Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re-cabling Nevaton MCE400's - good idea or bad?  (Read 3616 times)

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re-cabling Nevaton MCE400's - good idea or bad?
« on: May 30, 2012, 04:24:20 AM »
I have a pair of Nevaton MCE400's. One mic has developed an intermittent noise when listening back. I have been told it is either a cable shield break (or multiple breaks), or a poor cable connection at the capsule.

Now these mics are not at all robust and to prevent the problem re-occurring I am thinking about just getting both mics completely rewired with sturdy cable and bomb-proof connections with both the mic and the XLR. I have somebody reasonably local who, whilst not familiar with Nevatons, is a professional repairer of all audio studio equipment. He reterminated a pair of mics for me last year and they work fine so I am reasonably confident in his ability.

What I need to know is - is it a good idea to try to completely rewire/cable these mics, or am I best asking him to just repair the faulty mic? If it is ok to go, is there anything my audio guy needs to know particular to Nevatons to carry out this job successfully. Also, should he re-use the existing XLR connectors rather than put new ones on? Any advice would be very gratefully received!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Re-cabling Nevaton MCE400's - good idea or bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:50:23 PM »
don't know Nevatons, but they are pretty similar to the DPA 406x, and my understanding is that it is very easy to screw up the cabling into the mic itself.  Having him do stuff back at the XLR ends may be OK, but I would not have completely new cables connected to the mic itself by anyone other than an authorized Nevaton repair service.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
Also, I think that the Nevaton's have some electronics in the XLR connector.  I don't know how much of an additional complication that is, but it probably doesn't make it any easier! :)

[EDIT:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=98880.msg1479365#msg1479365]
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:19:36 PM by aaronji »

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
Changing out the cables on these mics is very doable with the right tools and skills.

I have several broken mce400s, it seems that the weak point is where the cable goes into the mic body. there is a cap that can be un-threaded where the cable goes in.
Once that is off and the cord grip is slid down the cable there are three soldier joints in there. This is where they seem to break. It is somewhat tight to re-soldier them, but with the right
soldiering tip it would be basic for anyone with some soldiering experience.

Be careful when unthreading the wire retaining cap on the body, I have one that the cap on the diaphragm end of the body came off, which leaves the diaphragm exposed and probably makes the mic unfixable.

You cannot change out the XLR connector as there is a small printed circuit board within the MCE400 XLR connector. The soldiering on this end is pretty basic and easy to do.

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:30:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I have played around with mic today and the noise does seem to be originating at the connection of the mic body to the cable. So would I be better just asking my guy to re-solder as per JD's advice, or will the same thing just happen again in the future? If this is the weak point in the system, apart from simply repairing, is it possible to make it more robust?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:44:18 PM by yates7592 »

Offline JD

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I have played around with mic today and the noise does seem to be originating at the connection of the mic body to the cable. So would I be better just asking my guy to re-solder as per JD's advice, or will the same thing just happen again in the future? If this is the weak point in the system, apart from simply repairing, is it possible to make it more robust?

Not sure what could be done to make it more robust, the cord grip is kind of lacking in design. I had thought about re-soldiering and then filling it with a little epoxy, but then it could not be fixed again if it were to break.

Honestly, I would have it re-soldiered and use as is. It could always be fixed again if needed.

I have had my personal set for about 4 years. They get used allot and I have had no issues with them.
The broken ones I have were knowingly bought that way. I have no ideal what led up to their failure.

Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »

Not sure what could be done to make it more robust, the cord grip is kind of lacking in design. I had thought about re-soldiering and then filling it with a little epoxy, but then it could not be fixed again if it were to break.

Honestly, I would have it re-soldiered and use as is. It could always be fixed again if needed.

I have had my personal set for about 4 years. They get used allot and I have had no issues with them.
The broken ones I have were knowingly bought that way. I have no ideal what led up to their failure.

Would it possible to get some shrink tubing on the cable at the capsule end when it's apart?  If so that could provide some strain relief.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »
**marking for info**

The last time that I used my MCE400's they were fine. But I have two questions for the future use of these.

1) I would like to extend the cable length or at least modify the current cable to add an additional 12'-15' "jumper cable" for use on a stand outdoors.  I do not want to just have a full size XLR-XLR 10' jumper cable up in the air on the stand...  Yes, I know that I would still have an "open and an exposed to the elements" cable connection jumper somewhere on the stand, but I would prefer this to be done by inserting a "connector cable" between the mic and the factory, full size, XLR.

2) Are there any certified Nevaton repair techs in the USA that could work on my mics if I has an issue?  I would really like to see some sort of "strain relief" reinforcement added where the cable connects to the mic capsule.  I DO NOT want to have to send these mics back to Russia for repair if it is needed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:31:03 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline MarkE

• Taperssection Member
Re: Re-cabling 's - good idea or bad?
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 11:37:39 AM »
Also marking for info......

Would love to know if there is a US based Repair center...

Bought a pair a few years back. One mic had a low end "rumble". Sent in for service.. I guess the Russian guy who repairs these was getting out of it? Doing some other "more important" work, etc. Anyway they were there for a year. Got them back un repaired and would love to get these things going.. A repair, new cables (longer) and maybe some form of modification. I run a Naiant Tinybox . Used them a couple times and loved them. Now they sit in a drawer.. Any info, or anyone who thinks they can help me, let me know...

MarkE
open: Dpa 4022 > Naiant Midbox> Edirol R-09hr or iRiver H120
Stealth : Sonic Studios DSM-6S > Custom Battery Box> Edirol R-09hr
Stealth : Nevaton MCE400 > Naiant Tinybox > Edirol R-09hr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com