Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shooting concert vids with Filmic Pro app  (Read 9666 times)

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Shooting concert vids with Filmic Pro app
« on: February 21, 2018, 02:06:03 AM »
So I recently heard about the Filmic Pro app.  The general consensus seems to be that it's a really great app and allows you to shoot much better video than using the standard app that comes with most smartphones.  Not surprisingly, there are several tutorial videos available on Youtube.  However, I can't find a tutorial that talks about filming concerts with the Filmic Pro app.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

And just in case anyone is wondering ... Yes - I'd much rather use a real video camera to film shows.  But sometimes it just isn't possible.  But smartphones are no problem at probably 95% of the shows these days.  But my experience using an iPhone to film a show has been rather hit or miss.  So I'm really curious how much of a difference the the Filmic Pro app makes.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:39:38 PM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: Shooting concert vids with Filmic Pro app
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
Looks interesting but would you actually use any of those features while shooting a concert?
Seems like most can be done in post with fcp if you wanted.
The big plus it seems would be the upgrade in Mbps, I don't think the iPhone does 50 on its own
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline guitard

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:43:53 PM »
would you actually use any of those features while shooting a concert?

I'd definitely use the exposure control to adjust on the fly.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 12:43:20 AM »
Is this iPhone only? I'm not seeing it in the Google marketplace.
 :shrug:

Offline guitard

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's iPhone only.

Coincidentally, I used it for the first time two nights ago under some fairly difficult lighting conditions (lots of flashing lights) after getting shutdown with my regular camera.  It was completely spur of the moment, so I didn't have a chance to even think about trying to do something with the settings.  One thing I really like is that you can zoom in and out by sliding one finger up or down on the right edge of the screen where a slider bar is located.  After doing that a few times, I didn't even need to look closely at the camera to work the zoom - I just slid my finger up and down on the screen working the slider bar.  And you can easily control the speed of the zoom that way also.

Here's a short example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTi5E3XQio
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:20:16 AM by guitard »

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:39:37 AM »

I'm pretty sure it's iPhone only.

Coincidentally, I used it for the first time two nights ago under some fairly difficult lighting conditions (lots of flashing lights) after getting shutdown with my regular camera.  It was completely spur of the moment, so I didn't have a chance to even think about trying to do something with the settings.  One thing I really like is that you can zoom in and out by sliding one finger up or down on the right edge of the screen where a slider bar is located.  After doing that a few times, I didn't even need to look closely at the camera to work the zoom - I just slid my finger up and down on the screen working the slider bar.  And you can easily control the speed of the zoom that way also.

Here's a short example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mTi5E3XQio

2 Comments.

1. That Winery Dogs looked great ... and Richie Kotzen is becoming more and more one of my favorites. Very impressive and fairly smooth looking zooms.
2. Your YT upload of Robin Trower is BY FAR my favorite non-Tull video on all of YouTube. It's absolutely gorgeous.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com