Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nagra LB  (Read 21122 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Nagra LB
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 05:07:20 PM »
As a funny addition I was looking at a bunch of the gear/field pics on the Aaton site.

744 love!

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 05:12:58 AM »
While the Nagra VI is impressive I can't see the LB making a huge dent in the market for sub $2500 recorders.  SD has such a huge lead in the marketplace already and the LB does not appear to offer any gotta have features that the 7xx boxes don't.

Oh yes is does, it has several unique features which SD don't.

SD are excellent recordes - so are Nagra - the LB is is an alternative.  The worst thing for any company is not having any competition, competition is good for the product, the companies and the end users.

I like the Nagra VI but it looks rather dated when compared to the similar priced Zaxcom boxes.  The Aaton Cantar x2 is a bad ass box but is $5k or more than the Nagra or Zaxcom boxes.

The Nagra VI is superb; personally I would not touch Zaxcom with a bargepole, I just don't trust them.

Agreed about the Cantar, though - but the price!!!

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 02:52:27 PM »
While the Nagra VI is impressive I can't see the LB making a huge dent in the market for sub $2500 recorders.  SD has such a huge lead in the marketplace already and the LB does not appear to offer any gotta have features that the 7xx boxes don't.

Oh yes is does, it has several unique features which SD don't.

SD are excellent recordes - so are Nagra - the LB is is an alternative.  The worst thing for any company is not having any competition, competition is good for the product, the companies and the end users.

You obviously have quite a bit more experience with the Nagra's.  What do you see as the unique features that make the LB standout not just against the SD boxes but against their competitors in that price range?   I dig my 744t but its not the end all be all for me.  Personally I am not a fan of the pre amps in the unit at all.  Hence the interest in the Deva Fusion.

I like the Nagra VI but it looks rather dated when compared to the similar priced Zaxcom boxes.  The Aaton Cantar x2 is a bad ass box but is $5k or more than the Nagra or Zaxcom boxes.

The Nagra VI is superb; personally I would not touch Zaxcom with a bargepole, I just don't trust them.

Agreed about the Cantar, though - but the price!!!

WOW!  First i've really heard of Zaxcom hateraid.  I've been working with a company to try and get a demo unit of one of the Deva Fusion boxes for a few days.  What concerns do you have with the Zaxcom boxes?    We've got a fellow Team Texas member running the Deva 5.8 (came from the Deva IV) and i've heard nothing but praise of the units. 

The Cantar is real cool but for $16k it isn't real suited to the gear sluttiness of this group of tapers.   ;D

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 03:29:10 PM »
A couple of the unique things about the LB are the double screens for "over the shoulder" and "on the table" operation and integrated bluetooth for sending recordings back to base.

I will get my hands on one in a few weeks time for a proper review and will give it a full and honest review as I did with the Nagra VI.  Anything I don't like I will discuss with the manufacturers (as I did with the VI and they changed with firmware updates).

After using the Nagra VI and they fixed my query I just had to buy one it was so good.

SD stuff I do like a lot, though I do have a few reservations on the 788T (heat and fiddly controls mainly).

Zaxcom I respect for being the first HD recorder and they make some good stuff.  But I don't like their attitude - I won't go into chapter and verse, but I have met the man from Zaxcom and know several users.  I'm not saying they are bad, just that there are certain things I don't like and reasons I would not buy one.

The Cantar is great, just it's fat too expensive for me - the Nagra VI pushed me to the limit.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2008, 09:55:34 AM »
What are the monitoring options on these 'serious' multitrack machines?  As I've said before my chief beef with the humble (relatively!) R-44 is lack of monitoring level and pan controls per track during recording (and no pan when playing back) - does the Nagra LB have those features?  Or is fully controlled monitoring generally seen as something not required in the field?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
What are the monitoring options on these 'serious' multitrack machines?  As I've said before my chief beef with the humble (relatively!) R-44 is lack of monitoring level and pan controls per track during recording (and no pan when playing back) - does the Nagra LB have those features?  Or is fully controlled monitoring generally seen as something not required in the field?

The Nagra LB is a stereo machine, so this does not apply.

Ths Nagra VI is a 6-track machine.  Monitoring can be switched on or off for each channel and each channel panned left, centre or right.  There are also two MS maxtrixes that an be switched into the monitoring chain.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »
Monitoring can be switched on or off for each channel and each channel panned left, centre or right.
Hmmm. That really does surprise me when paying this kind of money.  Thanks for the info.

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »
Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 08:52:58 AM »

John, I think I read a post of yours on gearslutz re: the LB and you mentioned that there was supposed to be a version of the LB coming out with a lithium rechargeable instead of the AAs (like the VI) and without the top LCD (for table top operation), in addition to some other differences.  Any update on when/if this version would be released? 

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 08:56:04 AM »

John, I think I read a post of yours on gearslutz re: the LB and you mentioned that there was supposed to be a version of the LB coming out with a lithium rechargeable instead of the AAs (like the VI) and without the top LCD (for table top operation), in addition to some other differences.  Any update on when/if this version would be released?

The rechargeable pack is not, as I understand, delivered with the LB.  It's an optional extra.

From my understanding it should be available now.  Just give Nagra a shout.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »
The rechargeable pack is not, as I understand, delivered with the LB.  It's an optional extra.

From my understanding it should be available now.  Just give Nagra a shout.

Cool, thanks.  No word on the different version of the LB though (without the top face LCD/controls, etc.)?

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 02:58:54 PM »
No word on the different version of the LB though (without the top face LCD/controls, etc.)?

Not that I know of.

Though I did hear that Nagra will be doing a stereo mic. pre. with Nagra VI quality amplifiers for the Nagra VI and I have heard that there will be a version of this with a built-in recorder - maybe this will be instead of the modified LB?

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »
Not that I know of.

K, thanks for the info, I've always wanted to try out the LB.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 06:33:46 AM »
Not that I know of.

K, thanks for the info, I've always wanted to try out the LB.

I have an LB with me now, I'm doing a review for Sound On Sound.  It's a very nice machine.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 12:17:39 PM »
I have an LB with me now, I'm doing a review for Sound On Sound.  It's a very nice machine.

Cool, looking forward to reading your review.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.109 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com