Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: turntable/record player  (Read 19409 times)

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So much music, so little time.
Re: turntable/record player
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2015, 02:55:18 AM »
thinking of going with the u-turn.  is the acrylic platter a necessary upgrade or would my money be better spent on upgrading to that Grado Blue1 cartridge?

Better cartridge will have much bigger impact on sound.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2016, 02:25:56 AM »
As of now, I have not purchased anything yet. I have a mcintosh mc2505 that needs repair and a pair of 4 ohm speakers and an enormous record collection coming to me through a family member. I am looking for recommendations on a record player (I don't want to have to anything to make it play besides plug it in) (I have looked at rebuilt duals by Bill Neumann at fixmydual and I am interested in them but not set on the dual), a preamp, preferably tube with a good phono stage, something that will last a long time and has more than just the phone stage. Budget $1200
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2016, 11:41:38 PM »
Getting a tube preamp and a record player on your budget may be tough, as the tube preamps can run $1200 by themselves and getting one with an integrated phono stage may be outside of your budget if you still want a record player. Look on Audiogon and see if you can land a used Conrad-Johnson, Cary, or Audio Research, but you may be pushing $1200 even used for one with a phono stage. Going solid state for the preamp will definitely be cheaper and may be a better use of funds if you are on a budget.

I just bought a Rega RP1 with the Performance Pack for a bedroom system and I like it a lot. The turntable was a demo for $315 and the performance pack (which included an upgraded cartridge) was another demo for $150, making the total $465. Add in a set of cables and you are at $500. Perhaps you can budget something like $500 for a starter turntable (like a Rega RP1, a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, or a Music Hall 2.2) and try to find a used solid-state preamp for the rest.

As a note, the packaging and the dealer said that setting up the RP1 would take two minutes, but it took me well over an hour, and I have some experience with setting up turntables. Installing and aligning the cartridge took some time, and the counterweight setting that Rega recommended was not accurate so I needed to fiddle with it myself. Now that I have it dialed in, it sounds very good.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »
The Bellari tube pre is around $300, and well reviewed. Leaves enough for entry level table and pair of powered speakers or good cans.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
I am all fixed up, just need to have my mcintosh repaired now
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2016, 10:45:25 PM »
The Bellari tube pre is around $300, and well reviewed. Leaves enough for entry level table and pair of powered speakers or good cans.

JAson

Bellari is not a real tube pre. It's a hybrid with a tube buffer stage and solid state everything else. You can likely find hybrid models like the Bellari in the given price range but finding a full tube pre will be really difficult.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »

What'd ya get?
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2016, 12:59:34 PM »
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2016, 07:22:24 PM »

What'd ya get?

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=175846.0

You bought Rays turntable ? or same model ?

I bought Ray's, above my budget but I'm excited. I bought a musical surroundings phonomena and a passive preamp to go with an Oppo 103 and a lucid d>a
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com