Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MP-2 > UA-5?  (Read 10767 times)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
MP-2 > UA-5?
« on: November 20, 2003, 05:52:31 AM »
So I picked up John J.'s MP-2 and am gonna try running it in front of my p-mod UA-5 & then do a separate comparison between the two (I know, one has an AD, yadda yadda).  Has anyone here ever tried an MP-2 in front of a UA-5?  I suspect it'll sound much different than when we went V2>UA-5.  The V2 was so transparent that I hardly noticed a difference, but I suspect the MP-2 will 'warm' the sound up a good bit.  Comments/thoughts?

thanks,
Drew

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
Re:MP-2 > UA-5?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2003, 06:03:17 AM »
i think that'll sound dank, though I am not speaking from much experience.  When I saw this thread, I thought to myself, "i hope this us-5 has a presence mod and not a warm one."  Turns out my guestamation was correct, so I say go for it!

Offline joeshambro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2003, 02:51:46 PM »
I think that would sound great.. I"ve always thought the mp2 had a round, "boxy"sound that was really pleasing on the ears... as does the UA5's A/D...  so they'll match well together.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2003, 03:22:33 PM »
are you running XLR-out of the MP-2 into the XLR-in on teh UA-5?  That's two preamp stages, your levels are going to be way hot.

Try going 1/8" out of the MP-2 and RCA in on the back of the UA-5.  I've done that with my PSP-2 once or twice and I think the RCA's on the UA-5 bypass the preamp stage.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

cpclark

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2003, 03:49:40 PM »
are you running XLR-out of the MP-2 into the XLR-in on teh UA-5?  That's two preamp stages, your levels are going to be way hot.

Try going 1/8" out of the MP-2 and RCA in on the back of the UA-5.  I've done that with my PSP-2 once or twice and I think the RCA's on the UA-5 bypass the preamp stage.

this is true about the 1/8 into the rca's, no preamp stage and i think, being a current and former mp-2 user, that this would be a great combo for either the stock or p-mod ua-5, if i can ever get external power to my ua-5 i have before i sell my mp-2, it might be a good comp, maybe run my v2 in it as well at some point,let us know how it sounds, probably will be very pleasing

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 04:19:09 PM »
I recently told Doug Oade about the V3 v UA5 comparison I'm gonna do, and here's what he head to say when I brought up running V3 analog out > UA-5 RCA-in:

"If you use the UA5 RCA inputs, one of the lesser op amps ( 4570) is
still in circuit, but it is a bit better than stock, but not as improved
as the XLR ins. The UA5 will overload at +14 and the V3 outputs +25 at
0DBFS, so that wont work either."
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2003, 04:23:30 PM »
I just ran V3(xlr>rca)>UA5's rca line inputs as a 16bit patch chain at YMSB last weekend.  I was using the V3 at 24/48 into a laptop and there was only 2 sets of mics, so I wanted to try to help out the patchers.  It didn't work.  I was running the V3 as I normally would, not taking into account that the UA5's line inputs won't take the +25 output of the V3.  I overloaded the UA5 and the 16bit patchers got a "brickwalled" signal.  Sorry guys, I tried!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2003, 07:41:10 PM »

Probably will do it the same way we ran the V2>UA5.  First I'll try it w/ the gain all the way down on the UA5 and go into the UA5 via the XLR's and adjust levels with the MP2.  Hopefully this won't be too much gain and I'll still get the p-mod benefits.  If it is too much gain then I'll have to go the way Lee describes.  Should be interesting...

thanks,
Drew

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 12:07:33 PM »
Let me know how this sounds. I am running TL>mp2>adc-20>d10 pro. My last recording came out a bit bright. I have was thinking about getting a stock ua-5(mod it myself) and using that for a/d instead of my adc-20. I am also thinking about just runing mp2>d10

cpclark

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 05:49:08 PM »
ive ran the mp-2 -> adc-20 and i found the same results you did, very bright, lacking bass, a little harsh on the ears too, i would suggest using the sony a/d or finding another that would better suit your tastes

Offline utahtaper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 10:56:42 PM »
I just ran V3(xlr>rca)>UA5's rca line inputs as a 16bit patch chain at YMSB last weekend.  I was using the V3 at 24/48 into a laptop and there was only 2 sets of mics, so I wanted to try to help out the patchers.  It didn't work.  I was running the V3 as I normally would, not taking into account that the UA5's line inputs won't take the +25 output of the V3.  I overloaded the UA5 and the 16bit patchers got a "brickwalled" signal.  Sorry guys, I tried!

Just a suggestion but why not run attenuators betweent the pre and the UA5 to cut 10 or 15 db's off the signal before it hits the UA5?
Recording:
SKM 140's>LC3>ACM660

Playback:
Tascam DA30MKII DAT player
Jolida Tube CD player

Sota Saphire w/grado TLZ> Melos 333> Melos 400 monoblocks> Legacy Focus

Mcintosh MR71>c22>MC60 monoblocks

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2003, 11:45:41 PM »
This sound worked well with my oktavas. It help with the lose bottem end. But the Tl dont have the same bass issues as the oktavas. I might just run into the deck. I might get a ua-5 anyway as a toy

ive ran the mp-2 -> adc-20 and i found the same results you did, very bright, lacking bass, a little harsh on the ears too, i would suggest using the sony a/d or finding another that would better suit your tastes

cpclark

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 03:15:47 AM »

Just a suggestion but why not run attenuators betweent the pre and the UA5 to cut 10 or 15 db's off the signal before it hits the UA5?

this is a good idea, hadnt even crossed my mind, this would work , might have to try, v2-> ua-5 with shure attenuators at -20db

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 08:57:34 AM »

Yes, this should work fine.  I just didn't have any attenuators on me, nor did I even consider the fact I might need them.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: MP-2 > UA-5?
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 05:38:11 PM »
Nic Caudle and I were taping last night and we were talking about running his MP-2 in front of my UA5.  And we were wondering how all that would work.

Did a search here and found this thread...

But I still have a few questions, of any folks that run any kind of preamp in front of their UA5:

1)  Is the UA5s own pre-amp work for both the XLR and 1/4" inputs on the front?  If so, wouldn't running a pre into that input just run the signal through the UA5s pre, basically "fouling" the original pre-amped signal???  Wouldn't there be too much gain going into the AD, with 2 preamps running???

2)  I think I already know the answer to my first question, and that is yeah, yeah, and yeah...  Not the way to run a pre-amp in front of the UA5...  Which bring me to my second question:  Running the pre-amp into the rear RCA inputs on the back, that must be the way to go, right??? 

3)  If this is correct, how should I be thinking about setting my levels with both gain on the MP2 and the volume know on the UA5???  Should the UA5 be set to zero and then use the MP2 for gain?  Or a the other way around, or perhaps a balance between the two???

Thanks for any help!!!

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com