Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Boundary mount angle questions  (Read 4639 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Boundary mount angle questions
« on: May 31, 2018, 03:29:25 PM »
My caveman-level understanding of boundary mounting a mic is that (assuming the mic is properly mounted so it's close enough to the boundary) it reinforces the sound coming towards the boundary by reflecting it back to the mic.  So what I'm wondering about is how the angle between the boundary surface and the direction of the sound source comes into play.  It would seem to me that when the boundary surface is 90* perpendicular to the sound source, the sound arriving directly from the source is reinforced to the greatest degree possible, and when the boundary surface is parallel with the direction of the sound source there would the least amount of reinforcement.  If that's correct, then the amount of boundary surface effect would increase as the angle of the surface is turned back closer to 90* perpendicular, right?

With respect to the above I'm basically ignoring reflected sounds from other surfaces in the room.  But when those are taken into account, they would also be reinforced by the boundary, right?  So, if the boundary surface is parallel to the direct sound source, there would be minimal boundary effect with respect to the direct source, but maximum effect with respect to sound reflected off a side wall, right?

I realize my understanding of all this is "like chimps at their first fire."  The information I've been able to glean from Googling hasn't quite cleared up the things I ask about above though (obviously).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

Re: Boundary mount angle questions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 02:34:59 PM »
Any thoughts about this?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »
I imagine it as following. If that's not right, please correct me.

The sound source causes a pressure waves in the air. The air molecules oscillate, approach each other and move away from each other. They have a certain velocity and create pressure between themselves. Near the surface, they have no place to move. So the energy of the velocity is transformed into pressure.

Edit:
Gutbucket explained it below.

This is why the acoustic pressure is higher in the boundary layer and the microphone has a stronger signal.
My guess is that the sound wave angle does not have a big impact because the molecules will not slip on the surface. But I can be wrong.

The main advantage of the boundary microphone is that you eliminate the reflection from the surface. E.g. when you have a microphone at some distance from the back wall, you first encounter the direct sound and then the reflected sound from the back wall. With the boundary microphone on back wall, you avoid this reflection and encounter only direct sound (and reflections from other surfaces).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:27:09 PM by kuba e »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 08:06:34 PM »
The main thing is that sensitivity to direct arriving sound is increased by 6dB while sensitivity to indirect reverberant sound increases by 3dB.  Its that 3dB increase in direct/reverberant ratio which is the primary aspect of the boundary mounting "magic trick".

How much does boundary to source angle matter?  It probably does some near the far edges but I dunno how much or how to quantify it.  The occlusion effect of going past any boundary edge will be far bigger.  Probably best to try it in whatever situation you are thinking about to get a good empirical seat of the pants feel for what is happening.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:55:29 AM »
Found this on a Schoeps page:

Boundary layer microphones have remarkably uniform frequency response for all angles of sound incidence. This provides an especially natural-sounding reproduction of room sound. Additionally, the boundary layer effect offers an increase in sensitivity.
https://schoeps.de/en/products/categories/boundary
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »
Thanks guys!

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »
I think of boundary mounting in terms of 3d polar-pattern visualization as cutting whatever pattern you place against the boundary in half down the middle.  Omni becomes hemispheric.  Cardioid half an apple, etc.  Or maybe mirroring or folding in half, as that's somewhat more analogous to the sensitivity doubling across in the remaining half of the original polar pattern.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
BTW, the +6dB direct / +3dB indirect increase in while sensitivity is "per boundary".  Imagine the microphone flush mounted in the center of a big flat 2-dimensional wall.  If you put the microphone in the corner between two boundaries the increase in sensitivity is doubled to +12 direct / +6dB indirect.  If you place in the apex of a 3-way corner (2-walls + ceiling or floor) sensitivity increase is +18/+9dB.

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 03:33:56 PM »
Thanks for clarification. Does it mean that only sound coming from perpendicular direction (for one boundary) has ratio +6dB direct/+3dB indirect in boundary layer? Have the sounds coming from other angles smaller ratio of direct/indirect?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:35:43 PM by kuba e »

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »
It means that more-or-less regardless of the angle of incidence, sensitivity is increased twice as much for direct-arriving sound compared to the diffuse reverberant sound which arrives from all directions.

Does it mean that only sound coming from perpendicular direction (for one boundary) has ratio +6dB direct/+3dB indirect in boundary layer?
^Yes (but not only)
Have the sounds coming from other angles smaller ratio of direct/indirect?
^No (not significantly anyway)

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »
Please, one more question. Why are direct sounds increased by +6dB in boundary layer while reverbant sounds only by +3dB? When it does not matter the angle of incidence, what causes this difference?

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:12 PM »
Good question!

I have to think about it, and maybe research that a bit.. 

Lets see, the presence of the boundary creates a localized pressure build up which is what increases sensitivity.  Direct sound arrivals are coherent waveforms and reverberant diffuse sound is incoherent.

Incoherent means the reverberant sound arrives essentially as innumerable, indistinct waveforms with random phase relationships from all directions at once, and these get superimposed upon one another at the microphone diaphragm.  Since their phase-relationships are random, the the constructive and destructive interference of these innumerable arrivals are averaged, resulting in a 3dB sensitivity increase for non-coherent sound arrivals (reverberation). Whereas with phase-coherent direct arriving sound, the phase relationship between the direct arrival and its coincident reflection off the boundary are in phase with each other and constructively interfere, resulting in a +6dB gain without the destructive interference.

I think that's it.

This may address it (I read it years ago, and just found again with a quick search)-
THE OMNIDIRECTIONAL BOUNDARY MICROPHONE by Bruce Bartlett Copyright 2009
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0247/3799/files/boundary_mics_a9abcfe4-9502-4ccf-a277-65df0b61c770.pdf?1690

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
Thank you very much for the answer and for the link. I will read it. It makes sense, I just need to think a little bit about it.

Offline heathen

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:28 PM »
Maybe I'm thinking of this too much in terms of vectors like pool balls headed for the rail, but surely there must be some extreme angle where the direct sound just glances off the boundary and doesn't get the +6 dB boundary effect, right?  And if that's true (IF!), does the angle gradually increase the boost up to +6 as the angle moves from that extreme to being perpendicular to the direct sound source?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 07:23:24 AM »

GB thank you for the link and explanation!
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com