Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Presonus Bluetube preamp??  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Long_Line_of_Geeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Presonus Bluetube preamp??
« on: October 15, 2005, 11:50:34 PM »
Is this thing any good? The price is certainly right. Could anyone give a noob some feed back?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Presonus Bluetube preamp??
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 01:37:13 AM »
14v AC.

How would you power it in the field?

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 11:20:15 AM »
Not Sure. It appears to be designed for field recording, and an aquantance of mine is currently using one to tape in the field, so there must be a way.

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 11:58:23 AM »
These arent really designed for field recording.  It's made as a 1/2 rack space so that it can be mounted side by side with the Presonus BlueMax compressor (also 1/2 rack space) in a single rack space. You could also mount 2 of the Bluetubes side by side for 4 channels of preamp.  These were really just designed as affordable pres for the home studio recordist.  They are pretty noisy though.  Wouldnt be too bad for the field since the ambient noise would cover the self noise of the pre, but I have heard one used in quiet conditions and you could definitely hear the preamp during quiet sections. They are decent when you use them as a DI box for an instrument, as the tubes warm up the sterile sound of an acoustic instruments pickup. Overall though I personally dont think it would warrant all the trouble it would take to power it in the field.  There are too many nice pres that work in the field already to mess around with this. The Edirol UA-5 is in the same price range and is a better pre all around (except for metering).
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 01:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice. The UA-5 was actually my first choice, I just stumbled across a bluetube on Ebay for half the price. Like all things, i guess you get what you pay for.

Appreciate the input!!!!!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com