with Gutbucket's advice, I'll do some manual workflows to get a sense of parameters and their effect, then likely move to using a plug in.

~Chris
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »

I like this approach.  Best of both worlds, not overly complicated.

"the ability to tweak dynamics and eq upon playback" is what really makes the difference.. even for audiophiles who don't want to admit it (which is generally not the taper-audiophiles)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »

I like this approach.  Best of both worlds, not overly complicated.

"the ability to tweak dynamics and eq upon playback" is what really makes the difference.. even for audiophiles who don't want to admit it (which is generally not the taper-audiophiles)

Yeah. I don't understand the audiophile purist approach of shunning eq or dynamic processing on playback. I use Audirvana plus (https://audirvana.com) which allows for all kinds of upsampling in PCM and DSD, and allows for 4 AU plugins. I tend to load up

1. A parametric eq (https://ddmf.eu/6144-equalizer-plugin/),
2. A comp/limiter (https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/trwhite2a/?pkey=t-racks-single-white-2a),
3. A "tube"/ "transformer" saturation plugin (https://www.soundtoys.com/product/decapitator/) and
4. A just in case brick-wall mastering limiter (https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone/features-and-comparison/maximizer.html).

I don't always use them all, but having the ability to adjust eq, m/s, dynamic range and saturation really can bring out the best in all kinds of recordings, and I can change on the fly depending to which transducer I'm using (speakers, headphones).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 08:38:20 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
Tried it and didn't like the results. Ears told me that some subtlety was lost by compressing. I don't mind quiet/loud that's how the show was played and that's what I want to hear.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
Tried it and didn't like the results. Ears told me that some subtlety was lost by compressing. I don't mind quiet/loud that's how the show was played and that's what I want to hear.

Well, "compressing" and "compressing well" aren't necessarily the same thing  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.19 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com