Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: make video upload friendly  (Read 2844 times)

Offline yawnfactory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
make video upload friendly
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:42:40 PM »
converting audio tapes has never been an issue, but i have some vhs that i wish to set free. they've been transfered to the hard drive, but i have no clue how to make it
upload friendly for dad, ttd, etc.  please help

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
Re: make video upload friendly
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
For Windows, I'm a big fan of Sony Vegas, great for editing, adding cuts, authoring DVDs, and it also has an upload to Youtube menu option.

The $40 version should do you fine. If you can edit audio, you can use vegas.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:31:18 PM »
thanks, but a free program will be fine as no editing needs to be done.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »
Windows or Mac?

Windows Movie Maker works OK, with the Windows Vista version being better than the newer version in Windows 7.

iMovie on a Mac.

Most free video software isn't as good as free audio software available. I found that the money I spent on Vegas was worth it for less hassle.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline yawnfactory

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
windows. i have the movie maker program you mentioned, but i read somewhere that it converts it down. its already in .mpg @ 6.75 gb. seems the roxio converter does that automatically.  hope this helps. anyone else out there have any recommendations as how i can get it upload ready? seems like this one will take 2 discs, and i have little clues as to the diff between dvd5 and dvd9.  or does it really make a difference? i'd rather not degrade the raw source in any way.

thanks

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »
Dvd5 holds approx 65 mins compressed to 8mbps (it really depends on menus, and audio source too)
8mbps is the highest most recommend for DVD as over that can cause issues on playback, I personally would never try to go under 6mbps
Dvd9 is dual layer and will hold double (not really double, and again depends on audio and stuff)
With that said if your video is 6.75 gb and you don't want to break it into multi disc you will need to use dvd9 and should have no trouble getting that on one disc since it will hold over 7gb
Now with dvd9 you need a layer break point. The layer break must be at a point where layer one is bigger in size/time compared to layer two.

(DVD) I have a Mac so I can't give exact direction but it will give you the basic idea...
Capture the VHS to your comp, which it sounds like you did, in .dv or .avi (uncompressed you will get a file size of approx 2gb per 10 minutes, so if you captured correctly your video is approx 33 minutes)
Edit anything you want to like fades, chapter markers, audio adjustments, whatever
Export to DVD (you should end up with files that are .vob among a few others)
These files should be in a folder named video_ts, you will also want to have a empty folder named audio_ts for better playback ompatability and it's not a bad idea to have a folder named extras_ts that you put the text file and md5 in
After ou have the files simply use whatever program you use to make md5 for audio to make one for the video_ts folder
Goto your torrent program and pretend its a audio upload, it's exactly the same from there

(YouTube/iPad) you don't want the DVD files for this
For this you want .mp4 or some other comparable file
Generally speaking you will just export to the quality settings you wish based on the file size you want in the end
Of course these files you can't torrent at ttd like the DVD files above
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:36:29 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com