Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD-20 mod to 24bit?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
AD-20 mod to 24bit?
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:00:39 AM »
can the ad-20 be modded to do 24 bit conversion? I have been looking at other options for pre's, but would like to stay at 24bit, but dont want to fork out a grand for a a/d.   these seem to be had in the affordable price range...if someone could swap out the guts for 24 bit, it seems this would be ideal unit.  small, runs of batts (I am guessing - no idid not search!)  >:D >:D 

thanx guys...just looking around for other  options

b
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: AD-20 mod to 24bit?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 12:22:04 AM »
Can you find the pinout for the AKM5351 chip used in there?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 06:03:30 AM »
the Core Sound Mic2496 is basically the same size as the AD-20, and that outputs 24 bit.  might be easier to buy that instead of trying to figure out a mod.  just a thought...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 08:21:53 AM »
You could use the A/D in whatever recorder you are thinking about using for 24bit... the R-1's A/Ds sound spectacular to my ears.  I've heard one recording using the MT's A/Ds, and it sounded really good too.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 09:16:46 AM »
it already otputs 20 bit right? so recording the normal ad20's output to a 24 bit recorder would get more bits than sending to a dat/jb3

Offline lstelie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:50:40 PM »
it already otputs 20 bit right? so recording the normal ad20's output to a 24 bit recorder would get more bits than sending to a dat/jb3

Good question I'm interested.
How would a AD-20 -> MicroTrack give ? Good association ? bad one ?
TIA

Offline spoogles

• Taperssection Member
  • fuck bush
    • showlist
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 12:37:35 PM »
tested my d mic 20 into the microtracker @ 24/48. everything sounded fine. seems to fill the last 4 bits with null data. so yes this seems to be better than a 16/48

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2006, 06:22:21 PM »
Rarely will you find any real-world AD converter with more than 20 bits of true resolution. Although does not advertize it, you can guess it from their published S/N ratio. And, well, not all of them are too careful when measuring things.

20 really good bits would give you an S/N of about 120dB. Several of the "so-called" 24 bit boxes spec at below 100dB S/N which to me suggest that their true resolution is about 16 bits (16 true bits is about 96dB S/N). The Edirol R1 I tried measuring on came in at about 15 bits (it might have been a faulty individual though) so the last 9 bits were simply meaningless noise.

In conclusion, if you have a quality 20bit converter you are about as good as typical converters get today. I would see no reason to upgrade that as probably the S/N is governed by the analog circuits rather than the AD.

Gunnar

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com