Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 163661 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #465 on: January 26, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
Today I learned the "repair" function on the R44!! Crisis averted!

Page 56, for future reference: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/R-44E_e02_W.pdf

Thanks!  I thought I'd give it a try, but when I tried to find "#6 - Repair", it wasn't there to select.  ???

I went back and read page 56 more closely, and was told WHY...

“#6 - Repair” is displayed only when the R-44 detects a damaged song.

Yeah, I didn't have any bad files right now, so I didn't get the #6 option.  That makes sense.

Good find detroit lightning, I owe you one.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #466 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »

Page 56, for future reference: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/R-44E_e02_W.pdf

Thanks!  I thought I'd give it a try, but when I tried to find "#6 - Repair", it wasn't there to select.  ???

Yeah, I didn't have any bad files right now, so I didn't get the #6 option.  That makes sense.

:cheers:

The corrupted files would play in the VLC player, and there's a way to convert them in that - but just doing it in the deck feels like the best bet. Anyway, super happy that all wasn't lost last night!

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #467 on: January 26, 2019, 04:27:14 PM »

:cheers:

The corrupted files would play in the VLC player, and there's a way to convert them in that - but just doing it in the deck feels like the best bet. Anyway, super happy that all wasn't lost last night!

Good that there's a way to repair a file when you're out in the field, away from a computer.  Niiiice  :coolguy:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2019, 08:29:33 AM »
That function re-writes a corrupt or missing file header.  The original R-09 also had it (not sure of their later recorders) and after moving on to other machines I kept one in the trunk of my car for years just for that function.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Elguapo511

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #469 on: January 31, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »
Hi All,

If the levels are all visually balanced, but, for example, channels 1,2 knobs are cranked, and 3,4 knobbs are low, its not all good, right?

I went to see Garaj Majal and brought two stage omni's and got a board feed.  Everything sounded alright while monitoring live, but the file visually looks terrible.

The sound guy was working with me at the start, but then dropped my level a bit low when I wasnt paying attention.

S0o0o0o....  Whats the proper way to initiate a signal from the soundboard.  Usually, I though line out signals were standard and easy to accept.

I think I am ready for the Brick Walling portion of my R-44 Tutorial :banging head:.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #470 on: February 19, 2019, 10:42:00 AM »
Hi All,

If the levels are all visually balanced, but, for example, channels 1,2 knobs are cranked, and 3,4 knobbs are low, its not all good, right?

Depends entirely on the level of the input signals.  If one pair is hotter than the other, input gain on the recorder for that channel pair will need to be lower to achieve a similar recording level as the other pair.

In general, a SBD feed will often be line level and thus considerably hotter than a microphone-level signal.  So if you had AUD microphones running into ch 1&2 and SBD into 3&4, it would be quite typical to need more input gain for ch's 1&2 and considerably less for ch's 3&4.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #471 on: February 20, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
its also possible that you had the plug in power on for the SBD line channels, which I've accidentally done. it usually messes up stuff like that.
if the the board feed was brick walled and the stage omnis were OK, that could have been the thing.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2019, 01:12:07 AM »
its also possible that you had the plug in power on for the SBD line channels, which I've accidentally done. it usually messes up stuff like that.
if the the board feed was brick walled and the stage omnis were OK, that could have been the thing.

Plug in power?  Do you mean I had the phantom power switch on for those two channels?

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #473 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »

Plug in power?  Do you mean I had the phantom power switch on for those two channels?

Yes! It is possible that that happened.
I have a post on it about 3 pages back, it messed up a lot of my synching before I figured it out. I had the p48 on in channels 1 & 2 and then used them for the digital in while synched to another R44. It went wacky in a number of ways and I had to turn literally everything off and on again before it was back to normal. So that's just one possibility.

Also, sometimes when a feed is hot I have a set of knobs all the way to the lowest setting and that the "just right" setting.

If that helps.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #474 on: May 01, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »
Something that I just found out: The R-44 evidently continues to draw a small amount of current through its external DC input socket even when the recorder is switched off.

I inadvertently left a DVD battery connected to one of my R-44s for about six weeks, and I just now discovered that the battery had been drained--unlike what happens when I disconnect it and leave it on the shelf for a similar length of time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:14:26 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #475 on: May 02, 2019, 09:07:10 AM »
Once all my DVD batteries grew long in the tooth I switched to the Tallentcell brand battery for external powering of my recorders including the R-44.  I've been very pleased with its performance and recommend it.  It features an on/off rocker switch to confirm that off is off and on is on. Has metering similar to DVD batteries, 12VDC, 9VDC, and 5V USB ports, and is available in various capacities.

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #476 on: July 29, 2019, 05:11:32 PM »
Overload or peaking?

Sometimes when I get a hot signal the track number on the screen gets back lit.  Seems like it means the track is overloading.
If that is the case.  What does the zero looking icon []  at the end of each tracks level meter mean?

Is one brick walling?

Cant quite find the former in the manual.

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #477 on: July 29, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
Overload or peaking?

Sometimes when I get a hot signal the track number on the screen gets back lit.  Seems like it means the track is overloading.
If that is the case.  What does the zero looking icon []  at the end of each tracks level meter mean?

Is one brick walling?

Alrighty gues I found it.  They are both clip indicators.

I guess I am wondering now why there are two indicators for clipping?  Has something to do with dBFS?

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #478 on: August 03, 2019, 12:56:57 PM »
Overload or peaking?

Is one brick walling?

Alrighty gues I found it.  They are both clip indicators.

I guess I am wondering now why there are two indicators for clipping?  Has something to do with dBFS?

The back lit part is analog clipping and the mark at the end of the scale is digital clipping. It is kind of confusing. The analog part is not dBFS (if I remember correctly it comes on 3db before actual clipping) but the meter and the digital clip indicator are.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline Elguapo511

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #479 on: August 19, 2019, 01:39:14 PM »
hey thanks @cybergaloot

Next inquiry.... MS micing (mid side microphnes.

The manual says:  "You can adjust the stereo dispersion during recording or playback. This case is limited to MS mics that can directly output the mid and side signals. Connect the mid-signal to CH1 (CH3) and the side signal to CH2 (CH4)."

I am a bit confused by the last sentence.  Are they referring to a MD mic that has two outputs?  Or are they referring to the outputs of two mics in a MS configuration? One uni and one bi-directional.   or both.

I am trying to squeeze another channel out of this recorder. 
If I use a bi directional mic.  and flip the phase, will i sort of have another channel?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com