Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA or 9V Battery Box for Naiant X-Rs?  (Read 4379 times)

Offline IMPigpen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Naiant IPA or 9V Battery Box for Naiant X-Rs?
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:56:06 AM »
So I have a pair of Naiant X-R omni capsule and dual RCA cables that terminate to an 1/8" stereo plug.  Right now I'm running a Tascam DR-60mkII, which has 2 XLR inputs with 48V phantom and an 1/8" stereo input for channels 3/4.  My main pair of mics are Neumann KM184s that I run into channels 1 and 2 with phantom.  I've run SBD feeds into channels 3/4, but have the X-R omnis to have options to run a second pair of mics (looking at spaced omnis for outdoors mostly).  I've been in no rush to get gear, so looking for opinions.

So the PIP from the DR-60 isn't enough to power the X-R caps.  So I'm looking at either a battery box or getting a Naiant IPA.   I'm looking at either a Sound Pro 9V with no bass rolloff (which is ~$70) or going the for the IPA which will run ~$110 but give me gain boost and also can be used down the line if I ever move to an active setup, etc.  I looked at the Church BBs which are cheaper, but when you add in the shipping Chris charges from Canada (and the wait time) it comes out around the same as the Sound Pro.

Any thoughts?  Thanks!
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Naiant IPA or 9V Battery Box for Naiant X-Rs?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »
Look at the X-Y preamp on Naiant's website.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 02:23:56 PM »
Look at the X-Y preamp on Naiant's website.

Hey thanks!  I did take a look at the X-Y preamp too.  It's right around the same price, with only different configurations of RCA inputs, which would work fine for the X-R capsules.  But I figured if the price is about the same, the IPA might be a better investment since it can take the stereo 1/8 input and still have a TB3M input available if I decide to move to other mic options with the IPA.  Just needs a show stereo TB3M>1/8 stereo cable for the output (which I have).  So many options though!  :)
Pres/Battery boxes: Sound Devices MixPre; Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

jcable77

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 03:21:13 AM »
I second the idea of looking into the x-y amp. I purchased mine from gormenghast a while back and love the thing. It came with cards and an 1/8th inch output cable from the amp. Ive since bought omnis and a stereo xlr output cable and its pretty versatile. I can run split omnis separately via xlrs to 3+4 of of my r-44 or run 1/8th inch into the line 4+5 inputs of my SD 302 for an on the fly 4 or 5 channel mix. Both sound great for the size and expense. Can also run them straight into a dr-05 for a real low pro rig with just pip and they sound great there as well. Im definitely happy with the set up. For the size and cost the naiant mics are well worth it IMO.

Offline IMPigpen

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
Thanks for the second recommendation for the X-Y amp.  I might have to talk to Jon to see his thoughts on the X-Y vs. the IPA too.  Great info though!  And I agree, that for the price, the X-R caps after great and versatile. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com