Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: FINALLY: new "DPA 4080" Miniature CARDIOID Microphone, Lavalier, Black  (Read 16696 times)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Maplewood, MN
what ?
you mean they didn't produce this ...specifically for low profile concert taping ?
HOW DARE THEY!

;D ;D ;D
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline dunebug81

• Trade Count: (0)
What would be the chance of these new mics having the same microdot interface as the 406x's and can be used with the MMA6000??
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
What would be the chance of these new mics having the same microdot interface as the 406x's and can be used with the MMA6000??

The 4080s have microdots and behave well with the MMA6000, I was told the follow-on series would also, but I don't know for sure.

Jeff

Offline dunebug81

The 4080s have microdots and behave well with the MMA6000, I was told the follow-on series would also, but I don't know for sure.

Jeff

Sweet, might have to pick up a pair of these when they come out.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
DPA US says they will indeed use the microdot connectors and work with the MMA6000, they hope for release early fall.  They expect them to be available in Europe before they come here to the US.

Jeff

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo

But frankly, the idea that it will be indistinguishable from the 402x series is pretty misleading.  It will have the clarity and crisp high-end that DPA consistently delivers, but a microphone with these specs is just going to sound thin on the bottom end when compared to the 402x mics, whether a venue is bass-heavy or not. 

Quote from: reliable dpa insider 2008-04-28
THIS JUST IN:
Just received a set of prototypes of a "20 to 20K" flat response version with the intended application of "hanging" mics for over choir and/or orchestra..recorded acoustic guitar as well as solo voice here at our offices with jaw dropping results. When compared to 4011 and 4021's the sound is almost indistinguishable. Being our harshest critic, I am more than impressed.

don't forget to consider the source material used, there is not going to be much low end with acoustic guitar or solo voice. Guess we'll have to wait and see how the mini and compact cardioid DPA's compare sonically in a PA'ed rock-concert type of setting.

I'm pretty excited about the full range mini cards though, I would definitely  like to have a more stealthable option than the 4022's in my toolbox.   :) 

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 03:31:49 PM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline dunebug81

Ive never used a cardioid mic but since they are directional I assume that I would have more of an "upfront" kinda sound.  I could see where that would be useful at outdoor shows.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline dunebug81

and using them to tape loud rock music in crappy clubs would I notice a difference between at 20-20k set vs a 40-20k set?
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline dunebug81

Sweet, well them I'm good to go :)

Now I just gotta find out who I need to give some money to.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
Seeing as how every other cardiod in the DPA line bottoms out at 40hz, I'd think that the freq. repsonse values might look more like 40hz-20khz for the musical response version.
Just me and voicing some guesstulations.

this is not true.  the official published specs might say something like 40Hz-20kHz +/- 1dB (or whatever their tolerance is, I didn't check).  but that's just because DPA advertises its mics as having a very flat repsonse.  The mics will pick up sound below 40 Hz, but it slopes off a bit down there, so maybe the frequency response is -5dB at 20Hz.  or maybe its -10dB at 20Hz.  either way, DPA makes a marketing decision to say 40Hz-20kHz +/- 1dB, rather than saying 20Hz-20kHz +/-10dB.  because to DPA, its more important to show that the mics are very flat, rather than to show the lowest registers of the frequency response.  other companies will publish specs that say 20Hz-20kHz, but then leave off a tolerance measurement.  either way, the DPA standard and compact cardiods definitely go below 40Hz, they certainly don't just stop on a dime with nothing below that.

Offline sullen

• Taperssection Member
Schoeps sound nice, but it's not what I heard at the venue.... 

Damn straight  :headphones:

DPA Forever  ;D
don't > care > to > list > gear > in > signature

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com