Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sound quality comparisons etc  (Read 2743 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
sound quality comparisons etc
« on: April 26, 2004, 02:59:08 PM »
I don't have my preamp with my rig yet, and that's my next step.  Let me first off say what my needs are (my recording goals are quite a bit different than most on the board).  I need my rig to be extremely portable.  I also need quick set up and tear down times (though I can get away with not tearing down all the way).  It needs to be portable and hand held (though part of the rig can be carried in my bag).  So far, I am recording with AT853's (SP model)>BB>JB3.  

As far as sound quality goes, I would prefer something that has a bright, crisp, detailed sound as opposed to something "warm".  To hear an example of the type of thing I record, listen here:  www.drumlineparkinglot.net/dci/Karl's 03 files/03SCVbook3.mp3

It always looked like a Sony SBM-1 was the right piece of gear for me, but those are increasingly hard to find.  My question is, what are the sound differences between an SBM-1, a mod SBM-1, and an AD-20?  I  might pick up a mod SBM-1 (they seem to be easier to find right now) but I am afraid the warmness of the mod will take away detail that I want (the AT 853's are already on the dark side tonally).  I am also hesitant to get an AD-20, because people seem dissatisfied with the sound, but that may be my only option at this point?

Also, my budget right now is about $350, but I might be able to stretch into the $500 range for a mod SBM.  Can't afford anything in the $900+ range!

thanks!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:sound quality comparisons etc
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 03:04:58 PM »
how about a ua5 or a mod ua5?

I don't think the modsbm-1 is going to satisfy you. A stock sbm-1 would fit the bill but you are correct, they are hard to find.

I like the little that I've heard from the inbox. What about one of the Graham Patten boxes? The adc20 (ad only) and the dmic20(pre, phanton, a/d) are both bright and very detailed sounding. the adc20 goes for $150 now, not sure about the dmic20 though.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 06:10:47 PM »
Aren't dmic20's pretty bulky?  And also the UA5?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 06:13:38 PM »
they're not very big, you could run everything in a small mountainsmith bag and be easily portable. They're bigger than the sbm-1 but they are relatively small. If you need smaller than a ua5 or dmic to you may need to look at the inbox.

also, if you're worried about powering the dmic or ua5 you can build very small, inexpensive battery packs. Someone with more experience can point you in the right direction for those.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 02:01:38 AM »
if you don't have to stealth, you could easily carry the ua-5 in a backpack or a sidebag along with the rest of your gear and still have some room.  if you're trying to stealth, i'd go smaller than a ua-5 tho, it is stealthable, but i don't think you'd want to do it all the time.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 04:38:19 AM »
hyper caps and a phantom power mod will brighten those puppies up!

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 10:27:21 AM »
Can't get more portable than this

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »
That's cool, mikesus, what's all in there?

Now, what are the sound quality comparisons of the Inbox, the UA-5, and the dmic20?

And yes, Schwill, I'm planning on the phantom power mod!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 01:16:13 AM »
the hyper caps aren't that much, only $80 for the pair

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 01:41:06 AM »
karl, get the ad-20.
it is a pre-amp and a/d convertor.
it has a bright, detailed, crisp sound like you want.
it is very small and portable.
it has an optical out to go digitally into your jb3, and bypass the less-than-spectacular a/d on the jb3.
it runs off of 9-volt batteries.
if your mics need phantom power (48v) get a ps-2.
altogether that should be less than 350.  as much as a digimod ua-5, and WAY more portable.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 06:11:21 PM »
Actually, at this point, what is looking really good is to get the UA5.  I like the fact that it is a preamp, a/d, and phantom power all in one.  Thanks, Simp-dawg, but I think if I went with the ad-20 that it would be cumbersome because I would still have to have a separate power supply.  UA5 w/ digimod w/ presence mod.

Thanks for all the help, guys and +t's all around!  You guys rock!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com