Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Q about UA-5 Re:nickspicks.com  (Read 1883 times)

Offline trippingjonny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • GO SOX!!!!
Q about UA-5 Re:nickspicks.com
« on: April 12, 2004, 11:33:28 AM »
hey for all that read the article on nickspicks.com about modding the UA-5.

i was thinking that i might want to give this a try because i really liek the A/D converters in that box but im using it as my soundcard for my PC do u think its possible to place 2 switches on the unit to restore/break those 2 signal paths? i was thinking that u could jsut remove that resistor place on in line with the switch and use those contact points for your send/return for the switch.  it is digital data so i dont know what a switch might do to it . my knowledge of elctroincs stops at the a/d converter  

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
Re:Q about UA-5 Re:nickspicks.com
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 12:35:12 PM »
oade says don't do it because it can introduce noise or other sheilding problems.  too lazy to find the link.
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 08:16:12 PM »
A digi-mod UA-5 will do everything it was originally designed for except serve as a playback soundcard. Therefore, you can still use it to do transfers, record, etc.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 02:19:59 AM »
You can add the switch - it has been done and I don't think there was any issue with the digital signal.   Try to keep the leads as short as you can.  I think it's a DPDT switch than can open one circuit while closing the other.

In fact, I think you could even leave the resistor in place and only put a switch on the jumper.  As long as you don't try to run the s/pdif out at the same time you have a computer hooked up (keep the switch open), it should work fine.

Not sure what would happen if you had the switch closed - you can test it by manually making the jump on your open UA-5 before doing anything else.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com