Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: "Beats By Dr Dre" Headphones..?  (Read 40626 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
"Beats By Dr Dre" Headphones..?
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
I am increasingly amused by the wizardry of urban marketing that is these "Beats by Dr. Dre" headphones.  Basically every high school kid I see on the subway now, and a bunch of the adults, are wearing these. 

Generally I suspect that a headphone that is branded Monster (who I didn't think even make headphones) and slaps "Dr Dre" on it is going to be a) bass-heavy and b) junk.  Anyone have any different impression?  They are charging pretty serious coin for the "studio" line - http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B3808&cat=1 - $349, which is a hell of a lot more than my ATH-M50s and several other good manufacturers' phones. 

Wow, even the crappier on-ear ones they sell are $200.  http://www.beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5505&cat=1  No wonder these things are being counterfeited left and right.  If they actually are any good, I wonder who Monster has making/designing them?

Anyway, I just find the whole thing funny.  Maybe I should buy a bunch of M50s or HD280s, paint them red, and call them "Beatz by Lil Wayne" become a millionaire.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: "Beats By Dr Dre" Headphones..?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »
At least half of the students I see here at ASU who are listening to their iPods have "Beats" headphones on.  I can only imagine the sales of his headphones for students here alone.

The shear number of people on longboards with full-sized "Beats" (over-the-head) is mind boggling. 

Dudes are bro'ing out like crazy around here. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »
Watch any of the really popular music reality shows today (i.e. American Idol) and they're showing the Beats by Dre stuff everywhere.   Good marketing to say the least.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
"A fool and his money..."

In the same vein, the HP Audio PC... 

T
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:19:43 PM by twatts and not wearing pants »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
From what I've read in reviews they sound remarkably well.

...that being said, I'm sure there are headphones priced equally that sound either as good or better (and you won't look like a chump).

I personally wouldn't buy headphones without being able to try them out or return them if I don't like them. Trying at the same time is ideal though.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 02:02:17 PM »
Crazy.  Cheaper to buy the Sony 7506!

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
Reason enough not to buy them:

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

...that being said, I'm sure there are headphones priced equally that sound either as good or better (and you won't look like a chump).

I personally wouldn't buy headphones without being able to try them out or return them if I don't like them. Trying at the same time is ideal though.

Last week, I A-vs-B'ed their $120 or so priced pair In Ear Monitors against a similar priced pair of Shures and Ultraears (can't remember the models that I checked).  The Beats By Dre lost my personal bake-off quite convincingly.  The low end was ultra loose and mooshy and the high end wasn't all that crisp.  I thought they sounded pretty crappy to be honest.  Can't speak to the more expensive models.  I bought the Shures (SE215) for $100...great balanced sound and real nice fit.  The kicker for me for these over the Ultraears is that the Shures have a higher gauge cable and a right angle jack.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:28:29 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Myco

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 02:51:16 PM »
I think it's a perfect plan if you ask me. The hip-hop, inner-city crowd, and wannabe white suburbanites that they are marketing to are lemmings. Frankly, it's marketing genious. I agree with the previous post that if you went out and marketed these using Lil Wayne or Jay Z you'd have even better sales. The trick is not only do they need a big rap name brand on them, they need to sound crappy and bass heavy because that's how the hip-hop music is produced nowadays. Fuzzed out, auto-tune bullshit overlaid on a computer generated, simplistic beat that even a cracked out, droopy-pants'd, wannabe gangbanger can bob his head to, it's the formula for commercial success today.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 03:49:14 PM »

awesome-those cans will look sweet in this year's parade! I want a pair of those-mine are the same model, but red and black (comp'd to me as business swag).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:52:33 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Myco

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

awesome-those cans will look sweet in this year's parade! I want a pair of those-mine are the same model, but red and black (comp'd to me as business swag).

I could put a couple of turds on the ends of a stick, then paint them purple and gold and you'd have the exact same thing, only cheaper.  ;D
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:03 PM »

Last week, I A-vs-B'ed their $120 or so priced pair In Ear Monitors against a similar priced pair of Shures and Ultraears (can't remember the models that I checked).  The Beats By Dre lost my personal bake-off quite convincingly.  The low end was ultra loose and mooshy and the high end wasn't all that crisp.  I thought they sounded pretty crappy to be honest.  Can't speak to the more expensive models.  I bought the Shures (SE215) for $100...great balanced sound and real nice fit.  The kicker for me for these over the Ultraears is that the Shures have a higher gauge cable and a right angle jack.

I've heard these remarks as well.

As for the reviews, I think someone's shilling.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:45 AM »
So that's what those are. I've seen many people wearing them on the bus or walking around but never knew what they were. It's kinda weird to see everyone switch from the apple white earbuds to these bright red things in a matter of a few weeks.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 01:01:09 AM »
$349?!!!! I'll take Senn HD650s or AKG 701's any day of the week over these giant pile 'o marketing....

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »
As a headphone dude, I immediately wrote them off for several reasons:

1.  Way over-priced
2.  These things are the equivalent to "man hands" on a woman   :o
3.  I don't believe the positive reviews...seriously, Monster cables made this pos?   

I bet my sony 7506's run circles around them.   It's amusing to watch all the garbage cans people wear on the train when I'm jamming out to my shure se530's.  There's no way those cans are providing any noise blocking/canceling at all on our trains and subways.  Any TS NY'er can testify how loud it can get underground.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com