Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-05  (Read 30234 times)

Offline UnknownVT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tascam DR-05
« on: April 04, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
 (was: Low price and Rebate - now EXPIRED)

Bargain - Heads up -

There is a current mail-in rebate of $20 for Tascam DR-05 (pdf)

The best price I have found is at the Guitar Center @ $59.99
(+Tax - since they are in just about every state)

You can go to a store and pick it up, or have it shipped Free.

The rebate has now EXPIRED and Guitar Center's low price is no longer available.

Hope that helps someone.

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam DR-05 - Low price and Rebate
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:16:45 AM »
Hey, I'm new here and I also stumbled across the DR-05 with the rebate special going on. I'm trying to gear up for festival season here.

I liked the features on the TASCAM DR-07MKII, and that I can play around with the direction of the mics up top. Does anybody have experience with these two devices to know if one is worth it over the other, or is the DR-05 pretty much the gold standard?

It also got me wondering why these are on rebate. Is it because Android apps pretty much make them less popular? And is that good or bad?

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
I have had a Dr-05 for about three years.  It has been trouble free and the battery life has been pretty decent.  It doesn't eat batteries like some other products. 

At GC's price of $59.99 minus a $20 rebate, it's hard to go wrong with the 05 as an entry level recorder.  I bought one when they were on sale for $49 or $59 and then the price jumped to $99.  $59.99 less a $20 rebate is the best deal I've seen on an O5 anytime.  Not sure if Musicians Friend is pricing them the same way or not. 

The reason for the rebates is probably because Tascam is trying to sell products.  Probably more of these things sell when school starts and at Christmas than at this time of the year is my guess. 

I doubt Android apps have made a dent in the sale of portable handheld recorders.   

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »
Cool, thanks, that gives me some confidence in going the Tascam route then since I haven't heard of the brand. I used to play guitar, so the Zoom one stuck out in my mind a bit, but the prices were higher and amazon seemed to favor Tascam more for features. I tried the DR-07, so I hope it's worth it. Otherwise if you're suggesting a DR-05 is probably the best for its level I can still cancel the order probably or return before the end of the month.

I think one benefit of a standalone vs an Android I'll get is that I can plug into a soundboard even, or use different mics without problems. I couldn't set my phone anywhere other than on person, and even then I'll always need a mic that hopefully works with an android device, so that was a major deciding factor for me.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »
I think the 07 has reverb and mics that adjust.  If you don't need those features, the 05 is a good deal at this price. 

I don't think android is quite there yet for recording purposes. 

If somebody ripped off your phone, would be more expensive than if your recorder gets ripped off. 

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 11:37:31 PM »
I liked the features on the TASCAM DR-07MKII, and that I can play around with the direction of the mics up top. Does anybody have experience with these two devices to know if one is worth it over the other, or is the DR-05 pretty much the gold standard?
I have the Tascam DR-07MkII - it is a very fine recorder -
on its internal mics it actually does very slightly better than the Teac VR-10 that I have been recording with extensively -

please see this (now long) thread -
Tascam/Teac VR-10 Digital Recorder

This Teac VR-10 does amazingly well on its internal mics -
there are several examples in that thread that show this -
(please see: Reply #9 and the follow up responses -
quotes and summary in Reply #15

Then comments on two of my recordings in posts directly previous to these two posts
Reply #74
Reply #89 )

I have actually done side-by-side recordings between the DR-07MkII and the Teac VR-10
in Reply #35 -
live recordings, and a more controlled test using a CD on my home audio system.

My take: the Tascam DR-07MkII seems to have very slightly better treble response and the Teac VR-10 is slightly better in the bass.
In isolation I would be very happy with either - the differences are only noticed when comparing side-by-side recordings -
to me that's a pretty severe test, and tantamount to nitpicking.

Battery life - I can get about 5.5hours on the Teac VR-10 using 2 AAA eneloops
BUT I can get over 15 hours on the DR07MkII using 2 AA eneloops
(the DR-05 ought to be in the same ballpark longevity)

The main attraction for me when I bought the Tascam DR-07MkII was the same as you - the ability to reconfigure the mics -
X-Y

and
A-B

However in reality all I've ever used is A-B  which is the same as the DR-05 configuration -

and a point in the DR-05 favor is that its mics are rated to 125db SPL -
this may seem minor -
but my very first recording had horrible distortion -
that was because the mics got overloaded....
so this is less likely to happen with the DR-05!

That's why I've also ordered a DR-05,
at that price it'd be silly not to....

BTW - if it means anything the Tascam DR-05 has been consistently
at or near the top of Amazon's Best Sellers in Portable Studio Recorders
as well as their Top Rated in Portable Studio Recorders

Hope that helps.

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
However in reality all I've ever used is A-B  which is the same as the DR-05 configuration -

and a point in the DR-05 favor is that its mics are rated to 125db SPL -
this may seem minor -
but my very first recording had horrible distortion -
that was because the mics got overloaded....
so this is less likely to happen with the DR-05!

Thanks much for taking the time to write a really useful review for me because I guarantee I'm going to have that same exact experience hehe. I think I'm going to go with the DR-05 now. Since I want to clamp it to various spots during shows I'm not going to feel as bad at this price if it does get ripped off, so it'll encourage me to spend a little more on a clamp and mics, and be more experimental too and just really use the hell out of the device.  :P

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 09:00:44 AM »
^^^ I wouldn't recommend leaving your gear completely unattended, even if it is only an inexpensive recorder...It would take seconds to pocket.

You should also think about what sort of quality you want out of your recordings.  If you're only interested in a souvenir for yourself, then the internals on these Tascams might be sufficient.  Otherwise, you might want to consider other options.

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
^^^ I wouldn't recommend leaving your gear completely unattended, even if it is only an inexpensive recorder...It would take seconds to pocket.

Good advice and agreed -
I am unfortunately one of those who does do a lot of unattended recordings
on a recorder that's even smaller and more pocketable - the Teac VR-10
(which is tiny shown below next to an AA battery, and the Tascam DR-07MkII about the same size as the DR-05 in question).

However mostly the recorder is usually "next" to me, or occasionally (at worst) in sight
- so although there is still a risk - it's less than one would imagine.

I am inattentive - because I am there primarily to take photos.

You should also think about what sort of quality you want out of your recordings.  If you're only interested in a souvenir for yourself, then the internals on these Tascams might be sufficient.  Otherwise, you might want to consider other options.

Again "mostly" true.

I do only record for my own usage so it is a kind of "souvenir".

BUT the results can be surprisingly good enough to draw these kind of comments:
(all from this long running thread: Tascam/Teac VR-10 Digital Recorder)
Please, not for even a split second am I even dare claiming these internal mic recordings are as good as proper microphones set up with good recording equipment - but.....

First a recording that is not mine - but was the one that convinced me of the sound quality of this tiny inexpensive recorder on its internal mics:

Terrific live recording by member cd2go using the VR-10 internals
linked in Reply #13 - from April 02, 2011 in thread New Tascam DR-03 competes with zoom H1
- cd2go's link to Archive.org (so it's free and legal)
http://www.archive.org/details/gpn2011-03-09.teacvr10.cd2go.flac24

That's a damn fine recording!
and
Damn, that sounds amazing. Defined and wide sound, zero distortion. Obviously very little stereo separation, but then again it's to be expected with L&R mics positioned that close. Stereo separation is not something I consider precisely "essential" so I can def. live with it. The recorder must have been mounted in an ideal place, although there is enough (in amount and close distance) audience sound to assume it wasn't much above the taper's head I think. Also, Irving Plaza is a standing-only venue so no chance of the taper being seated - he must have been among the audience or back at the sound desk.

Anyway, I simply have SERIOUS problems believing that recording to have been made with only those tiny internals. It sounds just too good for a $30 recorder. Even with ideal location and good moderate PA levels & SPL, I think it's just too good.

I might just get this. It's such small money that I've got not much to lose, and judging by that recordings, an awful lot to win. Thanks :)

Now some of my casual unattended recordings -
please see Reply #73 for full details -
Download Folder

Holy shit, that sounds nifty  :o

Amazing Blue Rondo by the way, what an amazing piece it is.

EVERYONE should visit this thread and listen to some of that recordings, it would help a lot to change the general assumption that internal mics are always, invariably, shit.

You can see in Reply #75
detail of how being "unattended" resulted in very low recording levels
- but even then it still drew that quoted remark above.

another recording - (please see: Reply #88 )
Download (4.83MB)

WOWZA!!! I am ALWAYS impressed with that cheap lil recorder. Sounds like a great recording with external mics and preamp! Id take that any day of the week!

I think it has a lot to do with location, location, location -
being small compact and all-in-one - the recorder can be placed in places where full recording gear cannot.
All my recording tend to be right up front, near where I am taking photos.

I think most will be pleasantly surprised at how good recordings can be from internal mics.

One might say these are just "lucky" recordings and internal mics are still mostly "cr@p"

A bad gear with excellent conditions will *never* get you an excellent recording, IMO. So the gear is good ;) You only have to get the best conditions and the good recording will happen eventually.
Well put -
on any gear - one only has to get one single superb result to be able to say its performance is good
- as you pointed out, it's impossible for bad gear to do that.

I'll give the analogy in photography -
most understand the lens is one of the most critical components -
It doesn't need for every single photo to be superb to prove any lens' IQ (image quality)
- it only needs one really technically good photo to prove the IQ -
as it is impossible for a poor lens to do that.

So that's why I said that recording of Grace Potter by cd2go proves how good the VR-10 and internals can be -
(given the right circumstances and operator)

Thanks

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
^^^  I have been to more than enough shows to know that if you're stuff isn't nailed down, there is some chance it will walk away.  Not just audio gear, either (jackets, phones, keys, coolers, etc.).  I even know someone who took her shoes off to dance at a show in NYC and had her shoes poached...

As for the audio from the internals on these Tascams, like I said, it depends on what level of quality you find acceptable.  This, of course, is purely subjective.  If these recordings are up to your standard, that's great.  Personally, though, I listened to a bunch of your clips and I'll just say that I disagree with LikeASong and Bean...

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 03:20:19 PM »
DR-05 at $60-$20 rebate plus a $10 mini SDHC card is about a small an investment one can make in a useable starting point that might or might not walk off. 

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:49 PM »
^^^  I have been to more than enough shows to know that if you're stuff isn't nailed down, there is some chance it will walk away.  Not just audio gear, either (jackets, phones, keys, coolers, etc.).  I even know someone who took her shoes off to dance at a show in NYC and had her shoes poached...

As for the audio from the internals on these Tascams, like I said, it depends on what level of quality you find acceptable.  This, of course, is purely subjective.  If these recordings are up to your standard, that's great.  Personally, though, I listened to a bunch of your clips and I'll just say that I disagree with LikeASong and Bean...

I have absolutely no disagreement with your take - and am grateful for your input.
and depending on one's location I agree with things "walking"

Of course internals on basically cheap digital recorders cannot possibly match top grade microphone and recording equipment -
I said as much I would not dare even to suggest such a thing.

However the internals from these recorders do surprisingly well
- even if you don't like the samples I posted -
please try the one cd2go posted of Grace Potter & Nocturnals .

I may still be a neophyte compared to most here - but I have listened to more live music than most -
doing photography of shows - at my peak I did 24 acts in one week -
and weekend of March 22-3 I did over 24 hours over two days at the Chicken Raid 2014.

I think I have good ears - although I do not claim to be "golden"
I do listen and examine recordings carefully using both my home HiFi system (taking over 1 month to audition my speakers alone)
and using headphones like the now legendary Sony MDR-V6 and the Philips SHE3580
I am not trying to boast - but just to say I do not have "cloth ears" -
but like you said it is all down to personal take - I recognize that recordings off these internal mics do fall short of true professional live location recordings -
but they do compare favorably to many live recordings I have heard from places like BT.eTree and Archive.org -
that does not mean the internals are the "bestest" - far from it (otherwise everybody would be recording with them) -
but they do acquit themselves quite well.

Thanks,

Offline UnknownVT

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
My order from Guitar Center arrived today -

Size comparison -

The main body of the DR-05 looks identical to that of the DR-07MkII -
but the DR-05 seems significantly smaller because of the simpler mic set up.

FWIW - I did some side-by-side recording tests - off CD on my home HiFi system

1. Excerpt from Lazarus Heart by Sting -

not my image - off the web re-sized and re-hosted
Recorder A Download (2.73MB)
Recorder B Download (2.73MB)
Recorder C Download (2.81MB)
Recorder D Download (2.84MB)

2. Excerpt from Erik Satie's Gymnopedie 1 played by Pascal Roge (classical acoustic piano)

Recorder A Download (2.09MB)
Recorder B Download (2.22MB)
Recorder C Download (2.13MB)
Recorder D Download (2.22.MB)

3. Excerpt from Recuerdos de la Alhambra played by John Williams (classical acoustic guitar)

Recorder A Download (2.67MB)
Recorder B Download (2.69MB)
Recorder C Download (2.8MB)
Recorder D Download (2.76MB)

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 05:02:30 PM »
Hey, here's my first official tape with the DR-05 I ordered last week. Let me know what you think, I was very happy with the results! Recorded at max .wav settings:

https://soundcloud.com/psychwolf/sleepcomesdown-live-at-the

I'm trying out the DR-40 tonight, so I'll post something similar to compare.

Offline psychwolf

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »

It is better than what bands are going to get from most audience recordings imo and it's of value to more than just me I'd say, including for networking shares for the bands I support. I can't afford the top quality recording gear yet, so while I'm aware the quality could be better, I think this is a good quality start to improve upon slowly as I get spare change to get bigger.

See my post above this for my first recording with a DR-05, I'd be curious to see what you think! I leveled a bit with sound forge.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com