Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HD LCD TV question  (Read 17219 times)

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stop it.
HD LCD TV question
« on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
So a 32" flat panel is like $499 these days. Anyone know what the 1080p and 720p stuff means?? Any buying tips??
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: HD LCD TV question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:06:39 PM »
So a 32" flat panel is like $499 these days. Anyone know what the 1080p and 720p stuff means?? Any buying tips??
I have no clue but here is where I would start:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/tvs/index.htm
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline beanstalk

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 06:38:49 PM »
basicly 720 and 1080 is how many scan lines the tv has. In short the resolution. More scan lines, more information in the picture and high quality.

"I don't believe in a lot of things, but i do believe in duct tape."

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:52:43 PM »
Your off the air stations are typically broadcast in 720P - 1080P is a higher resolution, but Blu-ray is the only thing that supports it.  I've got a 720P projector that looks amazing at 100".  I think my DirecTV broadcasts at 1080i, which is between 720P and 1080P as far as quality.  You also want to look at the contrast ratio when selecting video (higher is better).  My projector is 12,000 to 1.

Josh

#Generalstrike for president in 2024

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 08:03:23 PM »
Most 32" lcd TVs are 720p. There are exceptions. I love my 1080p TVs, but my 32" Vizio lcd has a pretty damn good picture. I think you'll be happy with 720 or 1080. If you don't already, I do highly recommend having an HD package from your satellite or cable provider. If you're going to have a nice HDTV, you should enjoy its full capabilities. Yes, HD is an enormous improvement. (IMO-Directv is also an enormous improvement over cable)     
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »
Keep in mind that very little of what is broadcast in HiDef is actually filmed in 1080.  Very little.  I'd be shocked if it was anywhere near 5% or above.   Most is shot in 720 or is a SD signal upscaled to 720. 

With the cable and satellite companies adding tons more high def channels they end up compressing the signal anyways.   

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »
Don't rule out over-the-air HD broadcasts. Granted there aren't that many of them but if you are a sports fan, nothing is as good as live sports in HD on a big screen. Some of the PBS shows are also filmed in HD and they are a joy to watch even if you are doing so just for the picture clarity.

On Sunday NFL broadcasts, I can't decide which looks better, FOXs games broadcast in 720p or CBSs 1080i broadcasts.
(note, my above comments are based on a 34" HD CRT and I prefer it's picture to several 35" LCDs I have viewed)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:21:58 PM by flipp »

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Stop it.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 10:42:33 PM »
So basically - being on a budget as I am - the 720p will be fine? I don't have blu-ray, and I have comcast digital cable...
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask them where they're going and hook up with them later. - Mitch Hedberg

Offline mmadd29

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've stopped drinking, but only while I'm asleep
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 08:07:25 AM »
IMHO, the football games over the air, versus cable are much better quality wise.  I watch all football OTA because of that, and because I have a large antenna on my house and can pick up two other markets that most times show different games.
Superlux CM-H8K > UA5 > iriver h120 > Wave Labs > EAC

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »

shop around a lot.  I recently (in early Nov) bought a Westinghouse 32" LCD HDTV (720p) at Costco for $399 (and I'm very happy with the TV).  So before you buy, be sure to shop around and get the best price.

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Stop it.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:12 AM »
Any brands to avoid? I see really cheap ones made my brands I've never heard of...  I'm checkin all over, and I'll probably buy it after Xmas - hoping after Xmas sales are good.

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »
Find someone on TS.com who is looking to buy an xbox and go in on this deal with them:

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/206608/bundleId/21380/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do

Tell them you will see them the xbox for $150 plus shipping (retail is $200 + tax) and then you are getting a samsung 42" plasma for $650+tax.  smokin' deal.  32" is okay, but 42" will allow you appreciate HD more fully.

If you are sure you want 32", my girlfriend has this samsung and we like it a lot:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-32-Series-4-LCD-HDTV-LN32A450/sem/rpsm/oid/206521/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

there are some 5% off internet coupon codes (we found an 8% one for AAA members) which will put the price of this TV down to around $650.  I would expect the price to drop from $700 to $650 or $600 after the holidays.  If you do a lot of camparison shopping, I think you will notice that it is worth the extra $100-200 to go with a name brand.  You will be using the TV for years.
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Stop it.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
Well, my apartment has a place in the wall above the gas fireplace for a tv - its 36" wide so whatever i get has to fit in there. I'm thinking it could be at a bit of an angle as my couch is off to the side, and maybe that will allow a bit more room...  but I'll check the CC deal you mentioned...

edit: Do you still have that AAA code??

Offline NotSoBlüe

• Stop it.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
Also - being in Boulder - doesn't plasma have problems with altitude?

Offline Rusty M

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Private Profits, Socialized Losses
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 11:40:34 AM »
Well, my apartment has a place in the wall above the gas fireplace for a tv - its 36" wide so whatever i get has to fit in there. I'm thinking it could be at a bit of an angle as my couch is off to the side, and maybe that will allow a bit more room...  but I'll check the CC deal you mentioned...

edit: Do you still have that AAA code??

you have to actually be a AAA member because you access the circuit city website through a portal on your AAA member page.

I don't know much about the plasma/altitude thing.
One shortcut to all this BS is simply to let anyone buy into the Medacare Program for $300 a month. 

Medacare is already set up, already has covered surgeries and procedures, and other than allowing Medacare to bargain collectively with Drug Companies, it is an off the shelf program.

exactly, so why do we need a new bill?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com