Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Improved PAS technique - better imaging with good clarity  (Read 44811 times)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
I totally forgot about the Mic Tools app! Yes, the performer's angle measurement tool is great! Just used it for the first time a few weeks ago.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline MIQ

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
Thanks Ultfris101!

We just added that functionality to the Stereo Mic Tools App in the latest release.     ;D

-Miq

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Thanks Ultfris101!

We just added that functionality to the Stereo Mic Tools App in the latest release.     ;D

-Miq

Any consideration for an Android version?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
Sorry Voltronic coding for iOS is enough fun for us.

-Miq

adrianf74

Sorry Voltronic coding for iOS is enough fun for us.

-Miq

Android gets no love.  Have no Apple products in my household and am not about to start now.  I'll just stick to the table as a graphic on my phone and the compass -  does the job perfectly.  Now if only my SGC clips played nicely with my couplings, I'd be happy.

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
Hi adrianf,

That sounds like a solid way of doing it. We are just happy that more people are applying the Stereo Recording Angle approach to setting up their mics. As with most stuff, there are lots of ways to get there. 

Miq

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Royal we?  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MIQ

• Taperssection Regular
    • Stereo Mic Tools
Royal we?  ;)

:D
I always say "we" when I write about the app because there are two of us working on it.  My buddy Rob writes all the code.  I should realize that's not apparent.  :facepalm:

Rob and I are happy people are applying the concepts regardless of the process they use.  Our app just pulls together a few tools in one place to make it a little more streamlined.

Miq

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
As always Gutbucket, great job on the write up & thanks for making me open my eyes to different techniques. I ran my AKG's DINa & my Telefunkens PAS last night on the same stand, I'm converted now. The DINa is a fine recording but when I switch to the PAS I can hear less room, better impact & the same soundstage without the extra "ambiance" of the room. It's an eye opening experience & as you stated in one of your threads regarding this subject, why get a great imaging recording of room reverb? PAS still gave me great imaging with better impact, thanks! As a side note, I can't believe how much more information there is on this site vs when this place was in its infancy, kudos to all!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Gutbucket

Hey thanks, Carl.  And thanks for posting here with your real-word feedback.

Of course I really want it all, including good ambient/reverberant imaging too!  It's just that, that stuff is just further down the list of what's most important and this helps shuffle the priorities around.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline huskerdu

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
This is awesome...thanks!
"The main difference between a singer/songwriter and a puppy is that eventually a puppy will quit whining." - Jason Ringenberg

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Any advice on running Nak CP-4s PAS? What spacing should be used?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Any advice on running Nak CP-4s PAS? What spacing should be used?
The spacing used between capsules is determined by the angle required to PAS (point at the stacks or as close as possible) also the nice thing is that even if your mic bar isn't wide enough to achieve the desired angle you will still produce good results. All of this new found knowledge has me on a buying spree, I now have three new stereo bars in different widths to allow me to get the wide spacing preferred with the angles that PAS requires. Not to thread jack but look at the thread "New Rode stereo bar"
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
So you're saying PAS spacing is same for shotguns as it is for cardiods?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline Gutbucket

Here's the conceptual aspect of it-

The more directional the microphone's pickup pattern is, the less spacing is required for wide PAS angles.  As the PAS angle between microphones grows smaller, differences in suggested spacing also grow smaller.  At the limit with both microphones facing directly ahead (no angle between them) the spacing is the same regardless of pickup pattern.

In practical terms, the difference in suggested spacing for cardioids and for supercardioids is pretty minor.

Shotguns don't have smooth well-behaved polar patterns, and don't work very well as pairs in terms of stereo imaging.  Their pattern irregularities introduce complications which are more significant than these minor differences in spacing.  In general the same conceptual aspect applies though- if the PAS angle is narrow, space them more widely.  The values on the table are likely to be as good a starting point for a pair of shotguns as any.

I might use a shotgun from far back outside, but then I'd probably use just one of them pointing directly at the stage, placed in the center and mixed with a pair of widely spaced omnis.  The pattern irregularity would then be less of an issue and the imaging wouldn't be based solely on the angle/spacing relationship between a pair of shotguns.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com