Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Spaced Omni Bar - active capsules [BSC2s]  (Read 14154 times)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
DIY Spaced Omni Bar - active capsules [BSC2s]
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:44:59 AM »
So I made me a DIY spaced omni bar out of 3' aluminum tube. for my Busman BSC2's [Active caps]
Should work for any active style system.
I made this for myself, and no I won't make any for sale.
Someone could easily follow this pictorial and make their own easily, all parts were purchased at Lowes... except the RODE shock mount and the K&M clamp.

--Ian

Enjoy:    ;D

Parts:

End with Wedge Bolt inserted:

Shrink tubing on center:

PVC Hot melt glued in place over shrink tube:

Spray paint, first flat back then the (toxic) textured paint:

Final assembled with BSC2's:

Measures = about 41" spread:

41" end with tape measure:

Final all assembled in RODE Shock on stand:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:57:52 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
Re: DIY Spaced Omni Bar - active capsules [BSC2s]
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:45:47 AM »
very nice!! I have a weekend project.  Thanks
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
Nice work! 

If you have the capability to record more than 2 channels and another microphone, give it a try with a single directional mic in the center facing forward.  A cardioid or supercard with a rolled off bottom end works well for that. You could simply clamp it to the supporting stand directly under the omni bar and best if your clamp allows you to place that mic about 8" to 20" forward of the omnis. 

The setup pulls heat from music with ruthless efficiency like a good-cop/bad-cop interrogation team shaking down a perp.  The omnis contribute the spaced omni goodness- openess, naturalness, deep dimensional bottom-end and evelopement.  The directional mic brings out the clarity, details, and presence from the direct sound and solidifys the imaging.  Since it is pointing directly ahead it maximally excludes ambience and leaves that to the omnis, and instead focuses on the sound arriving from dead ahead.  It's a complementary match like sweet & sour, chocolate & peanutbutter, rock & roll. 

Pull up the the omnis and pan them hard left/right, adjust balance (and EQ if you do that), then pan the directional mic to center and bring it up until it blends best and brings out the "oh yeah!" in you.  Also try going louder than you think the center directional should be and bring it down to what sounds good.  Play with it a bit and be amazed. 

Avoid the strong temptation to add a typical near-spaced stereo pair in the center unless that's just for comparison.  If you feel you simply must use four mics instead of three, run the two in the center as X/Y  or M/S.. or point the fourth one directly away from the stage opposite to the center one and gain creative control over front/back depth, audience reaction and ambience.

Achieve mastery over the outdoor ampitheater, Ian, like a taper god.

Or just enjoy running two split omnis. ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »
Below is a link to a Michael Williams diagram for a cool mic config using 3 cardioids with the same Left-Right mic spacing as your bar.  It produces a recording angle of ~110degrees total (typical for the usual setups used around here), and leverages that spaced 3-mic goodness.

It's a Stereo Zoom 5-channel setup, but if you ignore the rear facing mics and mix the 3 forward facing mics to 2 channel stereo, you'll smile widely and feel the sun shining down on you like it was that gorgeous day you made the recording.

http://www.mmad.info/MAD/5Ch/5ch_Surround/Card/All/FTC55/B60/BPC40/Plan%20A.pdf
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:40:39 PM »
Nice work AA! will u please make me one :P ;D JK. I am using the large AB NolaBar and old tv rabbit ears for my ca14 omnis
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline SBW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:30:30 PM »
How far do you have to be from the stage to use omnis and how far apart should you put them?

I too have CA-14 omnis and wanted to use them but wasn't too sure how to set them up.  I can set up on a table 8-10 ft dead center in front of the stage w/ no problems.

Thanks,
SW

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:55:38 PM »
How far do you have to be from the stage to use omnis and how far apart should you put them?

I too have CA-14 omnis and wanted to use them but wasn't too sure how to set them up.  I can set up on a table 8-10 ft dead center in front of the stage w/ no problems.

Thanks,
SW

You will want the omnis much higher than a table surface to avoid chatter and make them sound as good as possible. Splitting them more than 1 foot is what most people do
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 01:57:56 AM »
Nice work! 

If you have the capability to record more than 2 channels and another microphone, give it a try with a single directional mic in the center facing forward.  A cardioid or supercard with a rolled off bottom end works well for that. You could simply clamp it to the supporting stand directly under the omni bar and best if your clamp allows you to place that mic about 8" to 20" forward of the omnis. 

The setup pulls heat from music with ruthless efficiency like a good-cop/bad-cop interrogation team shaking down a perp.  The omnis contribute the spaced omni goodness- openess, naturalness, deep dimensional bottom-end and evelopement.  The directional mic brings out the clarity, details, and presence from the direct sound and solidifys the imaging.  Since it is pointing directly ahead it maximally excludes ambience and leaves that to the omnis, and instead focuses on the sound arriving from dead ahead.  It's a complementary match like sweet & sour, chocolate & peanutbutter, rock & roll. 

Pull up the the omnis and pan them hard left/right, adjust balance (and EQ if you do that), then pan the directional mic to center and bring it up until it blends best and brings out the "oh yeah!" in you.  Also try going louder than you think the center directional should be and bring it down to what sounds good.  Play with it a bit and be amazed. 

Avoid the strong temptation to add a typical near-spaced stereo pair in the center unless that's just for comparison.  If you feel you simply must use four mics instead of three, run the two in the center as X/Y  or M/S.. or point the fourth one directly away from the stage opposite to the center one and gain creative control over front/back depth, audience reaction and ambience.

Achieve mastery over the outdoor ampitheater, Ian, like a taper god.

Or just enjoy running two split omnis. ;)

Ahhh sounds very nice, indeed. similar to the nakamichi 3 mic blend, in the 550 or the 350 decks...
I have always thought ( in my mind)  that 4 mics in stereo are better than 3, but I may try that set up, since I am trying to get stereo why have one mono and 2 syereo. Why not 2 pairs.
 or 3 for that matter...
Ideally I'd mix the omnis and a pair of cards in post.

I do like the way MS can acheive a wide or narrow stereo image, So I liken the one center mic and 2 omnis in a similar fashion.

Yes I have a DR-680

I do resemble this statement:
Achieve mastery over the outdoor amphitheater, Ian, like a taper god.
I can relate....
now to get to an amphitheater.

Thanx for the ideas...
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:04:14 AM »
very nice!! I have a weekend project.  Thanks

Go for it!

Took me longer than a weekend... but that was from concept to getting parts, then to  making then later painting. I also took time to sand and steel wool the bar and PVC. 
Had assistance from my heat gun for the shrink tubing, and hot met glue.
Including  heating the assembly slightly before coats of paint, and to aid the the evaporative off-gassing process to achieve the quality texture I desired...

please share your results and improvements...
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:05:33 AM »
Nice work AA! will u please make me one :P ;D JK. I am using the large AB NolaBar and old tv rabbit ears for my ca14 omnis
Bean... you could make one of these for your schemps easily...
easy ;D ;D ;D
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 02:16:33 AM »
PS I used the RODE shock because I had it and it was wider then the Nady (busman) mounts

or the Joe Meek's
that I own.
The Bar seemed to have less side to side sway with the wider shock mount. with this RODE mount:

at $49.95 I thinks it's over priced, But I got this a number of years ago and only use occasionally, as I like more lower profile shock mounts.
For this purpose it works very well.

--Ian
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:20:34 AM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 02:22:07 AM »
Below is a link to a Michael Williams diagram for a cool mic config using 3 cardioids with the same Left-Right mic spacing as your bar.  It produces a recording angle of ~110degrees total (typical for the usual setups used around here), and leverages that spaced 3-mic goodness.

It's a Stereo Zoom 5-channel setup, but if you ignore the rear facing mics and mix the 3 forward facing mics to 2 channel stereo, you'll smile widely and feel the sun shining down on you like it was that gorgeous day you made the recording.

http://www.mmad.info/MAD/5Ch/5ch_Surround/Card/All/FTC55/B60/BPC40/Plan%20A.pdf

Yes Yes Yes!
if you ignore the rear facing mics and mix the 3 forward facing mics to 2 channel stereo, you'll smile widely and feel the sun shining down on you like it was that gorgeous day you made the recording
I am sure this would be very fun to do!
than you
--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »

You can put them directly on-stage.  I try to stay say 3' or so away from the instrument souces (although last night I had three supercards in an equilateral triangle about 2' from the drums of an organ trio in a small room).  I'd suggest spacing omnis at least ~15" apart at a bare minimum unless you have a Jecklin disk or some other form of acoustic baffle between them, in which case they can be closer together.  ~2' apart is typically a good safe bet, but 3' or even 4' may be better in some cases.

Outside from farther back ~3' (1m) spaced omnis are typically a safe bet for straight 2 channel.   Using three channels that spacing works too, but with the addition of the third mic in the center you can go much wider with the Left/Right omnis without getting typical over-wide problems.  For the past year or so for outside festival recording, I've doubled my omni spread on multichannel channel setups to 6' apart and the results are twice as good.  :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:31:08 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 10:51:52 AM »
That is very nice man.
I may cop something like this for a lightweight portable omni bar..
It needs to easier to transport than just borrowing Skaggs's, and wider.

Right now I use a slightly beefier homemade 72" aluminum bar (also painted black!) for my regular gig.
I clamp my mics to it though, and your end-mount idea is a great way to shrink footprint.
The telescoping rabbit ears seem a little light for dangling expensive Schoeps caps on..

May also try out the non-phase aligned mid-forward config, see how that sounds compared to what I've been doing lately which is: omnis at 68" or so and centre-mounted XY hypers, all lined up exactly in an attempt at phase cohesion.

Blending those together is definitely better than the sum of its parts - though I'll let Lee decide whether that's because of Gestalt theory, Aristotle, or Bucky Fuller :)

-Cheers!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 12:06:53 PM »
Aristotle is out, it's either Gestalt or Bucky!

Ahhh sounds very nice, indeed. similar to the nakamichi 3 mic blend, in the 550 or the 350 decks...
I have always thought ( in my mind)  that 4 mics in stereo are better than 3, but I may try that set up, since I am trying to get stereo why have one mono and 2 syereo. Why not 2 pairs.
 or 3 for that matter...
Ideally I'd mix the omnis and a pair of cards in post.

I do like the way MS can acheive a wide or narrow stereo image, So I liken the one center mic and 2 omnis in a similar fashion.

Yes I have a DR-680

It took me a few years to fully realize this and work up the guts to really commit to it, but I think one of the most important things I’ve come to understand about multi-mic stereo recording (and by that I don’t mean close-mic’d, mixer panned recording like a typical studio setup or FOH stage-PA, but rather recording using a stereo array of more than 2 microphones) is that there tends to be less value in doing the multiple mic thing if simply adding additional pairs to known good 2-channel stereo configurations.

The problem is that aside from mixing highly separated pairs, such as stage-lip mics + room mics, which is more like mixing AUD + SBD and often works well if done right, most tapers go about experimenting with more than 2 channels by tying to combine stereo pairs which are placed too close together.  In short, problems can arise when two pairs of mics optimized for stereo on their own are placed too close to each other and mixed.

Doing it that way is common because it is safe, practical, seems obvious, and others do it- people know their usual 2 channel stereo configurations (ORTF, DIN, Spaced omnis, or whatever) work well and their hope is to improve things by simply adding another pair and mixing them.  Unfortunately that doesn’t work well consistently.  For it to be more fruitful, one ideally needs to throw out the safety net of the original two channel setups and re-think things as a 3 (or 4 or more) channel setup from the start.  Otherwise, with some exceptions, it may be a better bet to simply run the two stereo pairs placed on the same mic-bar or mic-stand as two separate stereo rigs with the idea of simply comparing them against each other.  If it works out that mixing those pairs together is an improvement that’s great, but if it doesn’t there is no letdown from unfulfilled expectations.

Good exceptions are the ones I’ve mentioned previously, namely using a single center mic or a coincident X/Y or M/S pair between omnis spaced at least 3’- which works for both the omni pair alone, the coincident pair alone, or both mixed together even though that would probably be better if the omnis could be placed wider.  I think that’s because in those cases you have 4 mics but only 3 different mic locations (the coincident center pair counts as a single location) and end up with three different phase relationships between those three points instead of the far more complex phase relationship situation of four different locations with a total of six different phase relationship combinations. 

Having 6+ channels available on the 680 opens up lots of options.  Sometimes I’ll run a standard stereo pair in addition to a dedicated 3 or 4 channel setup to compare them, just because it makes it easy to do so and keeps me on track with a good reference.  And sometimes those intentionally separate recordings made simultaneously into the same recorder mix together nicely, even though that wasn’t really the idea.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com